Bike Suggestions

Sparky

I've been tossing the idea around about getting a bike and casually looking. I don't know much abouttbem in general but have been steered away from most sport bikes in my price range due to me being 6'4". I found quite a bit of Honda Shadows in my price range and dig the looks.

On the other hand I've always liked the looks of sport bikes.

I'm looking to spend around 3k for the bike I think but the cheaper the better.

Recommendations?

License is super easy but that all depends on the bike you take it on too I guess.

MSF will give you the NM license, if you take it at the BMV you'll get the M. Just get your temps and ride them for a few thousand miles then go take the test.

I'd look at an sv650 for your first bike if you fit it well and what somewhat of a sportbike. I've never ridden anything other than my SV so I don't know how the SV1000 would act or be for a beginner.

I just went through all this bought a 650R in February for deal and rode it for a while before realizing I was going to want something else. I was great to learn on though and I didn't care if I laid it down. In fact, I planned on it. Got offered more than I paid for it, just I bought the bike I wanted and knew I would be happy with for a while.

I have not been on a bike in 15 years. So I was starting over. I'd of been fine with anything I think. Just need to fine what's comfortable for you and get the seat timed.

I will say this, I was not ready for a bike before now. Know your limits and take the time to learn. And get the right protective gear.

Guest tbutera2112

you said youre looking at cruisers instead of sport bikes?

if youre getting a cruiser, atleast get one with some balls!!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1758117549.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1756853094.html

dont let the year bother you...they were all the same from 85-2007, aside from minor things here and there

very few bikes draw as much attention, and none sound as good!

Guest tbutera2112
I like the looks of the VFR's but I also like the look of the the second VMAX that was posted. I guess I need to figure out what I fit onto comfortibly.

i hear VFRs are one of the most uncomfortable bikes on the market

but i can tell you from first hand experience, the vmax isnt the most comfortable either for long rides...its not horrible, but its no lazy boy

i heard the sport touring bikes are comfy, like the sv650/1000 or the fz6/fz1 etc

I enjoy my yzf600r they were madse from like 97 to 07 an all looked preety much the same. Its more of a sport touring bike.

Has the power(well close) of the race bikes but the comfortableness of a touring bike I would say this or a sv650 for a goodbike to start on

If ur looking at cruisers. Best bang for the buck was the yamaha vstars but I'm biased... but we we were looking 2 years ago hands down was the most bike for the $

X2on takin the msf course cheap an easy to do then buy ur self a pos beater bike ride it for 2 months then sell it an buy the bike u want

After having my SV I've decided to keep it. I was all about selling and buying another bike but I've come to love it in the twisties. It's not going to beat any I4 in a straight line, but that's what liter bikes are for.

SV650 is a great bike for commuting, learning and hitting the twisties on.

I am happy with my Sporty, but you would need extra length forward controls to be comfy.

I was VERY happy w/ my '97 Honda Shadow 600 when I had it. Forward Controls would be perfect for your height.

:thumbup:

Good Luck on the search!!

KillJoy

honestly i would ride a nightster and thats about it. I could buy one but i dont see why their so much money just for the HD emblem:rolleyes:

Buy used! :D

:thumbup:

KillJoy

PS - The 48 has better looks then the Nightster ;)

Guest tbutera2112
ridden one? dont knock it till you try it.

yes i have...and after that, i have no desire to ever sit on another one for as long as i live