Hey I'm the worst mechanic in the world, come on in and make fun of me.

SpaceGhost

With all the weather and it's pretty boring around here, here's a good laugh.

Yes so in my attempt to play in the snow Friday I developed a hole in a Coolant hose. Yea! Fixed that for $15 Saturday, pulled the car out of the driveway and found my Power Steering was not working. Figured out to change the clamps and flush fluid to try to fix it. Well here is where I started my multiple failures in life. :) I get everything tightened up and go to reattach the line to the pump and I grab the wrong screw and bottom it out on the pump and it snaps off. DOh! So long story fast forwarded, can't get the screw out and I need a new pump. Ordered it.

So yesterday I go out and I might as well take the pump off and have it ready for the new one to go in. This was a mistake. I try to take it off with out removing the coolant hose I just replaced, (it sits right in front of the pump) I try, no go. So I go to remove the hose again. Get one end off and go to get it off the radiator and well I am working it off and SNAP my second failure, I SNAP the top of the radiator off with the hose. DOH! Go order Radiator.

SO now I can get the pump out easier, should have stopped, but no, not me. I get all the bolts out that I can see. The pump sits in a bracket that attaches also to the alternator that is adjustable so tension can be applied to the belt. I can't get this out, I can't see any other bolts so I think (another stupid thing of me to do) that maybe it's just stuck since it's 5 years old. So I tap on the bracket with a hammer and well, of course it cracks it where the alternator attaches. :) SO I then find one last bolt behind the pump buried behind and under some wires and vacuum lines. Remove it and the pump falls forward breaking the rest of the bracket off where it cracked. :D SO now I order the bracket. So let's tally:

hole in hose starts - $15 to replace + coolant

New pump $150

New radiator $160 + coolant

New Bracket $65

New belts since they are past due to be replaced $35

And Now since there will be nothing in the way of the Timing belt once I get the radiator out, I am kicking around the idea of replacing the water pump and Timing belt that will be due in about 20k miles. I wonder what else I will break doing that if I decide to tear into that? I really think I should do the timing belt and water pump so I don't have to tear into it for a long while.

Let's here the how bad of a failure I am. And should I let the Timing belt go so when it lets go, I can just drop in a built engine in 30k miles? :D

When things go perfectly smooth after swapping something out I just have to sit there and gather myself for a minute just to make 200% sure everything is done.. then when the car/truck fires right up I'm shocked nothing went wrong.

this

When things go perfectly smooth after swapping something out I just have to sit there and gather myself for a minute just to make 200% sure everything is done.. then when the car/truck fires right up I'm shocked nothing went wrong.

I lol'd out of the truthiness.

Well I grabbed a timing belt while I picked up my bracket today, they told me to see if the pump is leaking and if it isn't then change it on the 2nd change of the timing belt. So I'll let it ride. I only have 80k so it's about 25k early for the timing belt but might as well since all that stuff will be out of the way.

Here I thought everyone else always has smooth installs. Didn't even occur to me. Thanks guys, so now this thread fails. :)

Well I grabbed a timing belt while I picked up my bracket today, they told me to see if the pump is leaking and if it isn't then change it on the 2nd change of the timing belt. So I'll let it ride. I only have 80k so it's about 25k early for the timing belt but might as well since all that stuff will be out of the way.

Our experience has been that the load of the new, stiff belt puts a lot of stress on the old water pump bearings. Thus causing it to start to make noise, then if it breaks....bye bye motor. You would be silly to not put a new water pump on now as well as new rollers as well. If you buy the timing belt kit, you won't have a problem.

Plus even if you catch the water pump bearings, you still should put a new belt on anyways. Especially being a Subaru. We do not do timing belts on anything w/o doing a water pump and using a kit. EXCEPT for non-interference motors like Toyota's and older VW's when we know if something else fails nothing catastrophic will happen.

Your choice, other tech's welcome to chime in.

That advise comes from Subaru, I'm sure the guy would love to sell me a pump at $200 he had it in his hand, went to the trouble of pulling it off the shelf and then asking how many miles were on my car then said if it were him he would not change the pump. He said they almost never change the water pump at the first timing belt change. Always at the second. He said the only time they change it for the first timing belt is if it is leaking. Told me to come back if it's leaking, he always has the pump in stock. Thanks for the input though. Truthfully if the motor goes bye bye, I will be happy. Built motor will be put in, and larger Turbo, injectors and Larger IC, Then my second tune. :bangbang: