What to do with newly rooted incredible

justinwebb

So i just got done rooting my gf's incredible pretty easy process overall now what are some things i can start doing with it? Any good roms to try? also is there any place to get apps for free that you would normally pay for? I know iphone has one huge site wasnt sure if android had a site too for free apps that normally cost. Thanks guys as i am an android noob :p

so, i was thinking about this on mine, mainly because theres a couple things i want to get rid of (city ID for one), and the wireless tether lets me use my phone as a wifi hotspot for my computer without verizon finding out (as long as i dont use a shitload of data) right?

im a complete tard when it comes to stuff like this though...are there any downsides at all to this? and how hard is it to reverse it?

and you wanna make a few bucks and do mine if i decide to go through with it?

its easy as hell i didnt even really read much into it coming from jailbreaking iphones its second nature now lol. If you want to read up on it here is what i followed

http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-root-the-htc-droid-incredible/

or i can do it in about 10 mins lol and there are no downsides as its reversible

its easy as hell i didnt even really read much into it coming from jailbreaking iphones its second nature now lol. If you want to read up on it here is what i followed

http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-root-the-htc-droid-incredible/

or i can do it in about 10 mins lol and there are no downsides as its reversible

Please keep in mind that guide uses unrevoked and unrevoked is not full root.

You guys do realize that 2.2 just started rolling out tonight right? you should be getting the update within the next few days if everything goes good.

so? with the new 2.2 Froyo just find a new rom that includes it...

do i lose all the stuff thats on my phone (pictures, apps ive downloaded, etc) when i root it, or in the event that i un-root it?

also, how does it affect any updates, like when 2.2 comes out?

no, you won't loose pictures, as far as apps, download an app called titanium backup and back all your apps up.

As far as contacts, etc... that's all tied up on the gmail servers, so it all comes back down for you.

you asked a question about wireless and verizon not knowing... I think VZW has embrased tethering since it's offered now with the 2.2 ROM... it just gives you the wireless option with up to 8 machines able to connect.

right, but doesnt verizon charge you for it, where as with this it kinda does it so they dont find out, thus making you not pay for it? thats kinda the impression i got talking about it with someone

29.99 UNLIMITED data plan is required for any android device.

I've heard guys mention to stay under 5gb, but I've never had any issues and you could argue with them that you have an unlimited data plan and get charges reversed if they do try it. But my guess would be since FROYO now comes with wired tethering out the gate, you won't get any issues from VZW.

I've heard guys mention to stay under 5gb, but I've never had any issues and you could argue with them that you have an unlimited data plan and get charges reversed if they do try it. But my guess would be since FROYO now comes with wired tethering out the gate, you won't get any issues from VZW.

My buddy at work cleared the 5gb mark 2 months in a row. He uses the internet on his phone non stop. It is on at least 10 hrs a day at work listening to I<3Radio and then surfing whatever they are talking about on the radio. I am sure he spends time on it at home too. He has not got any problems from VZW YET.

the $30 data plan is different than the $20/mo for 5gb for the wireless tethering

If you want to root DO NOT INSTALL THE 2.2 OVER THE AIR UPDATE.

This has not been rooted yet. This means if you install it you can't root. If you are already rooted and install it you will break root.

Someone said that guide listed above has you install Unrevoked. Do that and then install Unrevoked Forever. This gives you full root access so you can install roms. Its insanely simple to get to this point, I have maybe 20 minutes in both those steps on my Evo.

Once you have Unrevoked Forever you can install Rom Manager by Clockworkmod and install a rooted 2.2 rom. Easy peasy.

Sense is like riced out android. I dont like the HTC apps, some of the widgets are kind of cool, but that's about it. I cant find any proof, but Sense is more resource strenuous. Back when I ran sense on my G1, which doesnt come close to what phones have now so it was more noticeable, it would slow the phone down a lot, you actually had to partition your SD and use one partition for extra memory just to run sense. Rosie.apk (sense) is constantly running on top of android.

Cyanogen has been making custom roms for android phones since the G1 days, moved on to the N1 and now he makes a rom for just about any android phone. He makes improvements to everything he can in the source code, and includes every setting imaginable for your phone. He swears by vanilla android, and that alone should be a reason to ditch Sense...unless you really like.

If you want to root DO NOT INSTALL THE 2.2 OVER THE AIR UPDATE.

This has not been rooted yet. This means if you install it you can't root. If you are already rooted and install it you will break root.

Someone said that guide listed above has you install Unrevoked. Do that and then install Unrevoked Forever. This gives you full root access so you can install roms. Its insanely simple to get to this point, I have maybe 20 minutes in both those steps on my Evo.

Once you have Unrevoked Forever you can install Rom Manager by Clockworkmod and install a rooted 2.2 rom. Easy peasy.

negative ghost writer, I ran the upgrade on my phone, no issue... I have sense upgraded to another ROM that has 2.2 built in, but the upgrade did not damage my ROM that I was running at the time what so ever...