Turbo Cars

KStang3.8

^Sorry but I have to disagree, its not always the case.

My last 2 DD's were both 500+ hp cars, 10+ years old, and on 100% stock motors. I would rate both at 90-95% reliability.

read my post, and then come back. i said with 'rare exceptions'. you must be so smart that you were able to pick up 10 year old 500+hp cars and have them be dead reliable as daily drivers. that's awesome, good job.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read my post, and then come back. i said with 'rare exceptions'. you must be so smart that you were able to pick up 10 year old 500+hp cars and have them be dead reliable as daily drivers. that's awesome, good job.

Oh boo hoo

It's not hard to do.

all factory turbo cars are junk. they are built for just the power they have stock. u make more they break. hence. build your own. there are way too many kits for your car to evan consider a import. rather yet any domestic. unless u wana spend 35000 on a new camaro. then mod it with 10,000. other wise spend the 3500 and turbo your car.

all factory turbo cars are junk. they are built for just the power they have stock. u make more they break.

Stock 3000gt motor is good to ~1000hp, believe its the same for a Supra, DSM's can hold atleast double their stock power, my motor can hold ~600hp before it needs rods. I'm sure subaru and other stock turbo cars can hold 2x+ stock power.

It apparently is in Ford land....:D

not really. car in my sig cruises around with 600rwhp on stock internals, clutch, headers, transmission, etc. i have surprisingly little in this car. i could daily it if i wanted, but i have other cars for that.

the more you do to a car, the less reliable it becomes, and the less fun/friendly it is to take on trips and drive daily---that's the point. don't try to prove me wrong, just agree and move along.

all factory turbo cars are junk. they are built for just the power they have stock. u make more they break. hence. build your own. there are way too many kits for your car to evan consider a import. rather yet any domestic. unless u wana spend 35000 on a new camaro. then mod it with 10,000. other wise spend the 3500 and turbo your car.

Definately disagree with that one. My srt has 90k on it, 400+ daily, and runs like a champ driving me from dublin to heath everyday. Plus one for an srt-4 neon.

all factory turbo cars are junk. they are built for just the power they have stock. u make more they break. hence. build your own. there are way too many kits for your car to evan consider a import. rather yet any domestic. unless u wana spend 35000 on a new camaro. then mod it with 10,000. other wise spend the 3500 and turbo your car.[/QUOT

That's so not true about turbo cars, shit a lot of forged internals stock and can take a beating

kevin, this is a great thread. let me give you my take on the situation.

1) you're looking for a car with daily-driver status, yes??

2) you want a faaaaaast car, yes??

first, its tough to find both. the temptation is constantly there to do x,y, or z to make your car faster. the truth is, with VERY rare exceptions, as you make a car faster, it is less reliable, will not last as long, and will generally not be as fun of a car to utilize as a DEPENDABLE daily driver---this is a fact, no matter what people tell you, its true.

buying anything older than 5 years, and modding it will result in a rebuilt motor, and tons of money invested into it---to the point where you'll wish you bought a newer car and lightly modded it.

buy a newer car with a turbo. buy one that's (meant to be) fast right from the start. most of the supporting parts will be built to handle that power and at least 25-30% more power---that will be the limit of having a dependable daily driver. any more power than that and you're looking at the high likelihood of broken parts.

if the car will be your secondary car, or toy--then do whatever you want.

my advice is to buy an unmolested lancer, wrx, or cobalt ss that's just a few years old, and drive it for a while before you mod it. get on the turbo forums, decide exactly what purpose you intend for the car, and buy parts carefully based on others' experiences.

^Sorry but I have to disagree, its not always the case.

My last 2 DD's were both 500+ hp cars, 10+ years old, and on 100% stock motors. I would rate both at 90-95% reliability.

Thank you both for the advice. I've come to find what you've both said is true depending on the car. I can't remember if i said it in the original post or not, but i'm not looking to take a slow car and make it fast (which would be a recipe for disaster like you said).

Also, i don't want to take a nonturbo car and put a turbo on it. I want one that is supposed to be turbo.

Stock 3000gt motor is good to ~1000hp, believe its the same for a Supra, DSM's can hold atleast double their stock power, my motor can hold ~600hp before it needs rods. I'm sure subaru and other stock turbo cars can hold 2x+ stock power.

agree^^^^^^

Thanks everyone for the input, i really appreciate it, the list is thriving and fully update.

IIRC the record for a stock bottom end MKIV Supra is 1130 rwhp. Not bad for a car that is 330 hp stock.

IIRC the record for a stock bottom end MKIV Supra is 1130 rwhp. Not bad for a car that is 330 hp stock.

ya that is beasty as hell. I'm gonna have to agree that MattsV8 is incorrect. If i put a twin turbo kit on my car as well as investing a few thousand more on forged internals and a 4.2 crank, my car would only be around 450rwhp (this is just ballpark). You can get SRT-4's and Evo's over 500awhp with the same amount of money, and they're lighter too, therefore quicker.

Also, you can DD a 500awhp Evo or SRT-4, the mustang would be getting <15mpg

ya that is beasty as hell. I'm gonna have to agree that MattsV8 is incorrect. If i put a twin turbo kit on my car as well as investing a few thousand more on forged internals and a 4.2 crank, my car would only be around 450rwhp (this is just ballpark). You can get SRT-4's and Evo's over 500awhp with the same amount of money, and they're lighter too, therefore quicker.

Once you go turbo, you never go back...

word.

Anyone have anything to say for any of these?

If I speak up, I'll just be called a fanboy. :p

But honestly if going fast is priority 1, then skip the audi/vw lineup. You'll go much faster for a lot less $$ in just about anything else. If you are looking for a classy, comfortable car that will cost 2x as much to repair as anything else and are willing to pay to play, go for it.

When are you getting whatever car you decide upon? Or is this just some sort of casual poll that you can berate over for the next few years?

A casual poll from which to gain knowledge and insight into people's opinions of all of these cars which i contemplate buying sometime in the next few years. I won't be seriously considering buying a car until next summer. For now, i just like to know about whats out there, what peoples opinions are of them, etc.

If I speak up, I'll just be called a fanboy. :p

But honestly if going fast is priority 1, then skip the audi/vw lineup. You'll go much faster for a lot less $$ in just about anything else. If you are looking for a classy, comfortable car that will cost 2x as much to repair as anything else and are willing to pay to play, go for it.

Haha well i see your signature there Mr. A4 owner.

I assumed the biggest thing they had going against them was $$$.

I enjoy class and comfort, but i think i enjoy sport and speed alot more lol.

So because of the reasons you listed, i will tend to shy away from the Audi's and VW's.

At least everyone will be in agreement that modding the 3.8 stang is a shitty idea.

And it's a great idea to get a new platform.

Agreed times 1000000.

I just need something different anyways. Something faster, better on gas, cooler sounding (BOV's). Something different and better.

Stock STi Shortblock

450awhp.

Stock EJ205

300+awhp

Stock SRT-4

400+whp

Stock 7mte Supra

400-600whp

There are some vary capable motors out there.

not easy to mod.....at least tune wise.....as say the sunk line is.

Why do you say that?

We are tuning BigGu's ms3 next week.

Cobb

and

Mazdaedit both are options

When are you getting whatever car you decide upon? Or is this just some sort of casual poll that you can berate over for the next few years?

Its just another hopes an dreams thread like I stted earlier... he won't get any of them.

Ricer
god for once I agree with u...

We have the. Works of a world class ricer here ..

not easy to mod.....at least tune wise.....as say the sunk line is.

An there slow :p. Bring it