Camping Thread!

HotCarl

So me, my girl and my brother and sister in law went camping for the first time this past weekend. I had a blast. I think I've found my new hobby. I already asked my girl when she wants to go again, only this time we're going to a better campsite. One with running water preferably.

Any camper's/out doorsmen out there? Recommend any sites or locations we could hit up next. We'll probably go to Hocking hills to hike but not sure how they are about car camping, which is what we'll probably do. (car camping, ie driving to the location to setup camp instead of really roughing it and hiking to a location etc... not to that point yet.)

Oh and as for the site we camped through Trapper John's location after we went canoing. It was ok but they had one porta-john that looked like it hadnt been serviced in months.

Old man's cave is a great time. They are first come first serve when it comes to choosing sites. You can just drive In with all your gear in the car and set up a site. The sites have a concrete slab parking spot and a decent amount of room for 2 tents or 1 really big tent. Alum creek state park is pretty nice as well. Let me know if u need more info.

we camp on 300 acres in Coshocton County with no running water or electricity.

I wouldnt mind that at all, but how long do you stay out there? 1-3days w/o a shower is doable but anything after that... As for electric, its not really an issue. Just the running water for toilets and maybe a shower.

I'd love to find someone willing to let me camp on their 300 acres but sadly i dont know anyone in the country.

if you go down to hocking hills, "caveman retreats" on 664 used to be owned by my friends parents/grandparents. i know we did a good amount of work down there some weekends when i was younger. theres spots with nothing, spots w/ electric, a bathroom/shower house, and like 3-4 cabins that will sleep 4-6

its a nice campground, fishing pond that used to be stocked, and only 5 min from OMC

there's a camp ground in Mount Gilead that has a really nice pond in it, as well as about any activity anyone could ever want to do... July 4th is a crazy weekend there and they typically book up a year in advance there.

Most state campgrounds are decent, but don't allow drinking. Depends on what you like to do while camping. If you're looking to get a little party on then I recommend private campgrounds since the rules are a little more loose. Some areas have visitors centers where all the local businesses can advertise, that's a good way of finding out what is available in the area. Also ask the folks running the campground or the people camping around you.

If you can do without the electricity and running water my hands-down favorite is AEP Recreationland (formerly Ohio Power). There are a ton of sites, many of them waterfront and very nice. There's alot of cool stuff around there to check out. I don't care for camping in parking lots (Alum creek type) and this certainly isn't that.

Edit: You'll need a permit and you are supposed to sign into whichever campground you stay at, but it's completely free.

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/

Edited by twistedfocus

You're 26 and just now went camping?

This.

If you're looking for a fun environment to camp at there is a place where we have our family reunion ever year down in Latham, OH. http://www.longsretreat.com/ It's pretty fun place to be with a lot of activities around.

I like going up to Erie as well, usually if I'm camping, I'm fishing too.

Another good campsite down in the Hocking Hills area is "Top Of The Caves." My wife and I have stayed there a few times, but it is normally kind of busy with families.

Just about any state park will have nice camp sites. A very little known great state park and one of my favorite places to camp is Lake Hope State Park.

there's a camp ground in Mount Gilead that has a really nice pond in it, as well as about any activity anyone could ever want to do... July 4th is a crazy weekend there and they typically book up a year in advance there.

This. Mt Gilead is really nice but fills up fast. Also anywhere in the Mohican area is a great place to camp. Plenty of hiking, biking, and canoeing to do there.

Bookmark this website

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/overnightfacilities/camping/ohiocamping/tabid/497/Default.aspx

Salt Fork was the last place I went. It is the largest state park in Ohio if I remember correctly? It had electrical hookups and showers in the "primitive" campgrounds part. Driving around Salt Fork is nice and scenic with a few hills. The grounds has a nice lodge, a golf course, many many trails to walk, also a marina where you can rent boats. There is a hunting area as well if you get into that.

If you have electric/showers while camping you are doing it wrong.

My friend has a bunch of "farm land" with a forest area we go camping at. No electric, no showers. Hell we only use cars to cook food on the exhaust manifold, don't even use them for light.

My friend has a bunch of "farm land" with a forest area we go camping at. No electric, no showers. Hell we only use cars to cook food on the exhaust manifold, don't even use them for light.

You're doing it all wrong if you have a car around to use as a grill.:rolleyes:

I can use a fire-pit to make coffee with but I rather just hookup my coffee pot. Honestly that was the only electric device I use when I go to Salt Fork. Need my FUCKING COFFEE OR I MURDER things when I wake up. I don't really care about taking a shower while camping but my wife has to take one :rolleyes:

Primitive camping is for the birds, I hate it. When we go to salt fork we stay in the lodge, and then go out and go hiking/walking around in the winter and feed the deer ect.

:)

Sledding is also nice in winter there, and they have snowmobile trails.

Primitive camping is for the birds, I hate it. When we go to salt fork we stay in the lodge, and then go out and go hiking/walking around in the winter and feed the deer ect.

:)

Sledding is also nice in winter there, and they have snowmobile trails.

Yeah, we are actually planning on buying a travel trailer here in the next year or so. We will still primitive camp every year, but the travel trailer will give us more comfortable options on going to so many more places.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/snowdoc83/IMG00013.jpg

Hargus lake 45min s of columbus on 23.

I wouldnt camp there on the reg( its like a weekend get away for the circleville locals), but the fishing can be good. We camped and there were ppl louder than us, so it kept the 5.0 off our site. the lake is small. you can rent paddle, row and trolling boats as well as kayaks.

47 fish, bluegill and sunfish.

3 men,

2.5 solid hours of cosistant hits from the same spawning hole