Car pissing me off rant thread

Cordell

Yeah, most people assume the bearing is trash but often the pinion setup works loose. There are many people out there fighting the issue.

EDIT, I've seen some people go as far as tack welding the pinion nut on so it can't back off.

I've even used a new pinion nut every time, hopefully the solid spacer, a bunch of loctite, and a little luck and this thing will hold together until I can do a rear end swap over the winter.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fucking Camaro is wearing me out, between the new engine, going through and replacing the trans, and tuning all with in the last 2 months I'm getting worn out. So today I changed the oil http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=992160#post992160 , and find out that my pinion is getting play in it, not the u-joints that are original 60k mile parts, the fucking pinion I just rebuilt last year. I know I'm hard on parts and had to learn as I went, but goddamn. Fucking speakers are blown in the car, rims are starting to corrode pretty good now, and the damn thing is pissing me off. I AM NOT GOING TO THE TRACK ANYMORE THIS YEAR!! fuck it. When I replace the rear, rims, eliminate this fucking wheel hop problem, and upgrade the fuel system I just might think about it. Such a long hard road to get where I want to be with the car.

Share your car rant.

Thats why u go Turbo :D just after are last discussion

• 2 months later...

Resurecting this thread just to bitch.

My Camaro is down again, god damn trans lost 4th gear and is shuttering. My pinion is also loose again. I hate my car so much right now it isn't funny.

Besides that the battery is dead in my truck.

God fucking hates me, and I'm feeling rather emo.

I think I'm going to start putting together a 6 speed swap as soon as I get my ass back to work.

My Camaro is down again, god damn trans lost 4th gear and is shuttering. My pinion is also loose again. I hate my car so much right now it isn't funny.

I think I'm going to start putting together a 6 speed swap as soon as I get my ass back to work.

I have a gallon of case and a match to donate to the cause.

That sux!!! If you need a ride anywhere let me now. As you know I got nothing going on...

4L80E and 12-bolt/9in.

what did u use to tighten the pinion if u have a crush sleve you need a very good impact. most compressors only go to 120lb in the tank wich wont cut it. it proably loosend up and you need to tighten the crush sleve.

I used a solid pinion spacer and torqued it properly thank you.

I think it's going to get a built T56 and Dana 60, I'm not caring so much about drag racing anymore.

I always say build it for what YOU want it for. Those Dana 60's are fucking animals, especially with repeated 4K+ clutch dumping. I'd go 9in if I were building a straight up 1320 car or if I were packing a big cube motor. I'm still quite impressed with your intial #'s from your LQ4 build.

You are playing with the stock rear and complaining it is having issues?

There is a reason there are so many freaking bolt-in choices for these cars (12-bolt, 8.8", 9", Dana 60, etc.).

As for the trans, did you cheap out on the rebuild? Who did the build? There are several good places than can build a stout 4L60E...or of course you could toss in a 4L80E as well, but that's one heavy beast of a tranny. TH350/400 would work too, or a Glide.

I'm still on my stock trans but as soon as it shits, I'm gonna get one from RPM most likely and be done with it. As for the rear, For my power level I see no need to run anything but the 10 bolt and I've never had an issue but I do keep a spare 2.73 geared one just in case.

There is a reason there are so many freaking bolt-in choices for these cars (12-bolt, 8.8", 9", Dana 60, etc.).

Never heard if this was true or not, but has anyone done the 8.8 Ford rear axle swap? Maybe it was chatter going around, but wasn't sure if anyone ever attempted it.

As for the trans, did you cheap out on the rebuild? Who did the build? There are several good places than can build a stout 4L60E...or of course you could toss in a 4L80E as well, but that's one heavy beast of a tranny. TH350/400 would work too, or a Glide.

I haven't made up my mind as to what will go into the car, but right now I'm thinking a built T56. The stock tranny burnt up the 2-4 band about 2 years ago and I cheaped out because I didn't have much for mods with no real plans of doing much for a while. Then I got carried away and lost second gear for whatever reason (I never tore it apart to find out), and got an unbeleivable deal on the current trans. It was supposedly a "built" Callahan 4L65e. I couldn't complain about the deal I got, so I tore it apart and everything looked good in it, rebuilt the pump, and verified that while it had some upgraded clutches and servos it didn't have all the bullshit it was supposed to. Now it has lost 4th gear, and shutters. I'm tired of not banging my own gears, tuning this mess, dealing with a high stall convertor on the street, so fuck it I'm done. I love to drive the car when I'm at the dragstrip or out playing, but I don't care for hardshifts or the convertor when all I want to do is cruise. So to answer your question, yes I have pretty much cheaped out but I'm tired of having an automatic performance car.

Never heard if this was true or not, but has anyone done the 8.8 Ford rear axle swap? Maybe it was chatter going around, but wasn't sure if anyone ever attempted it.

Never seen it functioning in a car, but Anthony did have one for a while and is in a car functioning now. With all the bolt-in options why would I want to go through the hassle for a damn 8.8?

My 10-bolt got rebuilt last spring with 3.73s and a locker, and took a lot of abuse in the past year. The pinion worked its self loose so a couple months ago I replaced the bearings on the pinion and installed a solid spacer kit. I put it together too tight and I think it's eating the bearing. I'm done dealing with this fucking rear end too. Yes I realize that every problem I'm having with the car is my fault no matter how you want to look at it, but I'm done messing around and I'm looking at bigger better things.

I've had fun drag racing, but I think I'd rather have a fun all around type car then just going fast in a straight line.

I used a solid pinion spacer and torqued it properly thank you.

no you didnt...dont tell matt anything. is he never wrong. he can go 9's with a stock 10 bolt shit :rolleyes:

on another note. put a t-56 magnum in it and call it a day.

Yes I have. My buddy Adam put one in his 99 T/A. Was a bolt-in deal; no different than installing any of the other rear-ends out there. He then sold the car to someone who is on CR, but not often. That guy then tried selling the car about a year ago on here, not sure what happened to it from there. I can't recall if he sold the car with the rear end or not, as I know he de-modded it some.

It was slightly cheaper than a 12-bolt or 9", but personally would have put a 9" in the thing.

It didn't go with the car. Sean also had one in his Formula.

The one I had was sold to a guy in Toledo, which he is now running the shit out of once he had a mount fabbed for the torque arm.

Scott is just in a mood. If someone builds a car to race, no matter what type of racing, it'll break. If I wanted to throw in the towel everytime I had an issue, I'd just have sold the car several times over by now.

I think someone on here said that if you're not breaking you're not racing, or maybe it was if you're not breaking you're not fast enough. Either way, parts break and that is when you get mad and decide what you really want to do with the car. I've been there twice this year. Once with the tranny, which was then built to handle some abuse, and once with a halfshaft. Both times I was mad at first, then sat back and decided where to go with the car. Just let off some steam and decide how far you want to take it.

I think someone on here said that if you're not breaking you're not racing, or maybe it was if you're not breaking you're not fast enough. Either way, parts break and that is when you get mad and decide what you really want to do with the car. I've been there twice this year. Once with the tranny, which was then built to handle some abuse, and once with a halfshaft. Both times I was mad at first, then sat back and decided where to go with the car. Just let off some steam and decide how far you want to take it.

Irrelevant to this thread but were you the guy that came to Rob's last night with Kurt?