Leaving to switch to AT&T from Verizon in a few minutes, give me a reason not to

Nitrousbird

I have been a Verizon customer for about 8 years now. But Verizon doesn't seem to have the packages we want. We don't talk on the phone a lot, text a little bit. Currently don't have "smart" phones but want them.

AT&T has 550 minutes family + rollover for $59.99

Verizon: 700 w/ no rollover for $69.99

Winner: AT&T by a long shot

Data plans = same $30 cost.

Texting: Verizon = 250 texts per phone for $5/month each

AT&T = 200 texts for $5. Since we currently only do about 30-40 texts a month, I can't see us going over 200.

Wife gets 23% off with AT&T, 22% off with Verizon. AT&T = winner again.

Moto Droid and 16GB 3GS iPhone = same price. I think I'd prefer the Droid slightly, but I don't see me going crazy with this (I've had Palm phones for years through work). The fact my head unit in my Avalanche has an iPod controller, meaning I can keep all my music on the phone and ditch my iPod is another big plus. I'd get an iPod controller for my wife's deck too - another big plus, making the iPhone only a slightly worse selection over the Droid.

I know I will be losing out some on coverage and reliability, but honestly those aren't all that important to me. Give me a reason to keep Verizon, quick!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly other then coverage ur not looking at anything special with verizon over att. i have had verizon for about 10 years and havent switched because of the customer service, coverage, and my discount. i know when u get employer discounts and have verizon, the discount doesnt just cover the monthly plan. it covers my data plan also. so instead of paying 100 a month i pay 75 for having a droid and a calling plan. yea i only have 400 min but i logged 15 min of time last month.... yea no roll over but if u dont use ur min anyway, who cares if u have roll over. also does att have upgrade discounts when ur agreement is up?

I have never had verizon, but I have not had many issues with ATT coverage, except out in the boonies.. but not for long periods of time.

I love our roll over minutes..however, i must point out.. look at your phone bills.. see if you will be using more minutes by switching. almost EVERY single person we know uses ATT, so even with our 500 mins a month, shared, we use 200 combined.. leaving 300 a month in roll over.. but if we we were on Verizon, we would use all our mintues + more, every month.

Id why there are so many verizon nut swingers. I have better coverage w ATT vs my GF who has Verizon.

ashley has both verzon (personal) and att (work) and her work phone doesn't near the coverage as her personal phone.

Rollover who the hell still uses roll over. Since the free nights and weekends came into play. Plus another thing to think about, my boss and i travel back and fourth from Detroit. He has AT&T and i have verizon. Basically in a nut shell he has gotten to the point having me do all of the business calls and listening to music etc.. from my Droid. You might be able to call and use the internet at the same time but unless you are with in 10 miles of a major city. Forget it .. AT&T blows.

I agree

Verizon (w/ Droid) > *

I have both Verizon with an HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) and I'm on a friend's AT&T plan with an iPhone 3G. Verizon's data plan is faster. It just is. I see all these graphs about how AT&T's 3G is the fastest, but I don't see it. I don't know how you AT&T guys can browse ColumbusRacing on AT&Ts 3G. Wifi is fine, but when I'm out of the house it's unbearable.

When I drove to Cincinnati, I tried using the iPhone Sirius/XM app. About 30 minutes after leaving 270, the music started dropping. I picked up the iPhone, and it's on Edge. I think it's just a small patch and it should come back soon, but nope, I think I got my 3G back when I got to Mason, OH. My Verizon phone on the other hand, 3G all the way, but no working Sirius app for Windows Mobile. Also, my church camps twice a year in Danville, OH. Absolutely no AT&T coverage. On Verizon I get 1X at least.

You'll love the Gs. posting from mine now while at Cosi. I have both a verizon blackberry and my iPhone. Verizon has better coverage in the sticks but I love the rollover minutes AT&T offers. If you text you wife a lot like I do with mine just install any one of the other texting apps that bypass the carriers plan. We use What's App a lot.

I have both Verizon with an HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile 6.5) and I'm on a friend's AT&T plan with an iPhone 3G. Verizon's data plan is faster. It just is. I see all these graphs about how AT&T's 3G is the fastest, but I don't see it. I don't know how you AT&T guys can browse ColumbusRacing on AT&Ts 3G. Wifi is fine, but when I'm out of the house it's unbearable.

When I drove to Cincinnati, I tried using the iPhone Sirius/XM app. About 30 minutes after leaving 270, the music started dropping. I picked up the iPhone, and it's on Edge. I think it's just a small patch and it should come back soon, but nope, I think I got my 3G back when I got to Mason, OH. My Verizon phone on the other hand, 3G all the way, but no working Sirius app for Windows Mobile. Also, my church camps twice a year in Danville, OH. Absolutely no AT&T coverage. On Verizon I get 1X at least.

ha. my grandma lives out there at caves rd and pipesville (caves runs into 62 about 4mi before danville)

verizons data is way faster than all carriers.

Not true, its just in more places than everyone else. Where ATT works its fine and fast. P.S. If you have enough roll over minutes to find it useful then you should be calling them and asking for a lower plan.

AT&T has 550 minutes family + rollover for $59.99

Verizon: 700 w/ no rollover for $69.99

I know I will be losing out some on coverage and reliability, but honestly those aren't all that important to me. Give me a reason to keep Verizon, quick!

You get 150 more minutes and reliabilty for less than $2.50 a week. Trust me you wont know that you'll want your phone to work until it doesnt work.

I switched to AT&T back in August and I'm totally satisfied with the service. I have damn near full 3g coverage everyplace I go and I'm happy with the data speeds. More than fast enough to stream music while driving.

Also, there's a whole slew of Android phones on the horizon, not to mention a new iPhone coming this August. While I love my 3GS, at this point I think it would be silly to go buy a new 3GS.

I know I will be losing out some on coverage and reliability, but honestly those aren't all that important to me.

You better think long and hard about that, if you can't get service than what good will that fancy phone do for you?

I'd suggest you call ATT tech support to find out where their towers are at for where you will be using your phone 80% of the time. You might have to go through a few idiots on the phone but you will get someone that knows something.

I switched to AT&T back in August and I'm totally satisfied with the service. I have damn near full 3g coverage everyplace I go and I'm happy with the data speeds. More than fast enough to stream music while driving.

Also, there's a whole slew of Android phones on the horizon, not to mention a new iPhone coming this August. While I love my 3GS, at this point I think it would be silly to go buy a new 3GS.

August? Try end of June begining of July.