Protect your hearing

NinjaNick

As you know hearing fades overtime. Why rush it? I don't know about you, but I enjoy being able to hear. Longterm exposure to loud winds in our ears while riding our bikes unfortunately can contribute to some hearing loss in the future. I don't use them when just riding around town for a bit, but when I'm on a long ride I ALWAYS take pride in my ears and protect them. Here is a link I wanted to share for the $24 (200 count) box of earplugs I always order. I just ordered my 2nd box in 2 years! You can't beat that amount of protection for only $24!

Here's my source: http://www.tasco-safety.com/earplugs/moldex-ear-plugs.html

P.S I purchase the middle option and the UNCORDED ones.

Thanks. When I first started riding I never thought about wearing them until a 30+ year riding veteran mentioned it to me. Since then I have always made it a practice and now it's a habit. Too many times in our lives we forget how fragile we really are. Everything may seem fine now, but in time we will eventually pay the price of things we presently like to do. It never hurts to protect ourselves like an investment so we can hopefully enjoy our birth given gifts even after retirement age.

Theres a reason wearing earphones in cars are banned; it's dangerous. With earplugs you can still hear pretty well. Instead of wind, you can concentrate more on the engine sound and your surrounding sounds much better than having loud music blaring in your ears making you totally deaf to the reality surrounding you. Just some food for thought. :)

Great advice. I actually have a set of the attenuation earplugs which have different core inserts depending on how much you want to block out. I use them for long rides and at the track.

Also for shooting I just ordered these since last sat my shooting ear plugs worked its way out of my right ear and I have had a ringing ever since.

Obviously not for riding but for shooting they are good. They block out everything over 85db and for everything under that they amplify it. :)

opticsplanet_2042_217005751

Great advice. I actually have a set of the attenuation earplugs which have different core inserts depending on how much you want to block out. I use them for long rides and at the track.

Also for shooting I just ordered these since last sat my shooting ear plugs worked its way out of my right ear and I have had a ringing ever since.

Obviously not for riding but for shooting they are good. They block out everything over 85db and for everything under that they amplify it. :)

opticsplanet_2042_217005751

i have been thinking of a set of these. how much they run

i think i've heard that it's illegal..? maybe it was just to for ipods on your bike,but i think it was for having anything plugged in your ears on motorcycles.

does anyone know if this is true or false?

I've never heard of that and if it was true that would be ignorant of them non-riding law makers. Earplugs do not block outside sound, but an IPOD blaring music prevents EVERYTHING from being heard except the music.

Edited by NinjaNick

i steal my plugs from local factories that i haul fuel too ;) thats way cheaper

+1 on the stealin from factories! I visit lots of factories too, I may need to stock up a bit too. I haven't used any yet while riding but considered it when doing long highway rides.

i think i've heard that it's illegal..? maybe it was just to for ipods on your bike,but i think it was for having anything plugged in your ears on motorcycles.

does anyone know if this is true or false?

I've heard this one all my life.

The Columbus patrolman I ride with said he didn't think it was illegal. I tried finding it in Ohio code and could not. Nothing at all, not for cars, motorcycles, planes, trains, boats, bicycles, nadda. Not even cell phone.

I also checked that handy BMV book of rules. Nothing there either.

I think where this comes from is some CITIES, or smaller jurisdictions may have laws regarding such things. Or it simply meets the qualifications for failing to yield to emergency vehicles or trains on tracks.

Besides, how would deaf people be allowed to drive?

edit: awwww crap.... found it...

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, “earphones” means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. “Earphones” does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

© Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 10-30-1989

Edited by ReconRat

It appears that earplugs in both ears is a no-no by state law.

So the key phrase is "“Earphones” does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear." Helmets with speakers in them appear to be allowed. The argument would be for headphones (earbuds) inside a helmet.

It also does not appear to apply to two-way radios, phones, or GPS guidance equipment. By the way it is worded. Since that isn't technically "recorded information". Obviously it is out of date.

To make things worse, many earbuds are now as good as earplugs.

Earplugs are a GOOD thing when on a long winded ride. It's also illegal to flip cigarette butts outside the window because it's littering, but peeps do it. Same with speeding. I will and most will/should continue to wear earplugs while on long rides. :cheers:

Edited by NinjaNick

Me too. But I use the Skull Candy ears or similar instead of earplugs. I found that they cut the noise by 70%-80%. I tried them on board the airline without tunes on, and was amazed. I will still wear them to cut noise, and hear music, gps or radio.

Me too. But I use the Skull Candy ears or similar instead of earplugs. I found that they cut the noise by 70%-80%. I tried them on board the airline without tunes on, and was amazed. I will still wear them to cut noise, and hear music, gps or radio.

thats what i got, they work great for long highway rides. it just happens to have music playing to tune out the wind and what not

WHAT!?!?!? 0002007A.gif I can't hear a f-n thing over this f-n music!!! Good advice nicky! I feel that even just wearing a helmet makes it harder to hear things, with ear plugs I've noticed that I can hear things better then with the wind noise....

^ yea, so much wind, it's hard hearing with just the helmet. i was meaning to try it last summer. but i'll def try ear plugs next time i ride. if i get pulled over, hopefully i can hear enough, or try and take them out if i take the helmet off without them looking haha.

thanks for the lookin that up reconrat