Droid question for the Verizon guys here

Mowgli1647545497

If I buy a Droid from a Verizon retailer here in town, does it come with all the Verizon crap on the OS that my last phone bought from Verizon did?

I love the Verizon service, I hate the crap they put on your phone, especially their UI changes. Of course the last phone I bought directly from Verizon was 3 models ago so has it changed?

Or should I do like I've done with my last 2 phones: order it online from a 3rd party vendor to get it clean, and activate it once it arrives?

The droid is loaded with the Android OS. It is owned by google? Trust me go to the store and play with one you will not be disappointed. If it wasn't for having 2 lines and the stupid your first line is up for new every 1 year but 2nd line is new every 2, I would have 2 droids by now.

It depends on what ui you are talking about. Its not like there is only one. Palm, Blackberry, Windows mobile, and basic vzw phones all have different interfaces... actually loking at the Omnia 2 that appears to be on an updated ui as well. The droid is actually like one of 7 or 8 ui's.

A update for the droid will be out soon (like this week). Heres what its set to fix..

OS stability is improved.

Battery life is improved.

Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots reduced.

Enhancements for three-way calling.

Audio for incoming calls is improved.

When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.

The droid is an excellent phone, I just cant get past the size. The motorola is too heavy and the HTC is too small. Definitley test it out before getting it. If the size is ok to you go for it.

thx for the info beast.

I'm on my 2nd blackberry now, and my previous phone two back that i hated the verizon overlay was a krzr - THAT was the one with the irritating Verizon OS overlay. My last two blackberries I've bought online then activated them myself. But i'm fed up with blackberry.

As for size, I've always gone for brick or flips as small as possible to fit in my pocket (ala the Pearl) but i'm coming to the realization that for what I need I'll need to become one of those belt clipping nerds. I'm looking at the Motorola for the screen realestate and the keyboard (which I've tried in store and like).

re: screen real estate - thats why i'm asking if verizon overlays the OS or not.

re: functionality - Any rundown on what, if anything, in the OS they lock or restrict in any way?

thx for the info beast.

I'm on my 2nd blackberry now, and my previous phone two back that i hated the verizon overlay was a krzr - THAT was the one with the irritating Verizon OS overlay. My last two blackberries I've bought online then activated them myself. But i'm fed up with blackberry.

As for size, I've always gone for brick or flips as small as possible to fit in my pocket (ala the Pearl) but i'm coming to the realization that for what I need I'll need to become one of those belt clipping nerds. I'm looking at the Motorola for the screen realestate and the keyboard (which I've tried in store and like).

re: screen real estate - thats why i'm asking if verizon overlays the OS or not.

re: functionality - Any rundown on what, if anything, in the OS they lock or restrict in any way?

I havnt found anything restricted or locked. You can pretty much do whatever you want and download plenty of things for free. Took me about a day to adapt to it after using window mobile phones for the last 4 years. After I got used to it I loved everything about it except for how heavy it was on my waste. Reminded me of my old 6800.

here is the update to 2.0.1...

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_upgrade.html

tom

A update for the droid will be out soon (like this week). Heres what its set to fix..

The droid is an excellent phone, I just cant get past the size. The motorola is too heavy and the HTC is too small. Definitley test it out before getting it. If the size is ok to you go for it.

I heard its out but you gotta wait until yours auto updates is what I'm hearing from other people.

From what I've read now, they were only doing 8000 the first day, then 8000 the next.. Then 250,000+ if everything goes well.

I don't blame them at all for this, since the update is nothing major.. Its a really smart plan to make sure it doesn't kill any phones.

does it get rid of the tinny sound when talking to some one? thats all i hear about from my co workers that have it.

does it get rid of the tinny sound when talking to some one? thats all i hear about from my co workers that have it.

Sounds like a hardware issue, not software. I'm running V2.1 (not 2.01) and there is no tinny sound there, so maybe 2.01 or 2.1 has a fix if its indeed software related, probably not though. I've never ran 2.0, but I've had everything before and after and never had an issue like that.