Car for 16 year old - recommendations

caseyctsv

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots ogf good info here guys - thanks for the replies. Had not looked that deep into the Grand Am idea - had one and like the way it drove. It is clear why they are cheap. Going to look into that Buick. They are absolutely one of the most boring cars out there but that is just what she needs!

I am going to pay cash - could pay more but in the end it is safe to assume she will wreck it. I hate to say that and hope she doesn't - she is very mature but I think I am safer to assume I will be losing this money.

As far as me getting old - yep - but I did have her at 21. I started early!

last year i sold my wife's '99 sentra for $2400. it had 115k miles on it. would have been perfect for your daughter. my vote goes for a sentra. absolutely everything worked on it, we never had one single problem with it--it was well-maintained, oil changes by me every 3-4k miles, and i have absolutely NO doubt it will last another 100k miles. some 18 year old girl bought it for a college car before we left florida. i wanted a quick sale, she got a great deal. look for a sentra, would be my advice

I cant believe there are so many people stating you cant find a good car for around $3k.

+1

i bought my 1990 grand prix in 2000 for $3k. i drove it from 75k miles to 150k miles with only minor maintainence. the head gasket blew at 150k miles. i fixxed it, gave it to my grandfather in 2007, and it still runs to this day. plenty of cars for $3k that will last

I know I can get a decent car for this price...may take a bit but will happen.

On the Grand Am--->http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/pontiac/grand-am/2001/retail-value/safety-specifications?id=4916&condition=excellent&mileage=114000

Safety rating is minimum 3 stars across the board?

Thanks man. Was not doubting it but just saw conflicting info. You would think that would be something that would be reported consistently.

We had a 2000 Alero back in the day. Had it loaded up and it was a nice car, but had typical GM issues 3yrs later. It was just an interim car, but I was mad that I found out about the ratings after we got it. Wasn't as in-tune with these things early on. Now I don't buy anything unless it's safe.

Compare that with this: I say find her a Mazda 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAR3vziNezo

I would not feel comfortable having my child's first car be anything smaller than a Grand Prix/Taurus midsize car. The Taurus is a very safe car, but has trans issues. My 95 saved my life when I was 19.

Let them get good at driving with something like that, then more into a smaller car later on if that is something you want to do.

Mk3 Golf or Jetta. Even a B4 or 5 Passat would fill the bill. For 3K you can find an excellent one. Easy to work on, and not any different and Japanese make for maintenance costs, and cheaper than most. Awesome gas mileage, and love to be lowered. You can find beat ones as well as well maintained ones.