Learn me about gas generators

Nitrousbird

Well, I thought I took the power to the neighborhood out, but ends up I may have only killed off either one house, or none at all. When I was mowing w/ my riding mower, I mowed near the transformer box. I hear this pop, go a little further, and see a hole in the ground, and a thick wire that was cut off clean in the hole that was sticking up. Hmmm, not good. I keep mowing, my wife comes out a few minutes later saying the electric is out.

Well, turns out a car at about the same time took out a transfer pole on Riverside Dr. Electric is back on, though I live in a Cul-de-sac, where the neighbor home is empty and the one behind still looks dark. I told AEP about the line, so hopefully they will care for it.

But we took a trip around the neighborhood, and noticed that almost everyone is rocking a generator. Some have just roll-around ones, other's have integrated generators. Talk to a neighbor down the street, and he said this isn't uncommon (even though it's an underground utility neighborhood built in 2002-2004).

Well, my wife wants a generator. Our neighborhood doesn't have natural gas, and we are about the only house without propane (we rock all electric), so we will have to do a gasoline unit.

I think we want one that can power a few things in the house + the furnace and heat pump (furnace and heat pump are pretty big). What should I be looking for? What kind of rape me price are we going to be talking? I know my wife is going to want one before winter hits, so now is probably the time to buy.

Go to Gander Mountain, $1850. Honda 3000 Watt electric start.

You can buy a Guardian but since you don't have gas, it isn't worth the expense. Think about what you want working at your house.

I only need my well pump, fridge/freezer and some lights at night.

My best advice is to figure out how much power you need to keep the important stuff running and go up a few sizes. Just like anything else you get what you pay for. So long as it has a quality engine I've never seen any real issues with the generator part of it.

My best advice is to figure out how much power you need to keep the important stuff running and go up a few sizes. Just like anything else you get what you pay for. So long as it has a quality engine I've never seen any real issues with the generator part of it.

I have.

I also said you get what you pay for, but I can't say I've serviced but a few after I've installed them. What kind have you had issues with?

People bring WalMart junk into our shop all the time for us to fix. Funny part is, most of them still look brand new. I usually tell them to throw it in the trash and to go buy something worth a damn.

People bring WalMart junk into our shop all the time for us to fix. Funny part is, most of them still look brand new. I usually tell them to throw it in the trash and to go buy something worth a damn.

Okay now that doesn't surprise me. I guess some people (your walmart shoppers) just don't understand what a disposable item is.

It depends on what you want to do with it.

You have the 'regular' type generators that are generally pretty loud, but are cheaper.

Someone mentioned a 3000 watt Honda generator for 1850, I am guessing that that is the 'inverter type' generator. Inverter type generators are typically a bit quieter and don't have voltage spikes or fluctuations which make them ideal if you are running high end electronics off it (like a computer).

I recently purchased a generator used off craigslist (4400 watt craftsman for $225). I personally didn't care about the noise (didn't feel it was that big of a difference) plus my generator is only for emergencies, it was hard to justify spending that much money for it an inverter type. If the power goes out I just plan on running an extension chord in to run what I want to run. Maybe the next house if I know I am going to be there longer I will make a connection at the fuse box so I can run the whole house.

First off, Whats you price range?

If you want to do it right the first time, get a 10k or higher guardian generator with a transfer switch. Do a propane conversion and get a small tank and your good to go.

If you don't want to spend $3-4K, get a Troy Built 5500 watt generator and back feed it to your house (WHEN THE MAIN BREAKER IS OFF). I've done this for years and works fine. Your more than welcome to check out my setup if you want. Mine is a simple plug and play.