Hit a new best speed

Sam1647545489

Took the boat out to buckeye early this morning while it was still calm and nobody out there. Trimmed it up alot and was able to hit 60 mph on the speedo. Not sure how accurate the speedo is but that is the highest its ever ran. This was with a 19 pitch prop. I plan on having a SS 21 pitch prop this week. I was surprised and happy with it and just thought i would let every one know. LOL.

rpm / 1.50 x 19 / 1056 = theoretical speed of 59.97, but you need to factor in prop slip which is probably at 10%. Still not bad for a stock sbc.

Thats what I said. Not to bad for a worn out 350. I'm hoping the 21 pitch prop puts me in the 63-64 mph range. If not I will try a 23 pitch. Tommy, do you guys have a small blower laying around that I can put on this whore...

I don't have one, don't know if Bill does or not. Not hard, but like I said in that pm I don't want to type it all out. Is it the same bell housing bolt pattern as a standard gm v8?

As far as I know they are except one bolt which shouldnt matter. If they are, are you saying that an ls1 will mate right to the lower unit with the proper bellhousing?

Thats what I said. Not to bad for a worn out 350. I'm hoping the 21 pitch prop puts me in the 63-64 mph range. If not I will try a 23 pitch

Just a suggestion but I would confirm what RPM you're running with the 19" prop before you go up in prop size. If you are turning 4800-5000 RPM you're probably right where you need to be with the prop size. As a rule of thumb you lose 200RPM for each inch increase in prop size. Unless you're increasing the power pretty dramatically to offset the loss in RPM the boat will probably lose top end and put a lot of additional load on the engine.

Just a suggestion but I would confirm what RPM you're running with the 19" prop before you go up in prop size. If you are turning 4800-5000 RPM you're probably right where you need to be with the prop size. As a rule of thumb you lose 200RPM for each inch increase in prop size. Unless you're increasing the power pretty dramatically to offset the loss in RPM the boat will probably lose top end and put a lot of additional load on the engine.

Matt, I know I will lose rpm but for future use I wanna get a better prop. I plan on having a 350 hp motor in next year or something close to that, whether I upgrade to a new motor or upgrade the existing.

This guy on ls1tech did it. I know I seen a few others discussing it

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/931024-my-ls1-powered-ski-boat.html

That is not swapped boat. I need to see how they mated the engine to the outdrive and what manifolds to get and what water pump to run.

Matt, I know I will lose rpm but for future use I wanna get a better prop. I plan on having a 350 hp motor in next year or something close to that, whether I upgrade to a new motor or upgrade the existing.

Gotcha. Sometimes you can find a deal on engines here.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/engines_and_transmissions_parts_or_complete-b13_0-en.html

It's always fun to check out some power options.