Who has had their car(s) the longest?

zeitgeist57

How long have you owned your prized possession?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you owned your prized possession?

• Less than 1 year.
    • 1-2 years.
    • 2-4 years.
    • 4-7 years.
    • More than 7 years.

As car guys (and gals), we are emotionally attached to our vehicles. Like all emotional ties, they ebb and flow, and tend to be replaced by other attractions over time. :) I'm curious how long you have stayed attached to one car. I'm looking for drivers who know and love other cars, yet find themselves sticking to one vehicle. I understand that a lot of CR is high-school/college peeps that may need to switch cars as they "break"...

Over the economic boom the last few years, it was easy to get credit, or attractive lease options. However, as we come back to a more realistic economy, people are keeping their cars longer.

I've had my sig-pic Corvette since 2004, which isn't a very long time. However, it feels like an eternity! :) How long have you folks held onto your ride?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112

i bought the mustang as a 17th bday present to myself...had to take a 5yr loan on it though, but after my dad passed earlier this year i payed it off...i have no intentions of ever getting rid of it

as for my other cars...i get bored of whatever im driving after about 6 months usually, so i trade up quite often... ill be 20 in may and ive gone through 2 truck, an suv, and two cars....also dailyed both of my moms cars for quite some time and got bored with those too...it sucks lol

greg....i wouldnt call sitting on jackstands fast...

I'm pretty sure I've had all of my daily vehicles the least amount of time as everyone else. But my actual project cars I've had for a while. I got my '86 Corolla When I was either 16 or 17 and had it up until about 2 years ago(I'm 23 now). I think I had my GS300 the least amount of time, which was like 4-5 months before I sold it for my GTI.

I bought my 1994 s-10 back in 1998. I raced it a few times out at National Trails and it went a best of 16.46 with the stock v6. That winter my Dad and I tore it apart and put a LT-1 out of a 1996 Camaro in it. With that it went a best of 12.34. Currently it is apart again this time I am swapping frames, converting it to AWD and have plans for a LSx engine with a big turbo. It should be fun when I get it back together.

But anyways had it just over 11 years at this point.

I should add the reason I continue to hold onto my S10 even when it gives me headaches or takes a couple Summers off...

It's the only thing I've had longer than my wife. I bought it the weekend before I met her. :)

I kept a list of cars I've owned on an old piece of paper from High School. I lost it somewhere around 2003, when it had 40+ cars on it. Some of you have joked about the number I have went through since joining CR, so I'd guess I'm above 50 now. I used to not believe my dad when he would say he couldn't remember all the cars he had. I understand now. :)

Longest I have ever kept a car is 2 years and that was a focus of all things but it ran decent until the power steering pump shattered on 270 going to work. I've been legally driving 9 years and I'm on my ninth car they get dull after a while liking the fox body though need a driver seat or maybe just a bracket but need it bad

Excellent thread Clay, where do you want to start? For starters, I still own my 79 Cutlass Supreme which I bought in 1986 and in 1988 put a 350 in it. The Cutlass has over 185,000 hard miles on it. In 1992, I purchased my first Ford product, a new 92 Mustang which I still own. The list goes on for the 69 Chevelle, 78 Z-28, etc.

Bought the Formula in July 2009. Got the Avalanche December 2005.

It's hard to believe I've had the Formula over 10 years. I doubt I will ever sell it. I'm sure I will just drive the Avalanche into the ground.

I think you mean 1999, as we all know its sitting in a garage begging for someone to wrench on it to get it back to its former glory...