Thoughts on small, home garage repair business.

nurkvinny

So, sooner rather than later, I am most likely going to have access to 45 years worth of tools (hand tools, brake lathe, tire machine and balancer, specialty tools, you name it) on top of my own sizable tool collection.

I have a 30x40 detached building with ceilings high enough for a lift.

I spent 10 years of my life turning wrenches for a living and live in a zoning area where I can have a business.

Do you think there is the clientele out there for a small, home-based shop that can do small jobs (tire work, external engine work, brakes, shocks, etc) anymore? I am talking 1 or 2 jobs a week, by appointment only.

Forget the legalize / insurance / paperwork side of things; I have that covered. I am trying to wrap my head around whether or not there are sill enough people that would appreciate paying less than a big shop, prefer giving their money to a local business, etc.

Been day dreaming for a while; thought I would finally ask. This would be entirely as a hobby / extra income. I wouldn't be relying on this money to live on.

Used car market, that's what you gotta look at. Are there many used cars out there? Will you charge less than the other guy?

I'm near Pataskala / Newark / Granville / Buckeye Lake.

Lots of used car. I'd charge more than the cheapest guy; much less than a shop and a ton less than a dealership.

Vinny,

Yes, I believe there is still a need for the small backyard mechanic for the smaller jobs. Keep it a hobby and enjoy the few extra dollars you pull in. You can pick and chose jobs, based on the difficulty level.

If I can't tackle something, I have two hobbyist near me that helps me out. One of them is a retired Toyota master mechanic. He does some side jobs for folks and charges much less than the the big shops and does quite well for his hobby. I work on older classics as a hobby for people near by me and helps pays for my auto hobby.

I would say things like this would be more driven by word of mouth and or referral business. Get in good with some lead sources and get the word out and yes, I think you could accomplish what you're looking to do. Farm out what you don't want to someone who uses your space?

That's how I do my photography work. I get 99% of my work through a large network of customers and contacts and I funnel lots of work back out to my network as well. I'm not getting rich from it, but let's just say I can buy just about any camera or lens I want at about anytime. with what I do.

Living in the area and knowing the general area you live in I think your answer is yes. I run a small car lot and my input is this.

We have a full time mechanic and we service just our customers cars. My mechanic is booked non stop. I have at least 25-30 people a week I turn away that are looking for repairs.

If you decide to do this contact me via pm and I will give you some info.

I agree with the rest at this point. If you've got access to all those tools, why not put them to work. If it's something you love and you can enjoy the money out of it, too I'd say go for it 100%. Might be slow at first, but as you get a reputation and or referrals you will probably have to turn work away. Just make sure you don't burn out on it and you should be good to go. I always believe in supporting local business if it's within reason and I like the person and/or concept. You'll always have broken vehicles or ones that need maintenance so why not fill the need if you love it so much?

I have two buds that do work in their garages evenings and weekends. One in Baltimore and the other south of Pickerington.

Both turn away business from friends and referrals every day.

Both could quit their day jobs and do fine, but then it's a job... not extra money on the side.

Go for it.

Ron

I'll be honest. Night and day different than I thought the replies would be. :)

This is far from being a certainty at this point. The other major factor to the idea is that I would have a kickass employee / co-owner... my dad, who has ran his own shop since his late 20's and could work at this when or if he wants to.

Another option was to find a building and split the rent/bills with him. But, to be honest, that's more than I am looking to bite off. And I was thinking like a lot of the replies in this thread: a job or 2 a week and a couple on the weekends. Nothing that would prevent me from being with the family and maintaining my day job.

I run a small car lot...

If you decide to do this contact me via pm and I will give you some info.

Cool, which one? I buy a couple cars a year. :)

some of our best customers are home based mechanics and if you already have all the stuff why not make some extra money

Where do you work? I assume a parts house?

Yes, have you thought about turning cars?

Great side money...at least it has been for me.

Yes, I have made my share on buying and selling cars, and still look for deals all the time. I just really need a hobby and miss the satisfaction of a completed car repair / project.

I started to do this 2 years ago and it doesn't take long before friends of friends start calling you. I was at a disadvantage to your situation because I don't have room for a lift. I ended up just telling people I wasn't doing it anymore. The main reason was because I was tired of people bringing these busted ass cars over here that have barely been cleaned the last 5 years and expecting me to spend a weekend on them for $100 in labor. Got old. Pick an hourly rate and buy a book with the rated hours for jobs in it and stick to that. If I ever did it again that's what I would do. Also, if you get in good with the parts guys most will give you discounts that you can either pass on to the customer to keep your prices down or keep and keep your profits up if you pick a lower hourly rate. Good luck.

I started to do this 2 years ago and it doesn't take long before friends of friends start calling you. I was at a disadvantage to your situation because I don't have room for a lift. I ended up just telling people I wasn't doing it anymore. The main reason was because I was tired of people bringing these busted ass cars over here that have barely been cleaned the last 5 years and expecting me to spend a weekend on them for $100 in labor. Got old. Pick an hourly rate and buy a book with the rated hours for jobs in it and stick to that. If I ever did it again that's what I would do. Also, if you get in good with the parts guys most will give you discounts that you can either pass on to the customer to keep your prices down or keep and keep your profits up if you pick a lower hourly rate. Good luck.

To take this thought a step further, I would also consider working on only certain types of cars or doing certain types of work that you could specialize in and therefore charge a premium. There will always be people that want repairs done for cheap. However, if you can become known as the local expert in some area, you can charge a premium for that and not only control the work you do, but charge a premium for it. Consider the unique knowledge and expertise you and your Dad have, and see if you can leverage that.

To take this thought a step further, I would also consider working on only certain types of cars or doing certain types of work that you could specialize in and therefore charge a premium. There will always be people that want repairs done for cheap. However, if you can become known as the local expert in some area, you can charge a premium for that and not only control the work you do, but charge a premium for it. Consider the unique knowledge and expertise you and your Dad have, and see if you can leverage that.

I agree, that is why I work on 'fun' classics.

There would be specific cars I would work on, and only certain repairs. I wouldn't try to dig into newer computers. I would avoid large jobs like clutches, engine swaps, etc. Tire mounting and balancing, rotations, oil changes, belts/hoses, brakes, easier small jobs. I'd love to get back into some light weight radio installs as well.

The tire machine does motorcycle tires also, so I could see some business there.