Rainwater collection barrels?

zeitgeist57

I've recently become interested in collecting rainwater for the purpose of irrigating my lawn and flowerbeds. In pricing out the cost of barrels, modifications to gutter downspouts, electric pump, etc...I found out that this practice may be illegal in Ohio???

Has anyone done a rainwater reuse setup, or experienced any enforcement problems?

I figure I could use a couple of barrels on the back of my house (not visible from the road)...still get decent water collection and not run into any problems...

I don't know why that would be illegal, but who knows. Possible stagnation and bug issues?

There are some concerns places about 'stealing' watter (for lack of a better term coming to mind right now) that should be going to the aquifers.

Not as much of a problem in Ohio or when you are talking about 55 gallons, but the laws are there some places in the deserts or to make sure people don't take 1000's of gallons that should be going to the basins.

EDIT: To the OP... SHUT UP YOU STUPID HIPPIE... opps, forgot who I was talking to. :p

Though about doing it, but living in an apartment right now it doesn't make as much sense. We do have a small garden and compost. If I were to do it, I'd just raise the barrel up on a stand and let gravity do the work. Have the downspout coming in and sealed, then another spout at the top sealed coming out to go to the drainage. Then when the barrel is mostly full it can overflow into the drainage. Then have a hose connected to the bottom, but above whatever you are watering. At the very least if you did this you could use a smaller pump in case there is not enough head pressure. When I do this when I have a house in a few years I will try to do this as economically and environmentally friendly as possible. You could even build the stand into something that encases the barrel so you can just get one of those blue big plastic barrels. I'm just guessing those would be much more economic and durable than something that looks 'nice'.

But might look into this more, thanks for the links Killjoy http://www.rainxchange.com/products/rain_barrel.php

Looks like it could be apartment friendly and plenty of water for our small garden. Or at least a nice supplement. We still have the 'problem' that our pipes are sealed from the top down into PVC in the ground. Not wanting to have to modify that and put it back to stock in a few years when we move into a house is the biggest reason I haven't do it yet.

Also pretty cool they are talking about LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) green building with these systems (the larger scale ones). Just out of curiosity I went to a seminar about water runoff in building design last year. Pretty interesting stuff.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I worked on a house where the guy had an entire tank of concrete the width of his house 4' deep. You could always tear your house down and start over.

My understanding is that this is very common in some developing countries that don't have water systems like the US and other developed countries.

I'm in an environmental engineering class right now, and my professor went over his personal collection barrel setup at his home as an example. It was way bigger than 55 gallon, maybe 6 or 8 feet tall and 4 or 5 feet around. His obviously was gutter-fed, and used to water plants and his lawn, as well as to flush the toilet in his basement ;).

His collection setup was actually mentioned as part of a presentation on rain-garden technology and implementation, which is another pretty cool idea that is growing in popularity.

Interesting sidenote: the old Lazarus building downtown ( now converted to office space with multiple tenants ) actually uses collected rainwater to flush a ton of toilets. The big "L" ball on the roof that you can see is actually a mini watertower.

Yeah, my uncle down in Athens collects the water from the roof of his pole barn at the 'top' of their land. Then it's ran down to the main area they've built up so far to water the lawn and plants. It's huge, something along the lines of what you are talking about.

That's a good idea, but not as realistic for someone living in a city environment, where you have to worry about 'rules' and noisy neighbors bitching about things like this. A few 55gallon barrels and some simple modifications would make a great, economical, supplement to not using as much water from the city on your gardens. And like Clay said, aren't likely to even be noticed by anyone. At least until things like this are more widely accepted as more and more people do it.

When being concerned about our environmental impacts long term we are much more likely to be able to sustain our efforts and make real impacts with incremental changes. It would be great if everyone could install a system like your professor, but it's not realistic. The cost would be astronomical and probably not ever pay back on itself. But if we start small and build up over time, it will become 'normal'. It would also be great if tomorrow we could switch over to renewable power (solar and wind), all drive electric cars and switch over to super efficient appliances, but it's just not realistic.

At what financial cost to it take to obtain "free garden water"?

That's why I keep highlighting the idea of how to do it as economical as possible with current technology. The technology and adaptation of tomorrow will be much different and you'll be able to do more with less (money). And it's about more than 'free' water.

I saw a set up they had for sale at Home Depot for like $150 last year. It was the barrel and everything you would need to hook it right up into your current gutter system. I know I am thinking of doing this spring to help water my garden next year. Anyone that lives in Blendon Township or has Ohio American Water would understand.

If I used a 55 gallon barrel with a standard NPT brass valve at the bottom, will gravity and the weight of the water be enough force to run a sprinkler? I'm assuming not...probably enough flow to gently water some flower beds...

My only concern with a sump pump is that you can't regulate the pressure easily.

If I used a 55 gallon barrel with a standard NPT brass valve at the bottom, will gravity and the weight of the water be enough force to run a sprinkler? I'm assuming not...probably enough flow to gently water some flower beds...

My only concern with a sump pump is that you can't regulate the pressure easily.

It's largely a matter of head pressure or "feet of head". Basically, there would be enough pressure to spray water about the same height as the water. If you mounted the barrel 8 feet off the ground, it would effectively spray that high, in simple terms.

Also, in terms of using a pump, you would be surprised how cheaply and effectively you could use something like a jacuzzi pump, which is variable speed. When designing our engine dyno for OSU's formula SAE racecar we used such a setup to run our cooling system in the dyno room. I bought the pump off of ebay, in new condition for ~ $40 if I recall.

too lazy to read the posts, but i know my neighbor has a trash can size drum on the front of her house...i helped her cut her gutter...she marked it and was trying with a hacksaw...i came over with a sawzall and got it done in about 30 seconds...it looks like its 6" too low...her problem, not mine.

i dont think she has a pump though...i was considering doing something like that that i could put a pump in there and hook up a hose and run a sprinkler, but then summer ended and i forgot all about it. lol