Question on Selling Etiquette

Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your subject is Selling Etiquette, thus I would say by calling him prior to him getting in his car was fine. I can see your side. Now using the term ethics in place of Etiquette, the story would be different.

I've never been in a situation like that. I do get mulitple calls and emails for items that are spoken for and hours from the buyer picking them up and I usually tell the other person that I will keep them on a list and call them/email them either way to let them know the status. Key is I always call / email them back to let them know. They most always really appreciate the follow through. I also find that many buyers will keep coming back as they know my style and follow through.

If another buyer chimed in with $300 more and would be at my door ASAP, then I would probably tell him straight up that he/she has 1hr or something to that effect to meet with cash in hand. Just make sure the first guy is not in route or committed in some way that would hurt them. In your case it doesn't sound like buyer #1 lost anything other than a good deal.

I say the above if it was a stranger vs someone I know or am associated with. Do that shit on CR and you're toast :bangbang: Situations today are tight so when it comes to money, only you can really make the call. I find myself fighting for every dollar I can get from my employer let alone a stranger, so again, I understand completely.

The funny part of this is that you called the guy and told him that you had a higher offer and then got mad that he didn't want the item after that. I'm sure that he assumed that you were trying to screw him out of more money and that was why he gave the response he did. I would do the same thing.

As far as the part about you selling it to someone else, I'm up in the air on that one. You had someone pay you more money and you took it, but you also had some kind of agreement with the other guy. That is where it gets to be in the grey area. Yes it's a little crappy that you sold it to someone else after the agreement, but there aren't any guarantees laid out.

Yes, what you did could be considered a little shady but it's not the end of the world. I personally don't know what I would do, but most likely I would take the money from whoever had it. I've had too many problems with people who say that they are going to come get something or pay for something later and then don't.

Guest tbutera2112

if its a large amount of money, i take what i can get...

sold the side runners off my truck, one guy offered me $200 shipped i told him they were his and to give me a few days to work it all out...next day i got an offer of $400 shipped...i told the guy it was pending, and i messaged the first person interested...told him i now had an offer for $400 shipped, and that if he wanted to match that price i would sell it to him still, and that if he was no longer interested that theres no hard feelings....money is money, if its not somebody you know or are close to etc, then you gotta look out for yourself...you gave him a chance to match the higher bid, he was no longer interested, so you had every right to sell it to the person willing to pay more...$300 is $300

To avoid the issue altogether, do not 'agree' to anything other than a sale with cash in hand.

Buyer: "Can I pick this up on Saturday, I don't get paid until Friday".

Seller: "Absolutely, if the item is still available on Saturday, and you show up with cash in hand it is yours."

The buyer knows where you stand, and you still, in a way, agree to sell to them should your terms be met.

To avoid the issue altogether, do not 'agree' to anything other than a sale with cash in hand.

Buyer: "Can I pick this up on Saturday, I don't get paid until Friday".

Seller: "Absolutely, if the item is still available on Saturday, and you show up with cash in hand it is yours."

The buyer knows where you stand, and you still, in a way, agree to sell to them should your terms be met.

Yep, next time just try being upfront with people, then they know what to expect. From the byers point of view it's a bitch thing to do. So just be upfront & you won't have this problem.

Edited by super_gtp

:D

I always set a time with a transaction. If the time expires with no communication or counter offer then it is closed and open to the public. Pretty fucking simple process.

exactly. I had this same thing happen to me set up a date and time even put a deposit on the item via paypal seller backed out and sold it to someone that offered more. If you set a price and someone wants to buy it and you get calls offering more money you fucked up by selling it to low

:D

I always set a time with a transaction. If the time expires with no communication or counter offer then it is closed and open to the public. Pretty fucking simple process.

He has issues with selling things and doesn't know how to act. So simple is all relevant.

this proves you're a douche bag.

OH HAI CUTIE PIE

The funny part of this is that you called the guy and told him that you had a higher offer and then got mad that he didn't want the item after that. I'm sure that he assumed that you were trying to screw him out of more money and that was why he gave the response he did. I would do the same thing.

As far as the part about you selling it to someone else, I'm up in the air on that one. You had someone pay you more money and you took it, but you also had some kind of agreement with the other guy. That is where it gets to be in the grey area. Yes it's a little crappy that you sold it to someone else after the agreement, but there aren't any guarantees laid out.

Yes, what you did could be considered a little shady but it's not the end of the world. I personally don't know what I would do, but most likely I would take the money from whoever had it. I've had too many problems with people who say that they are going to come get something or pay for something later and then don't.

I didn't get pissed that he didn't want to buy it. I got kinda pissed that I actually was nice and called him up telling him the situation and then have him act like a whiny bitch.

My word is worth more than $300. No matter if i'll never see him again.

I'll take the $300 over a random stranger. thanks

To the original poster...

This happens alot in the car biz. If we agree on terms and I back out for more cash, I'm the evil car salesman. But its different for you?

A happy customer is worth more than the extra 300 bux from the other buyer.

If you had to ask the question in the first place, it meant you felt somewhat guilty for screwing the guy over.

If your integrity is worth 300 bucks, then you are good to go.

This happens alot in the car biz. If we agree on terms and I back out for more cash, I'm the evil car salesman. But its different for you?

If you had to ask the question in the first place, it meant you felt somewhat guilty for screwing the guy over.

If your integrity is worth 300 bucks, then you are good to go.

+1

I agree with the last statement, but the fact is he's simply dealing with a random guy in Columbus wanting to buy some wheels he no longer wants. It's not like he's selling stuff online as a business or owns a store, etc...

Sucks for the buyer, but hey, it happens. Hell, when I found my OZ Wheels and Blizzacks on them for $400 and after I looked at them and found them to be 110% perfect, I couldn't get back to them fast enough with cash in hand. Hell, I gave it one more day before another buyer offered her more money or someone would have mentioned that she is asking way too low of a price.

Thankfully that didn't happen. However, if it did I'd be bummed, not necessary pissed. Can't be pissed at someone for looking out for themselves in terms of money. No one is looking out for me but me and that's the truth.

Integrity here on CR with a fellow member is one thing, but to some random buyer he'll never see again.....he made the call that was best for him. Chances are the guy woke up bummed that he missed the deal. Fuck, if it was such a sweat deal, he should have gotten his ass over their with cash ASAP. "You snooze you lose."

I record all phone conversations when I am buying and selling an item.

I would have taken your ass to small claims court and got the item for the orig. price agreed upon minus, of course, you paying court costs, and some small fee for breech of contract.

I agree with the last statement, but the fact is he's simply dealing with a random guy in Columbus wanting to buy some wheels he no longer wants. It's not like he's selling stuff online as a business or owns a store, etc...

Sucks for the buyer, but hey, it happens. Hell, when I found my OZ Wheels and Blizzacks on them for $400 and after I looked at them and found them to be 110% perfect, I couldn't get back to them fast enough with cash in hand. Hell, I gave it one more day before another buyer offered her more money or someone would have mentioned that she is asking way too low of a price.

Thankfully that didn't happen. However, if it did I'd be bummed, not necessary pissed. Can't be pissed at someone for looking out for themselves in terms of money. No one is looking out for me but me and that's the truth.

Integrity here on CR with a fellow member is one thing, but to some random buyer he'll never see again.....he made the call that was best for him. Chances are the guy woke up bummed that he missed the deal. Fuck, if it was such a sweat deal, he should have gotten his ass over their with cash ASAP. "You snooze you lose."

This is exactly how I feel right here. To a complete stranger, I could give 2 fucks but to people on CR I wouldn't do that to since I look at this place as a community I belong to and a place I like. And I didn't have to ask myself that question. I was simply asking how other people would act in that situation. I know how i'd act and that was to take the money. You guys can preach integrity all day long til ur vaginas bleed but if I'm trying to get the most money I can get then I'm not gonna give 2 fucks if some random stranger gets pussy hurt over me selling it to whoever for whatever. I would however never do such a thing on CR for reasons mentioned above.

Placing money over your word isnt wrong but it does say something about your character. Not caring about who you mess over because you dont know them says more about your character... When it comes to selling there are no rules. If you choose to sell to a higher bidder that is 100% your choice. If someone did this to me I would be sure to leave them a negative rating and help people avoid doing business with them in the future... but thats all anyone can do. Like stated before you need to change your selling habits. Put in your post the first one to bring cash gets the item and the expectations are properly set before hand.

This is exactly how I feel right here. To a complete stranger, I could give 2 fucks but to people on CR I wouldn't do that to since I look at this place as a community I belong to and a place I like. And I didn't have to ask myself that question. I was simply asking how other people would act in that situation.

I would be in total agreement with you if the first post in this thread had simply stated:

How do you guys feel about this situation, so a guy offered me some money for a product I was selling, then another guy offered me more. I went with the guy that offered me more. HAHAHA I FUCKING RULE !!!

More or less like that, and I doubt anyone would have used the word "integrity". The point, unless I am mistaken, was that a verbal agreement was made along the lines of:

"Hey man can you hold this for me until friday?"

"Sure can, we are man-lovers from this point on"

Or more or less like that. Maybe not quite like that. Anyways, either way it's not that big of deal, I would feel slighted as the buyer, though I would not be surprised at a stranger taking the money.