Turbo Cars

KStang3.8

Hello All,

I'm trying to formulate a list of all turbo cars that would be worth buying. It doesn't have to come fast stock like an Evo, but i don't want anything as slow or slower than my 3.8 Stang. And i want something that is easy to mod i.e. lots of aftermarket parts are available for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Omally23/times.jpg

****Not a stock Supra. Average numbers with basic mods. Exhaust, tune, etc.

**from 1990-1993 only 296hp. Same #’s as Dodge Stealth.

NOTE: Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline have same engine and Stats as the Cobalt SS

PS i made that list myself

The list so far:

Mitsubishi Evolution VIII +6

Mitsubishi Evolution IX +6

Subaru WRX +5

Subaru WRX STi +5

Chevy Cobalt SS +4 (Turbo model)

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 +3

Dodge Neon SRT-4 +3

Audi S4 2.7tt +3

Toyota Supra +3 (Okay to buy high mileage? worth the 20-30 grand it would cost? Or better to buy a newer low mileage car)

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX +2....(called bad DD though, also a bit old)

Eagle Talon +2................... (bit old for my taste)

Dodge Stealth R/T +1

Nissan 300ZX +1

Mazda RX-7 +1

Mazdaspeed 6 +1

Mazdaspeed 3 +1

Subaru Legacy GT +1

Evo X........................... (DUH) just added

Saturn Sky Red Line

Pontiac Solstice GXP

Volvo S60R

SRT-4 Caliber (Ugly lol)

What am i forgetting?

Edited by KStang3.8

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mistu and Subaru have wonderful tuning markets that will allow you to create more unique power combos to obtain power at the lowest tuning cost.

The SRT-4 bottom end has been known to go to 500+. but your still fwd.

An older 7m-gte in good condition is not bad consideration.

The Audi S4 2.7tt is a pretty sweet car.

The Legacy GT is not a bad platform, but it's larger then most of the other cars sans the S4

Thanks for the input. I have quite a few friends with Subies and Evo's and their cars make me jizz my pants.

I know 2 people with SRT-4's that i've ridden in quite a bit and they seem sooooo powerful like you said, great to build.

I'm a total n00b really. I've heard of the Audi S4, but never knew it was anything special. 2.7tt sounds pretty damn good. I like the way the Legacy looks, i've always wondered if it was decently fast.

Anyone have anything to say about my other maybes? Or anymore new cars to add?

i added the audi TT and cobalt SS to the maybe list.

For some reason i like the idea of something that comes standard with a turbo, not something i have to put one on myself. you know? something engineered originally to have a turbo. Plus i want something newer than the 5.0 foxes.

Keep in mind also, i want a faaaaaast car, but i will want it to be my DD too. 5.0 turbo sounds bad on gas lol

Turbo DSM? Bad for a daily if you're going to mod it a lot but a GSX is sweet, and at the very least worth mentioning.

Of all the cars on your list I'd go with a Subaru, or Cobalt SS Turbo (FWD sucks though)

Yea, Eclipse, talon, laser. from 90-99. If you get a 1g, you want a late 91 talon or early 92 talon. If you get a 2g, you want a 98-99 eclipse gsx. Those have the best looks and also your able to reflash the ecu like i do! If you go the evo or eclipse route, i and my friends all can help you with it. There is literally nothing i havent dont besides install rings on pistons! And i can help you with tuning it since i have the cable youll need for either car.

The 98-99 dsm's and evo 8/9 all use the same cable to log and tune so its really simple and tons of support or dsmtuners and evom.

I've heard people bad mouth the SS...is that with merit? or is that just shit talk?

Turbo DSM meaning Talon and eclipse? eclipse gsx.

Just shit talk probably. The supercharged models aren't anything to go crazy about and I've heard they have a lot of little issues, but the turbo models are quick, and by far the best handling car in it's class.

Yeah, turbo Eclipses, Talons, Lasers. The Eclipse GSX was the AWD turbo model, but I think most of them were FWD (GST). I think the Talon TSi was the turbo version, and not sure if they had a turbo Laser, I really don't know much about DSM's but a ton of people on here are experts so maybe they will chime in

Just shit talk probably. The supercharged models aren't anything to go crazy about and I've heard they have a lot of little issues, but the turbo models are quick, and by far the best handling car in it's class.

Yeah, turbo Eclipses, Talons, Lasers. The Eclipse GSX was the AWD turbo model, but I think most of them were FWD (GST). I think the Talon TSi was the turbo version, and not sure if they had a turbo Laser, I really don't know much about DSM's but a ton of people on here are experts so maybe they will chime in

Laser rs was turboed from 90-94. First year of awd for laser was 92. The tsi was the turbo model eagle talon from 90-98. Eclipse gst and gsx were the turbo models from 89-99. Late 89 was the first production year for the 1990 model.

@Just2Sweet

Cool about the Cobalts, i thought they were pretty nice, i've heard about problems with the S/C models as well.

@all

I've never really even considered the DSM cars, i will start looking into and considering them, but i am really looking for something newer than them in all honesty. And something thats gonna last me a long time, and i'm guessing i'd have trouble finding one low mileage. I do really like the 98 Eclipse though.

If no one noticed, i'm updating the original post with new suggestions and +1's for people liking any on the list

Any other cars worth mentioning?

Anyone have anymore comment on the Maybe List or the Suggested List (the audi's and VW's)?

Are you doing all your own work? I wouldnt buy a dsm for a DD. At least as your only car thats for sure. Personally, i would do the evo. There are so many parts for that car its sickening. I think the GSX is the sexiest out of the bunch, 2004 s4 close second. But the evo just looks mean!

Lastly, if it were me, I would get a supra. Supras are just straight baller! They just cost to much thats all..

ya soooooooo much money.

i'm saving up my money for awhile till the right car hits me. Its gonna be 2 years probably....but if i don't see the right one i'll just keep saving....and saving...and saving... so who knows maybe the stang will keep me satisfied long enough till i can save for a Supra.

My girlfriends dad has an Evo 9, lots of mods. Its prob #1 on my list at the moment. Followed by SRT-4 and subies. How's the S4 pricewise?

on cars.com all i see is 4.2 V8. can someone point me to some S4's with the 2.7tt

Depends on what year. The b4 is believe with the biturbos are coming down fast, but the v8 b5's are still really expensive. Dont get me wrong, i love the evo and dsm's. They are great for tuning and playing around with, and also for fun. They are easy to make power for cheap too. The dsm will obviously the cheaper one, but you can find evos for under 15k and nice ones too for that price.

A supra is a long time down the road if i ever get a chance. The evo is more realistic than a supra is.

If you are looking to pull chicks the supra will do that for you. You better have a big budget, the maintenance is constant and the parts are expensive. I loved my supra, but was glad to see it go.

The S4 had the 2.7tt motor here in 2000, 2001, and 2001.5 (kinda a 2002). After that, they're 4.2 v8 until the spanking new ones. The V8 is a great motor, and the b6 v8 s4s have less issues than the b5 2.7tt, but they're pretty much how they come. If you want to modify it at all, you had better go with a b5 out of the two, as they are fast for cheap, inexpensive to buy, and have great interiors and driving experience. They do have a lot of issues though, and you'll be fixing stuff a bit.

you currently own a motor that takes great to turbos... yes that is plural, turboS. there was a guy in FL that had a v6 mustang and put twins on it and it ran 10's. i believe the motor was mostly stock.

My input, stick with the v6 you got and put a turbo kit on it