what small SUV to look at?

evan9381

looking at a few options, and wanted to get some opinions on what i should look for, what i should watch out for, etc.

want/don't want list -

1) dont wan't a huge SUV (tahoe, suburban, expedition, etc)

2) hitch/tow package/decent towing. nothing major...maybe a small to mid-size boat later on

3) 4 doors and seat 4 adults comfortably (no cramped legs in the rear)

4) fold down rear seats so i can carry something like 4x8 sheets of

plywood/drywall (i know i wont get the whole sheet in but im <1mi from lowes), my bicycle, small deep freezer, etc

5) 4x4. this won't be so much a daily driver as it will be for hauling things/people, bad weather, etc...it will probably get driven once or twice a week though so its not constantly sitting, my DD and bike will do me fine most of the time

6) roof rails - something i can throw my canoe/kayak on top (doesn't seem like this is an issue with most that im looking at)

7) heated seats would be nice, but not necessary. usually i hate leather, but i think its more because i hate sliding around when i want to push some turns...wont happen with an SUV so heated seats in winter > sporty driving

8) something with a proven engine that should have a long life.

under $6k

vehicles i've been looking at (and yes, i know theres some options that somewhat fit my list in the corral. just looking for other options/opinions) - 1998-earlier jeep grand cherokee laredo (i6) or limited (v8), 1999-2002 ford explorer, 2002-2003 ford escape, dodge durango (not a fan but maybe)

I don't know anything about any of the vehicles you listed. I don't even have any evidence to support what i'm about to say, however:

I've heard atleast 20 different people use the term "Ford Exploder" (when talking about the Ford Explorer) and heard lots of talk about how shitty of a car it is and how it is very well known for crapping out and having tons of problems, even when well taken care of. Just from word of mouth, i personally would avoid it.

• Downvote 1

I've heard atleast 20 different people use the term "Ford Exploder" (when talking about the Ford Explorer) and heard lots of talk about how shitty of a car it is and how it is very well known for crapping out and having tons of problems, even when well taken care of. Just from word of mouth, i personally would avoid it.

i can quote things and make them bold too.

Older Escapes are known for transmission problems but they supposedly made a change in 2005 which is what I have. I have 90k on it and have had zero issues. I do some towing with it, haul everything I need to (don't know about 4x8 sheets though), it'll hold 4 adults although a little tight in the knees, and the awd is great in the snow. Even with a V6 AWD I get 25 mpg in 100% highway driving but around town is significantly less.

FYI: no Escape has a servicable transmission filter which is what many believe to be the problem.

I know the drywall didn't completely fit in my Jeep Grand Cherokee that night, but it has everything you listed except the heated seats. But you can get those as an option on the Limited models of Grand Cherokee. Mine is a 2001, I got it for $5K with 111K miles. It has been a great vehicle so far for me. It is great in the snow (even with bald tires) and is a very comfortable ride for long trips.

If you go the Grand Cherokee route I'd say, for proven longevity's sake, stick with the I6. The V8s are nice, but your towing capacity is limited more by the chassis than available torque in this case, so there's little to gain from going to a V8 and I don't think they're getting to 300k+ as readily as the 4.0L. Also, 4.0L models don't get the best mileage anyway and going to a V8 will likely make it worse.

You could get a really nice Cherokee (not Grand) in that ballpark also. Depending on the t-case, some of the Grands are always in Full-time 4x4 with no 2wd drive option. I prefer to be in 2WD unless I need more traction. I have always liked the XJ body style a bit more and there are fewer electric "doo dads" to have to worry about fixing as it ages. I like simplicity, Cuz I is simple.

We've owned 2 Explorer's.....first was a 92 the other was an 04 and both were very good vehicles. I've heard from a few mechanics that i've know for over 20yrs that the Cherokee's are Junk. Inlaws had a Rav 4 it seemed like a decent vehicle but they never own anything long enough to see how it lasts, I thought it rode stiff seats sucked and lacked power. Of the few people i know who have Escapes they really like them no major problems.

I'm biased for Ford so the Escape would be my first choice. You might be limited in terms of cargo for the plywood/drywall aspect though. The V6 will tow up to 3500 pounds. Explorers are nice vehicles. We see a ton of high mileage Explorers with no issues. However, do your best to avoid the 02 model year because of rear diff issues.

As stated before, if you go Jeep, go with the I6. The biggest thing to check with high mileage mopar IMO would be strut tower bracing. They have a tendency to rust pretty good.

A Durango will eat you alive on gas. Gas under 3 bucks is not gonna be around very much longer. Everyone I've seen come in to trade one NEVER has a good thing to say about them. Cheap build quality etc.

A previous post mentioned Honda Pilots. Pilots are nice but you wont find one for 6k with less than 150k miles. At that point, the transmissions start to have issues. Honda 3.5L motors are great, but I've seen tranny issues start to pop on higher mileage units

Good luck in your search. Most of your choices have lots of upside and obviously your decision should be based on the specific vehicle you look at and not generalities. Just an fyi, heated seats can be added to any vehicle with cloth OR leather interior.

Also, 4.0L models don't get the best mileage anyway and going to a V8 will likely make it worse.

Honestly the 5.2L in the 93-98 Grands and the 4.7L in the 99-04 Grands only get about 1-2 less mpg than the 4.0L I6. If you go with one with a V8, just make sure they have been taken care of. If you take care of the 5.2L or 4.7L, it will last just as long as the 4.0L.

But you will also see more of the V8 models with full time 4x4. It isn't a horrible job to swap transfer cases to get one that is 2wd and selectable 4wd.