Where to get a new windsheild cheap

Comebackkid

Safelite is hard to beat..

I always thought that too....but I called yesterday for a quote. My cash price for the 240 was $240 lol. I asked if they would give a discount since my friend has the same car and needs one too. They said if they came out and did both that they would take $20 off each. I always thought they were cheaper than that. Or does it just depend on your insurance?

if its covered by insurance...my buddy at work punched his windshield from the inside out, was like $230 i think. it was actually on his wifes focus. he said when the guy got there he just looked at him and said "so, what pissed you off that much?" hahaha

Not all windshields are created equal. I recently got a windshield done on the civic and I wanted it done perfect since I will be driving the car forever. I did research and Safelite's glass is so cheap because its crappy glass made in China. I found a few reviews of people getting headaches from driving with the new windshield because the distortion was so bad. Others had like moisture/vapor stuck between the layers of the glass which when driving a night was almost impossible due to glare. The brand they use is XYG.

I called my local dealer and asked who does their glass and call them up. It was a local store and they were great. They do not even accept XYG brand glass, had lots of problems with it. Honda's factory glass was made by PPG, but it recently got bought out by PGW. I ended up getting the PGW glass for $240 installed. I looks great!

Also, i heard Safelite uses cheap junk urethane to seal the windshield which takes 48hrs to dry. If I understand right you aren't supposed to drive during that period. This place used a better quality/faster curing/more expensive sealant.

Best bet is to call your local dealer and ask who does their glass. That way you know that they've done your type of car before and hopefully do good quality work. If you want to drive to Columbus, Indiana I can give you the shop name though. :)

Safelite is cheap crap, but it's made in North Carolina, unless ze germans shut the plant down.

I also remember from working there that the largest passenger vehicle windshield is the like 2000 Honda Accord, lol.

I found a few reviews of people getting headaches from driving with the new windshield because the distortion was so bad.

+1

Years ago I put a pedestrian through the windshield of my Corsica. I had Safelite come out because they were cheap. The piece of glass they used had a noticeable distortion line. I don't remember getting headaches, but I remember that it would make reading at night kind of hard. I'd have to move my head around to focus on signs sometimes.