Eating Gluten Free

Mallard

Recently my wife has been forced to switch to a Gluten Free diet. We've met several people with similar, or worse, conditions and have been told that it's becoming a lot easier now that things are starting to get labels and restaurants are starting to offer gluten free menu's. However, it's still quite difficult when we eat out. And especially difficult when traveling.

We will be driving down to Columbus and I'm looking for places to eat. Does anyone on here have Celiac or a Gluten sensitivity? Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants?

I found Outback and Baja-Sol Cantina both have quite a few things on their menu. Are there any others?

Thanks.

Sorry man, I don't even know what that is.

I would suggest the bigger chain resteraunts, as you seem to have already, such as Outback. Maybe Applebee's and O'Charleys? I'd say just check websites.

Google Search

Gluten free restaurants in Columbus

Gluten free registry

Just did a quick search. Hopefully this helps.

Sorry man, I don't even know what that is.

I would suggest the bigger chain resteraunts, as you seem to have already, such as Outback. Maybe Applebee's and O'Charleys? I'd say just check websites.

Google Search

Gluten free restaurants in Columbus

Gluten free registry

Just did a quick search. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks. I’ve been to most of those sites that come up on google searches, I was hoping for people that have had personal experiences.

Some restaurants gluten free menus are a joke. One of them went something like, "Marinated chicken breast with asparagus and mashed potatoes, *Gluten Free - Order without asparagus and mashed potatoes*" So, uhhh...you want me to pay full price and just get a chicken breast? No sides were able to be substituted because they all had gluten.

I like Capp City in Grandview and I heard good things about their gluten free offerings. Although anything besides a salad costs $20.

We used to eat at Panara a lot, but it's difficult getting her to eat gluten free there. Her favorite is the broccoli cheese soup, which has gluten. Are all of their salad dressings gluten free?

Their menu online doesn't even say what's gluten free:

Many of our products contain or may come into contact with common allergens,

including wheat, peanuts, soy, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish and shellfish.

Please ask to speak with a manager for a list of ingredients in your order.

My mother in law goes to Panera a lot. Its a nice spot for lunch.

Black bean soup was a favorite among my customers when i worked there, for gluten free.

Here is a decent list. Panera has a VERY seasonal menu (5 changes a year) so check thier website to see schedules of food, especially soups.

Every store has a black book of EVERY ingredient of everything they offer. All you have to do is ask to see it.

GLUTEN FREE LIST – Panera Bread **

**Although we do our very best to meet your special requirements, we cannot rule out the possibility of cross contact between these items and gluten-containing foods in our bakery-cafe.

Salads: (including the salad dressing) (source of modified food starch is corn)

Greek Salad

Fandango Salad

Caesar Salad (without croutons)

Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (without Won Ton noodles)

Classic Cafe’ Salad

Strawberry Poppyseed Salad

Strawberry Poppyseed Salad with Chicken

Fuji Apple Chicken Salad

California Mission Chicken Salad

Orchard Harvest Chicken Salad

Soups:

Moroccan Tomato Lentil

Santa Fe Roasted Corn

Vegetable and Sirloin Beef

Vegetarian Black Bean

Vegetarian Lentil

Mesa Bean & Vegetable

Cuban Black Bean Soup

Vegetarian Roasted Red Pepper & Lentil

Vegetarian Butternut Squash

Creamy Tomato

Spring Vegetable with Chicken & Rice

Low-Fat Vegetarian Southwest Tomato & Roasted Corn

Salad Dressings:

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Caesar

Soooo basically trying to eat healthy then ?

No. If you have a gluten allergy you can't eat anything with wheat, barley, rye, or any product made from those substances. So, for example, anything with wheat flour is off limits. That excludes most paked goods, and a lot of soups use it as a thickening agent. Most processed foods have some additve (like mat flavoring) that has gluten in it.

So sure, it could cause it to make you eat 'healthier' since a lot of foods can't be eaten. But if you do have the allergy and you have anything with gluten in it, you will most likely be running to the bathroom, feeling ill, tired, bloated, etc. If you have it bad enough that you're diagnosed with Celiac Disease, then your intestines can be extremely damaged from injesting gluten, which can make you lactose/dairy intolerant as well. Most people can stop eating dairy for ~3 months (allowing the intestine to heal) and they can resume eating dairy.

If celiac goes untreated it can lead to vitamin deficiencies, osteoporosis, infertility, and cancer.

Luckily, right now my wife is only gluten intolerant, so her symptoms aren't as severe. But there's evidence that if you have an intolerance and continue to eat it, you could develop celiac disease.

No. If you have a gluten allergy you can't eat anything with wheat, barley, rye, or any product made from those substances. So, for example, anything with wheat flour is off limits. That excludes most paked goods, and a lot of soups use it as a thickening agent. Most processed foods have some additve (like mat flavoring) that has gluten in it.

So sure, it could cause it to make you eat 'healthier' since a lot of foods can't be eaten. But if you do have the allergy and you have anything with gluten in it, you will most likely be running to the bathroom, feeling ill, tired, bloated, etc. If you have it bad enough that you're diagnosed with Celiac Disease, then your intestines can be extremely damaged from injesting gluten, which can make you lactose/dairy intolerant as well. Most people can stop eating dairy for ~3 months (allowing the intestine to heal) and they can resume eating dairy.

If celiac goes untreated it can lead to vitamin deficiencies, osteoporosis, infertility, and cancer.

Luckily, right now my wife is only gluten intolerant, so her symptoms aren't as severe. But there's evidence that if you have an intolerance and continue to eat it, you could develop celiac disease.

How did they test her for it and was it a simple, quick thing or not. I've been curious about this gluten-free thing and if my 'guts' would improve on such a diet.

I assume anything that is vegan is usually gluten free? :confused:

Please note that I eat meat, so I've not had anything vegan from these places.

North Star Cafe is really good, they have a few dishes that can be ordered 'meat and dairy free' http://www.thenorthstarcafe.com/

I think the Surly Girl Places often have veggie dishes. Try Surly Girl or Betty's.

http://www.bettyscolumbus.com/

http://www.surlygirlsaloon.com/

I've heard good stuff about MaMa MiMi's (take and bake pizza), they do a gluten free option on Thursday's (just heard it on the radio). http://www.mamamimis.com/

Out of that list earlier, places I like. Shish Kebab, Ted's, The Refectory, Bone Fish, Cap City, First Watch. Only 'local' place is Shis Kebab and The Refectory. I just imagine you'd have better local with non-chain places.

How did they test her for it and was it a simple, quick thing or not. I've been curious about this gluten-free thing and if my 'guts' would improve on such a diet.

They can do a blood test, but that will come up negative unless it's taken while you're having a reaction (so I'm told). To diagnose a 'gluten-sensitivity' there really is no definitive way. Usually they will just tell you to try a gluten free diet and see if your symptoms go away.

The diagnosis process for Celiac disease is much more involved. Celiac actually damages the lining in the intestines, which causes the digestive issues. A guy at my work was diagnosed with this last year after going through 6 months of tests. The final test had him put under anesthesia, and they went down his throat, through his stomach, scraped a sample off the inside of his intestine, and pulled it out. Then they could look at the sample under a microscope and determine if there is damage.

Obviously, the easiest thing to do is try the diet and see if it works. It's believed to be somewhat genetic (my wife's grandfather was diagnosed with celiac about a month before she went on the diet), and it can supposedly be triggered by stress.

Supposedly a large number of people with celiac are misdiagnosed with IBS.

my girlfriends uncle just got diagnosed w/ a disease where he has to be gluten free and just hearing about everything he can't eat is crazy. I guess he used to love to eat toast a couple times a day and now can't do. Hope you and your wife can find some nice eats while your down here.

Don't go on a hippy liberal diet like some kind of spendocrat. Switch to an all beef diet like a real Amrican.

All camron mitchel restaurants have gluten free options. that includes cap city, marcellas etc.

ZPizza in the SN has great GF pizza.

pattycake bakery does GF treats.

Most asian food can be made GF if you dont use soy sauce.

Redbridge is decent GF beer.