Have you wrecked?

Casper

The whole arguing about group rides being dangerous thing has made me curious.

Have you wrecked?

If so, how many people were you riding with?

What caused the wreck?

I have not gone down, but I've been off-road twice:

1. The motor popped and spewed oil all over me and the road. I went down into a ditch so I could set it down but it still be somewhat upright. I was by myself. Had to push the bike a few miles to a buddy's house.
  2. At Deals Gap. It was my own screw up. Passed a mini-van and went too hot into a wet corner and slid straight while the road went left. Didn't go down. I was down there with a few people, but I wasn't riding in a group. Just me and a mini-van I was passing...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never went down on the road, had a few scares, but never went down.

now parking lot, closed road, when i use to stunt ride my 954.. the bike went down a few times, but i never went down with it.

learning to 12 the bike at slow speeds ended in the bike being put into a curb and mashing some stuff up, the tank, breaking the subframe in half breaking clip ons..

i just stepped off the back before theing got bad.

and is why i suggest all people who want to "stunt" just lot ride.

its nice knowing there is no oncoming traffic, and you are going slow speeds. so you know that you can get away from the bike, and reduce damage to yourself.

plus slower shit is cooler

March 31 2008

I was the lead of 5 bikes coming up to 90 degree right hander. Hit some gravel and tried to avoid a small pot hole and low sided. When I went down I wasn't doing much more than 15 mph. and separated my should and fractured my first rib.Minor cosmetic damage to the bike with exception of a bent radiator and broken clutch lever.

A couple things factored in the accident. By number of relevance.

1. Inexperience, riding above my comfort zone

2. Worried about the bike coming up fast behind me.

3.First real ride of the season (not comfortable for the speed I came into the corner at)

I crashed a street bike once, back in 1988...

Riding by myself

Cause: Bike exceeded available traction

Okay, I went into a corner too fast, kept leaning and leaning until the centerstand grounded out and lifted the rear tire off of the ground. Thought I could just keep leaning and ride it out, but I was mistaken.

Resulting highside flipped me off the road, through some trees and down a hill.

no i have yet to take a spill while riding. *knock on wood* but i have had plenty of close calls

Same boat. Never dumped the bike. I had a couple kickstand malfunctions on my old Hurricane, but nothing on the 'busa or SV, yet.

Almost hit a deer at 70mph one night.

I crossed the double yellow once going in too hot on a 90* right hander... I knew I was too hot, kept it going straight across the road instead of attempting to lean in (I looked before making that decision, there were no other cars coming in view 3/4 mile or so). The bike stopped about 3' from the guardrail (I think the rear tire was just over the white line on the other side of the road. Front tire just barely slid on the gravel). Needed to slow down to about 20 mph, only got to 25 mph before the turn. My fault.

Same day. Garrett was following me and almost watched me bite the back of an SUV - crested a hill on an unfamiliar road and the SUV was turning left, stopped in the road. I locked the rear for a second before the SUV turned. I think I could've gotten the bike stopped in time, but it would've been close. My fault again. I think we had a group of 12 that day.

Now I have gear and will be doing trackdays this summer (assuming I'm still gainfully employed).

Edited by JRMMiii

twice, with four other people each time...the same fucking day..

long story, i posted a thread about it

i wasnt trying to keep up with anyone, me and chris were flying, dragging knee and toes in nky, i hit hit a smal patch of gravel, caught traction and highsided, wrecked again cause i was still spoooked from the first (yes, my bike survived going off a hill at 75/80 mph) lowsided, and skid into a mailbox....and then i rode the sumbitch to hooters, had some wings and went home

second onewouldnt have happened if the first one didnt.

life lesson to be learned: buy a srad becuase they are tanks, and slow down on the street

Yep - '98 ZX7 riding 377 just north of Chesterhill...in a blind corner with elevation change on the outside and caught the gravel...slowed from 35 to about 25, low-sided on the left side. I came off the bike and slid superman style behind the bike for about 15 feet then scurried off the road. I was at the rear of a 5 person CORE group. They came back for me, but the bike was not rideable. $358 to tow from the crash back to delaware. :(

Only jacked up my knee - problem was that i was pushing my bike past my abilities. Lesson learned.

A few weeks after starting riding and getting my bike, I was out by myself in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park system looking for a nice quiet park with a picnic table or something to go sit at and read a book.

Was turning into a parking lot, didn't see that the enterence to the lot was covered in pea gravel, and the front end washed out and down we went. Was only doing maybe 10 mph tops; tore up the left side fairing and put a scuff on my turn signal, mirror, and engine cover...cost me about 300$ total to replace the fairing and get things right.

I was squidding it up at the time (didn't even own a riding jacket yet) and only had a helmet and some cheapo gloves on, but the helmet didn't even touch the ground. Put a nice small hole in my knee, and cracked the joint in my thumb. Never went to the doc to get the thumb fixed, and now it's healed up improperly and hurts like hell if I bend it the wrong way, and I don't have a full range of motion in it. It's a good reminder to watch the road surface quality like a hawk at all times...

But that was 2 years ago almost, and since then I've managed to keep the shiny side up :)

The whole arguing about group rides being dangerous thing has made me curious.

Have you wrecked?

If so, how many people were you riding with?

What caused the wreck?

I have not gone down, but I've been off-road twice:

1. The motor popped and spewed oil all over me and the road. I went down into a ditch so I could set it down but it still be somewhat upright. I was by myself. Had to push the bike a few miles to a buddy's house.
  2. At Deals Gap. It was my own screw up. Passed a mini-van and went too hot into a wet corner and slid straight while the road went left. Didn't go down. I was down there with a few people, but I wasn't riding in a group. Just me and a mini-van I was passing...

wheeling into a turn, done it twice before already just 20 minutes prior, it was getting colder out, temp dropped from about 55 to 45, when I set it down in the turn and was ready to bank, the back tire started hopping. tried to save it, went to lowside drift , then the tire heated up, and grabbed, threw me into a high side. I had a teflon suit on, walked away. got a truck, and got the bike. was riding with 2 others. that was probably the worst wreck I ever had. learned not to wheelie into turns, cause if something goes wrong, you have no time to save it. one of my buddies I was riding with told me he thought I had it saved, then when he saw me highside he thought I died, lol!

I've dumped small bikes, while learning how not to. Both in the dirt and on the street. End result was learning to slide around corners without losing control. It really makes motorcycle cops mad when they see you doing that on a wet street. Learned that the hard way.

Worst dump was a bike a friend bought and I rode it home for him. Tuned it, painted it and took it out for a night ride. I hit poorly marked construction, and it turned out to be more like a ditch in the road. I eased weight back, ready to ride it through, (scrambler). Then found out the previous owner had filled the front forks with heavy weight oil. It launched me up and out, and I watched the bike flip over IN THE AIR BELOW ME, tail light went by, headlight went by, it lands on it's wheels, rolls along for a while, and lays gently on it's side to a stop.... oops, I'm still in the air above it, heading down range. It knocked me out for a minute, and yes, it hurt like hell the next day. It near paralyzed with bruises, the one side of my body that I landed on. Later replaced a bent shift fork in the tranny.

My old rule was, any bike can dump you quick, if it's new, borrowed, or even just early in the riding season. You have to be familiar with your machine to the MAX. Become One with the machine, Grasshopper...

Hmmmm... All boner moves for me.

1) High sided leaving the house. Cold race compound tire. Wicked it up and ate a big shit burger...

2) Yamaha Jog in a wet parking lot. Grabbed both brakes trying to show off at the shop and tucked the front. Slammed down and hit the parking stop. She's now my pit bike!

3) KX100 and one of our dumbass prep kids used Yamaha's version of Armor All on the tires. Came in hot at the end of the street, hit the brakes and dumped it. Tore up the pipe pretty good, but not much else. Blew my pant leg open, though. In front of the whole shop pretty much too!!

Outside that, seen other guys crash while we were riding, but been pretty lucky. Wish I could say that for the track/racing...

only bad thing ever to happen to me on the street is that dog i hit. Didnt go down,but felt terrible! On the track i lowsided at Putnam in the rain and i highsided at beaver at aroud 70-80mph. Good times. As for group rides i have only seen 1 wreck that 2 bikes were involved. They were too hot and in gravel and one went down and the other must have target fixated and he went down next to the first guy. I have seen maybe 10-15 wrecks on the street.

I've also seized cranks, melted camshafts, exploded brake drums, broken many chains, blown out three tires, overheated engines, suffered killer speed wobbles, been forced off the road by cars, tried to eat a back bumper while sliding sideways, had exhaust system parts fly off, etc; all while moving. Close calls, but stayed upright in all of those.

The joys of old fashioned motorcycles, what can I say...

had a couple small crashes when i was learning to ride Thank God!

1. Couple weeks into riding and feeling pretty confident just riding through the neighborhood. Pulled up to a stop sign with two other cars. tried to wave them on, but they insisted i go so i went and gave it to much gas, pulled the clutch and got scared. hit the curb and jumped off the big, we both landed in the grass unharmed

2. couple months into riding and going back and forth to work. On lunch brake and was going to the pony, i was pulling into the auto zone next door and saw a bike like mine and didnt see the F250 coming at me in the parking lot. grabbed the clutch not the brake (only going about 10 mph) and hit the curb and almost crashed through the window by the parts counter.....i have to say (now) it was pretty funny cause noone was hurt, but you should have seen the guys faces in auto zone when my katana (at the time) was engine revving and the highlights blinding the old guy working the cash register. LOL!!!! Thanks God i have had a real bad crash!

I crashed a street bike once, back in 1988...

Riding by myself

Cause: Bike exceeded available traction

Okay, I went into a corner too fast, kept leaning and leaning until the centerstand grounded out and lifted the rear tire off of the ground. Thought I could just keep leaning and ride it out, but I was mistaken.

Resulting highside flipped me off the road, through some trees and down a hill.

:lol: but highsides blow..:eek:

all of mine are just completely stupid.

1. first week of riding, turning around in a parking lot and just like dropped the bike.

2. had a long day of work, was heading home from the bank, just distracted and watching traffic, there was a median that curved, ran along side it and slid through traffic.

3. jermattak was over, i rolled it out on the icy driveway to start it up with the new pipe, kickstand popped back up when i set her over, just fell on the frame slider.

wreck 2, jacket slid up a bit.

wreck.jpg