Freight Charges on New Bike

Artmageddon

I'm really digging the new HD Iron 883 and thinking of selling my Shadow and buying it. I'm going over finances and trying to figure out the total cost of the new bike and noticed that most Harley dealers charge a freight cost. I bought the Shadow used so I didn't deal that, but is that pretty typical on a new bike?

Do most dealers in Ohio charge a freight cost on a new bike, or is that a Harley thing?

I would think of all the bikes, the freight on a HD wold be the least. I can tolerate taxes and some dealer paperwork, but freight charges just gets me angry.

They have to get the bike to the dealer regardless or they'll never sell it, right?

Let me know what some of you have experienced.

Just go in and deal in OTD (out the door) prices. Cut through all the bullspit - you want tax, title, prep, freight, chrome, winterizing package, matching dog collar, leather chaps, everything... out the door, for this much.

Just don't ask ScrappyGrl to deal in "out the door" prices, you'll get made fun of. ;)

Just don't ask ScrappyGrl to deal in "out the door" prices, you'll get made fun of. ;)

LOL "out the door"? That's absurd! Who uses that phrase? I thought ScrappyGrl was the only person who used that phrase, because she's from Pennsylvania. At least that's what we were told was the reason for the bizarre phrase she used. (EXTREME SARCASM) Back to the original post, freight charges are crap. Don't accept to pay it or at least get something else thrown into the deal (money off the bike itself, freebies, etc) that'll make it a wash.

I must have missed the "out the door" thread. What was the big deal? I've heard that my entire life, But I am originally from the Eastern Ohio/ Wheeling/ Pittsburgh area.

And Jrmmiii, no chrome for this rider, that's why I like the Iron. I've been wanting to black out my Shadow since I bought it, it's got tons of chrome and I hate freakin' cleaning it. No chaps either.

And Jrmmiii, no chrome for this rider, that's why I like the Iron. I've been wanting to black out my Shadow since I bought it, it's got tons of chrome and I hate freakin' cleaning it. No chaps either.

:lol: I was playing. Just using examples of every charge but the kitchen sink that they'd attempt to throw on to jack up the price. I'm not a chrome or chaps guy either. :)

:lol: I was playing. Just using examples of every charge but the kitchen sink that they'd attempt to throw on to jack up the price. I'm not a chrome or chaps guy either. :)

No worries, I meant that sarcastically as well.

The internet need a universal sarcasm symbol, it just doesn't come across well in text.

Maybe a picture of monkey taking a big dump and saying "lighten up, dude."

Maybe there is one and I'm too lame to know it.

Freight charges are BS - they are built into true dealer cost. Dealers pay freight obviously, but it is rolled into their cost. They also have a hold back. HD is different and typically, there's not a lot of dealing that goes on. You want it or you don't. Metric dealers pull shit once in a while that makes it sound like they pay freight on top of dealer cost. It's rolled into it. $500 is TOTAL shit on at least the metric stuff.

I can find out more via HD by calling a buddy who's a GM at a shop... I can find out if need be the real scoop...

Lizard, You don't need to put any effort into it, I was just wanting to know what some others have experienced. I guess if I decide to get it, I'll go in with the mindset that I don't want to pay it. If they don't budge, I'll either walk or bend over and take it if I really want the bike.

Lizard, You don't need to put any effort into it, I was just wanting to know what some others have experienced. I guess if I decide to get it, I'll go in with the mindset that I don't want to pay it. If they don't budge, I'll either walk or bend over and take it if I really want the bike.

No worries. Hell, I can ask him the best price. Maybe he can hook you up!

Just go in and deal in OTD (out the door) prices. Cut through all the bullspit - you want tax, title, prep, freight, chrome, winterizing package, matching dog collar, leather chaps, everything... out the door, for this much.

Hey...It's all about the "out the door" price! Don't settle for anything less! :) If you need help...I'll get'em for ya! Let me at them!

We don't want to hear any stories of you getting bent over at an HD dealership. Save that for your DTC initiation, right Fonz? :D

I think you picked a good time to buy though... bad times, money talks. I have a feeling all the manufacturers are having a hard time getting people financed.

I skimmed through that thread, I think any dealer that may have read that will treat you well now if they know it's you.

Who me? Little me? Well hey... you treat the customer right :) I'm working with Boomer's Powersports right now. After tomorrow, I'm hoping to be an owner of a new bike. Don't worry...the experience will be posted on here :) If they treat me well.... some good recommendations will come their way :) If not... sucks to be them! hahah :dj:

no disrespect meant at all.. but man, an 883 is pretty small.. it'll beat ya to death on any long rides and only has a range of maybe 100 miles or so at the most..a buddy of mines ol'lady has an 03 883 and i rode it from findlay to point place (up by lake erie) and back...this is the honest truth,i actually had to draft cars that were only run'n 70 m.p.h. to pass'm on the highway lol...your better off with the shadow..but back on topic, like they said,make them eat the shipping.. thats just a bullshit surcharge that they pocket.. ya figure they get shipped in bulk to the dealers, so there only pay'n one lump sum for a whole load of bikes at once(not just the 883's)..

no disrespect meant at all.. but man, an 883 is pretty small.. it'll beat ya to death on any long rides and only has a range of maybe 100 miles or so at the most..a buddy of mines ol'lady has an 03 883 and i rode it from findlay to point place (up by lake erie) and back...this is the honest truth,i actually had to draft cars that were only run'n 70 m.p.h. to pass'm on the highway lol...your better off with the shadow..but back on topic, like they said,make them eat the shipping.. thats just a bullshit surcharge that they pocket.. ya figure they get shipped in bulk to the dealers, so there only pay'n one lump sum for a whole load of bikes at once(not just the 883's)..

Yeah, I know it's a bit small, that's one of my major concerns. I would prefer a 1200, but the Nightster isn't quite the bike I want. I was thinking of maybe doing a conversion to 1200 on the Iron.

I've kinda outgrown my Shadow already as well, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards keeping the Shadow for one more year and then bumping up to a big twin or maybe the VTX.

I know right now I can ride the Shadow 6-8 hours a day on the highway, I've done it several times. Comfort on the Iron is a concern.

I wouldn't mind the Triumph America, but its the same size as the Shadow and seems pretty pointless to get. I don't really like the Triumph Rocket.

I guess we'll see what happens after I test ride the Iron.

right on... personally,i'd go the vtx route.. im just not a hardley fan..ive rode a bunch of diff. model hardleys, and i think they ride like crap.just my opinion...if ya do get a hardley, get the 1200 sporty like ya said, they'll eat the shit outta the bigger vee hardleys.....good luck with what ever ya decide on..i hope it pans out for ya...