New Info on Toyota FT86!

Farkas

eh, no thanks. Its pretty ugly. If i want a rwd 4 banger ill just get a solstice or sky.

Neither of those are being made any more since Pontiac and Saturn are both gone.

It uses a boxer motor. That doesn't mean it's a Subaru. :rolleyes: There hasn't even been mention of whether it'll be a new co-developed boxer motor, either. Not to mention, having driven both Subies and Yotas, I find the ride and quality of workmanship, parts and fit much better in the Toyota.

Was the Toyota a Camry? If so, it was built by Subaru in their Indiana plant.

I'm eyeballing this one and supposedly the Subaru version as well. Specs look good, as long as they don't let it get bloated. Low weight, moderate power, low cost. If they pull that off, they'll have a winner.

However, the engine is too far back to swap in an AWD drivetrain. So we'll only see RWD in that body. Not a bad thing. But it squashes some hopes of some Suby fans of swapping in an STI powertrain. The engine should still be swappable though.

RWD EJ257 with 20g 400+hp

I love the idea !

Direct injection om nom

as I am a subaru fanboy christian is a yota fanboy.

;)

On display at the Toyota stand at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon will be the Toyota FT-86 G's Sports, which boasts an even sharper exterior and a world-first "GPS-track day" unit co-developed with the creators of the Gran Turismo franchise and automotive technology giant Denso. So what's so special about the unit, you ask? From what we've learned, you will be able to drive your real FT-86 around a real track -- the Nurburgring, for example -- and then remove the memory card from your car, plug it into your PS3 unit and either "watch" your lap virtually or race against yourself, as your real car appears as the "ghost car" that you battle against.

The GPS unit was tested in a fully race-prepped Lexus IS F at the Nurburgring last October. If you look closely at the FT-86's dashboard in previous press photos, you will see an outline of Fuji Speedway, a lap timer and an altimeter -- which hints at where Toyota is going with this technology.

Word from inside Toyota is that they plan to roll out the technology on "most" future models, with the first of course being the FT-86 in late 2012. Also, as has been previously reported, the Gran Turismo developers are also working on launching a 3D version of GT5 as soon as 3D TVs become available on the market. We've taken a quick demo spin of the 3D version, which looks fantastic in early builds. Of course, that assumes GT5 will ever be finished. Latest intel we have is late summer of this year at the earliest.

It uses a boxer motor. That doesn't mean it's a Subaru. :rolleyes: There hasn't even been mention of whether it'll be a new co-developed boxer motor, either. Not to mention, having driven both Subies and Yotas, I find the ride and quality of workmanship, parts and fit much better in the Toyota.

I have a lot of hope for this car. I hope they don't disappoint.

They did an entire article on it in Auto Week I believe, designed and built by Subaru.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/18/rumormill-subaru-version-of-toyota-ft-86-to-be-bigger-get-subs/

Was the Toyota a Camry? If so, it was built by Subaru in their Indiana plant.

Built in the Indiana Subaru plant, but that doesn't mean it was built (or more importantly, designed) by Subaru. Toyota merely leases space in the plant, nothing more.