Ouch Apple, step up, do what is right.

SpaceGhost

what other phone is there outside of IPHONE and a android phone. what other OS is out there that is worth a shit on a touch screen? NOTHING!!!!!! Cause the blackberry touch screen phone is garbage, what else is there?

Are you dense, what do you not understand about the title of this thread? This thread is about APPLE, Not Rim, Not HTC, Not Google, Not Motorola, not Palm, not Samsung.

APPLE

if you don't own an iPhone you don't need to be in here. It's about a fix APPLE needs to address.

Here's a video of a iPhone4 that doesn't have the issue, so I believe some people don't have the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sKyemdp4E

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I don't think I was being a droid fan boi

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs063.snc4/34537_411271688724_505393724_4608835_6181155_n.jpg

its funny how iphone users are ok with the fact that their mobile device has to be held a certain way to get service... LOL

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/11/16/cell-phone-booth.jpg

samsung is coming out with a good looking at&t phone with android. like the galaxy s or something...

Yeh you weren't being a fan boi at all. :rolleyes:

http://www.mysmartrend.com/news-briefs/news-watch/rumors-swirling-over-possible-recall-apple-iphone-4-aapl

Rumors Swirling Over Possible Recall of Apple iPhone 4 (AAPL)

Written on Tue, 07/13/2010 - 10:00am

By Chip Brian

Shares of Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) are down more than 3%, in an otherwise positive stock market, a day after Consumer Reports said that it would not recommend the iPhone 4 due to problems with the antenna. iPhone 4 users have complained that when holding the phone a certain way, reception was degraded causing dropped calls and slow data transfer.

Also, yesterday, Apple began to censor any mention of the negative Consumer Reports piece by removing links and threads on the topic from its support forums.

While the company's official stance has been a software problem has erroneously been reporting signal strength - a claim many tech savvy users find absurd - there have been rumblings in gadget blogs that the company should recall the phone, or offer some kind of physical repair or remedy. Technology blog CultofMac quoted various PR experts as saying that the damage to Apple's reputation could be significant and that a hardware recall was "inevitable."

In any event, until a solution to this is found, a continued overhang in Apple shares may remain.

A fix/recall must be coming soon.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-20010352-256.html

Time for an iPhone 4 recall?

The mountain of damning evidence is incontrovertible: Apple's iPhone 4 antenna design is flawed. Consumer Reports is only the latest publication to complete a battery of testing and declare what other reviewers have discovered as well: holding the phone a certain way causes repeatable reception problems that, in weaker signal areas, can lead to dropped calls.

The 3GS is rendering the page just fine. Maybe he was holding the iPhone 4 wrong?

Those lucky folks who live in areas with rock-solid AT&T reception likely won't run into the problem. Those less fortunate can reproduce it virtually at will. Here at CNET, Kent German demonstrated in video how dramatically a hand over the bottom left corner of the phone can affect signal quality--in his first test, his voice drops off completely when he's got the phone in the "death grip."

Everyone's testing. Engadget gets the same results; Anandtech stripped the phone to its guts and found that, "(t)he fact of the matter is that cupping the bottom left corner and making skin contact between the two antennas does result in a measurable difference in cellular reception." Lefties: you're out of luck. One researcher found that oven gloves seem a safe way to hold the thing. And so on and so forth. One Ph.D. in wireless network planning, Richard Gaywood, confirmed the antenna design flaw and said "(t)he best scenario is for Apple to coat the antenna and replace all existing phones with a revised model."

I agree.

But as you know, Apple's response has been less than consumer-friendly. As we know, there's the infamous, "don't hold it that way" advice. The same statement told users to simply purchase one of many available cases, including one Apple sells.

Next up, the company unveiled a "stunning" software problem that over-inflated signal quality...but shortly thereafter, AppleCare started advising customers that any forthcoming software fixes wouldn't fix the hardware-based antenna problem. And of course, the official customer service script, if this leak is to be believed, advises tech support to tell customers that, in fact, the antenna is awesome, but even so, don't hold it that way, maybe buy a case, and no, AppleCare is not to give out a free case, offer any kind of warranty repair, or deal with the problem in any satisfactory manner at all.

Oh, and now Apple is deleting mentions of the Consumer Report findings on its support forums, as it's wont to do when problems crop up that it doesn't want to acknowledge.

Now, I know Apple's selling new iPhones like Rocket Pops on the 4th of July, but this is the kind of issue that's melting into the mainstream, fast, and it's going to leave a stain. When Consumer Reports starts advising mainstream consumer electronics customers against buying your product, you've got a problem, and it's time to address it.

Apple has responded with arrogance and dismissal to the fact that it's shipping a flawed product. And that arrogance and dismissal comes at a time when Android market share is growing up and to the right, self-proclaimed Mac freaks are turning to other platforms, and journalists are daring to write about a geek backlash against the iPhone. Well, if geeks are the canary in the coal mine, Apple would do well to start counting carcasses. And as Consumer Reports goes, so goes much of America.

Apple should recall the iPhone 4 and start disseminating new phones with properly coated antennas--and I'm not talking duct tape or neon-colored rubber bands. A recall would give Apple major goodwill and prove its commitment to the impeccable quality and design principles it's always espoused. Yes, it would be expensive and unprecedented. But wow, would it win back some flagging hearts and minds. I know Apple's not used to having to work for the love of its consumers, but now might be a good time to start.

with a bit more testing with my phone.. i found this..

in very good signal areas, with full bars, gripping it in the bottom left (so the metal bands connect with your hand) does NOT seem to make bars drop or degrade performance.

at my house, where reception can vary, I can CONSISTENTLY make the bars slowly drop all the way by using the death grip. Service never drops completely.

I guess I am not saying anything that isn't known -- but I think some people that can't replicate the issue are either in a very good signal strength area, or, aren't gripping it correctly/long enough to see the bars drop completely.

I really agree that Apple needs to do SOMETHING. A software update isn't going to solve much.

Bottom line for me is that nothing makes the phone unusable -- it's the fastest and best phone I have ever used. Much faster than my 3G. I actually find myself pulling it out rather than getting on my laptop or desktop to cruise the web... and before I absolutely hated browsing on a phone.

^exactly

What I don't get is that apple could simply just come out and say all iPhone4 customers get a free bumper, and it would cost them next to nothing, but I guess they have to rape people on the bumper. I'm not buying a rubber band for $29.

^exactly

What I don't get is that apple could simply just come out and say all iPhone4 customers get a free bumper, and it would cost them next to nothing, but I guess they have to rape people on the bumper. I'm not buying a rubber band for $29.

Yeah, seems like an easy PR fix for them. I think most people would be satisfied with the free bumper, but they're sticking with their usual "deal with it" attitude. I'm sure that would a ton easier and way less expensive than an actual hardware recall.

There are too many other attractive smart-phone options these days to keep that attitude. I like the iPhone, but I'm starting to like Apple less and less... and I didn't like them much to begin with.

could be worst at least they aren't caughting on fire... oh wait.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/08/iphone-4-catches-fire/

:lol:

With this last incident, i would like to introduce the iGlove. Not only does this glove help you hold the phone the right way it also prevents burning caused by exploding iPhones.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/14/apple-holding-iphone-4-press-conference-on-friday/

LoopInsight, Engadget and others are reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference this Friday.

Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California. Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.

The topic of discussion, of course, is the iPhone 4 which has received much press over the past few weeks regarding a signal loss issue when it is held in certain ways. A Consumer Reports article reignited discussion of this issue earlier this week.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/15/apple-releases-ios-4-0-1-for-iphone-4-3gs-and-3g/

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/07/15/141720-ios_4_0_1.jpg

As predicted earlier today, Apple has released iOS 4.0.1 (8A306) for the iPhone 4, 3GS, and 3G. According to the release notes, the update addresses changes to the signal strength indicators as promised by Apple earlier this month.

- Improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display

Early reports on the signal strength indicator changes included in the iOS 4.1 beta released to developers yesterday suggest that the changes do not affect actual signal strength, but only adjust the visual "bar" indicators on the screen. Apple is holding a press conference tomorrow regarding the iPhone 4, and it is presumed that the company will be discussing the antenna issue at that event.

Apple has also released iOS 3.2.1 for iPad, addressing a number of issues including Wi-Fi connectivity issues as promised in an Apple support document posted several months ago:

- Improved Wi-Fi connectivity

- Fixed an issue that could prevent copy and paste of single-page PDF attachments in Mail

- Addressed an issue that could cause video playback to freeze

- Improved reliability of video-out when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter

- Added Bing as an option for Safari's search field

Remember folks this just adjusts the bars so that you can see what the exact signal is from AT&T and makes your bars look a little bigger, this does not fix the antenna issue or the Proximity sensor issue. Tomorrow there is a press conference at 1PM EDT.

The new rumor:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/15/analyst-claims-design-fix-for-iphone-4-signal-issue-being-deployed/

TheStreet reports on new research from Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar claiming that Apple has developed an internal insulator to isolate the iPhone 4's antenna connection that has been causing signal reception issues.

Apple has created "a design fix for the iPhone 4 that more adequately insulates the transceiver," said Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar, who spoke to the company's manufacturing partners.

Apple has told its manufacturers to alter the iPhone production process to include an internal component that will insulate the defective antenna connection that has disrupted the phone's signal reception, said Kumar. This internal bumper will give Apple a non-cosmetic solution and will presumably avoid the need to change the appearance of the phone, said Kumar.

The report notes that the implied change to Apple's manufacturing process is making its presence known in Apple's U.S. online retail store, where shipping estimates have slipped to three weeks from a 7-10 business day timeframe earlier. MacRumors has also received word that Apple has been delaying some iPhone 4 orders that had been carrying delivery estimates for the next few days, pushing them out to delivery next week while citing "an unexpected delay".

It remains to be seen if and how such an internal insulator would be distributed to existing iPhone owners, either on as-needed basis or through a complete recall. It is also unknown whether such a fix can simply be applied to existing iPhones or if units would need to be swapped out for replacement. Further details from Apple regarding the antenna issue are widely expected to be shared at the company's press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Kumar's track record is relatively unknown, as he has only recently begun covering Apple. He has been quite vocal on the idea of a Verizon iPhone, claiming in January that Apple had settled on a CDMA-only chip from Qualcomm for the Verizon iPhone while reporting in late May that Apple had given manufacturing partner Pegatron/Asustek the go-ahead for Verizon iPhone production for as early as November of this year. Kumar has also reported that Apple has secured an 8-megapixel camera sensor from Sony for the 2011 iPhone, a claim that obviously has not been verified or disproved yet.

So everyone gets a free case and they don't have enough bumpers so they are going to give us a couple of choices of cases.

Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?

Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that.

LOL Steve is gangster!

You beat me to it.....

I'll take the free case.

Also announced was the release of the white version at the end of the month.

We already knew that though, it was another very vauge comment, complete BS IMO, he should have had a date for Pre-order. He also mentioned the proximity sensor issue, which I feel is even worse than the antenna issue. That will be fixed in 4.1 I bet. Maybe we will see a 4.0.2.....

This is really not THAT big of a deal as it's been made out to be either, its not like the phone becomes unusable.

I agree, but I was not going to buy a $29 rubber band so that I would not drop call as much. Also I find it interensting that Apple has never made a case for it's phones, but in the release of this phone, apple has it's own "bumper" to cover the antenna ready to go at launch. Jobs said the bloomburg report was "bullshit" or a "crock". I think that is a bold face lie. They had to know the antenna was an issue, why else make the "bumper"? They never made a case for any other iPhone.

Truthfully I have said all along the proximity sensor is a bigger issue. Steve said that will be fixed in the next update.

Look at the shit Toyota got for something that's a user error, but since it's apple, a simple band aid will suffice and apple is still the bee's knees. Squirrels.

Are you serious?

People died in the car wrecks. People had to redial the phone when it dropped thier call.....

Little bit of a difference

We already knew that though, it was another very vauge comment, complete BS IMO, he should have had a date for Pre-order. He also mentioned the proximity sensor issue, which I feel is even worse than the antenna issue. That will be fixed in 4.1 I bet. Maybe we will see a 4.0.2.....

My bad, I didn't realize apple ever publicly put any kind of time frame at all on the white yet.

As for the proximity sensor... I actually had mine act up the other day. Nothing gayer than the phone accidentally putting itself on speaker during a conversation.

The dumbest thing in the world, and I dont mean the people here, although it gets a little crazy sometimes :D, is the amount of arguing going on over cell phones in the comments sections on engadget and gizmodo. You'd think these people were sunni and shiites or something. Do people really have nothing better to do?

Back on topic: Yea for a free case, though I don't have reception issues anywhere. I haven't even heard about the proximity sensor issue yet. Just got back from vacation. Though Ive never noticed anything wrong.