Got into a bad accident last night...

RC K9

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, that was a good looking car. sucks to hear, but like people said, cars are replaceable--

i'd fight the other lady's insurance company for more than blue book--you have the receipts, etc. then buy the car back, part it out, and find another clean 1g

Sorry, to hear man just hope you are okay!

I wouldn't even sweet a $8k car. Get a good lawyer and get everything that's owed to you. If you were in the hospital for long should come at you to cover all expenses plus some pretty easy. If her insurance won't fork it over via your lawyer then I would small claims her ass for whatever you can. Hell, garnish her wages if you have to...

Ryan it was good to hear from you today,, the car looks horrible.. if you want i'll pretend to be your lawyer/hardass to their ins company..i'm sure we'll get you some money.. just lemme send that pic of you in the hospital with the neck brace... See ya soon man.. heal up.

When insurance totals a car out, doesnt it only normally cost about %10 to buy the car back? So if it was $1900 KBB he would pay like $200 to get his car back after it being totaled out. Definitely sound like a place to start.

Hope you heal up soon, looked like it hurt.

Wouldn't have been for sale. I have invested so much time working on it and ding things they way I wanted them done I couldn't sell it for what anybody would offer me. Cost of car and all parts I probably have about $5000. I wouldn't sell it for anywhere near that because a lot of the parts I sat and was patient for and waited for good deals on. Full retail on all the parts puts that thing closer to $8K or so. That's why this situation hurts so much. I don't know where I am going to be able to find a 1Ga this clean for the price range I will need it in...ahhh...we will see what happens.

On another note, is anyone on here a lawyer that thinks I can get "taken care of" in this situation? I am not trying to take advantage of anyone but I do NOT want to get screwed here...

I was in a similar accident my senior year in HS, trust me you will get a SHIT TON of mail in the next few weeks all from attorney's wanting to represent you saying they can get you the most money etc... Seriously i lived with my parents at the time (obviously i was still in hs) and everyday I'd get the mail and every fucking day there'd be 10 letters addressed to me. All the accident information is public record and the attorney's offices' check this shit everyday.

As for cost of the car, get representation and explain what the car meant to you and its true worth not its blue book. I think you'll get what you deserve not to mention health costs, pain and suffering, loss of work etc...

Wow, scary pictures. You can fight the insurance a little if you can find cars of similar value which sold around you. Might be able to get $3k from them.

On a side note to everyone, get your car insured for what it is worth. I have a MR2 turbo which is like this DSM. It is a seller's market and people pay thousands more then blue book for them. I have mine insured for $10k while the blue book is only about $4k. I know it is too late for you Ryan, but for everyone else.

Buy the car back for cheap and part it out or swap it over to another car.

I'm just waiting for someone to run a light and nail me. Not that I hope for it, but when/if it happens, yeah, I'll be one of the thousands that works the system for a few years to get my fair share of return. Being my wife's a lawyer, I've seen first hand people walk away with large, very large settlements. Not everyone, but a number of them do.

If she was cited/found at fault you can go after her/her insurance company for more in damages. Hopefully you have receipts for some of the parts, and the car just tell them to search for similar cars in similar condition/miles and they should see that the car is worth a premium over book value. You might have to do some legwork yourself/fight the company for more money but I and many others have been in your exact shoes before, so it can be done.

Glad you weren't hurt, sorry to see the car damaged so bad. Good luck getting your money.

Been there, done that, works, do it

The way it works is because your insurance will only cover it for what you have it insured for ( usually blue book unless you carry extra coverage which you have to ask for and then get approved). However since she is at fault, she has deprived you of your property and has to replace it. Pictures showing the cars immaculate condition, a parts list (with receipts will help a lot) will go a long way. Just don't bend over and take it, fight back

wow, that sucks to hear.

really have to watch your back (or side) everywhere anymore, though when the lights green its hard to remember to still look both ways lol.

Just Friday I had two cars smash head on about 1' from my bumper at a T intersection while driving to work...

Definately cannot hurt to lawyer up!

yeah that sucks. was she cited? was there a wit? about 90% of the accidents are disputed unless there is a witness or proof. hope your ok. you should be able to buy the car back for a good price. but like stated before, do some research find cars like yours for sale and get together a parts list with prices. it can only help. don't get an atty for your car, complete waste. just fight for what you want, but remember they only owe for market value. I know its worth more to you then to anyone else.

as far as the injury. if its not serious, imo its not worth it to get a lawyer. they do take 30% of the settlement. and the insurance company isn't going to change their offer just for any atty. sometimes they lower it..... Like tim stated, some people get huge settlements and others don't. it all depends on the insurance company, the type of injury, and the adj handling it. let me know if you have any questions.

I'm just waiting for someone to run a light and nail me. Not that I hope for it, but when/if it happens, yeah, I'll be one of the thousands that works the system for a few years to get my fair share of return. Being my wife's a lawyer, I've seen first hand people walk away with large, very large settlements. Not everyone, but a number of them do.

No so fast there! You are hoping a fully insured US citizen hits you. I got raped when an unlicensed, uninsured, illegal ran a light and hit me, to the tune of about $20k. It's hard to sue someone who you cannot find, or even confirm is still in the country. And I can't forget to thank the CPD for taking him home, instead of to jail.

Be careful what you wish for.....

No so fast there! You are hoping a fully insured US citizen hits you. I got raped when an unlicensed, uninsured, illegal ran a light and hit me, to the tune of about $20k. It's hard to sue someone who you cannot find, or even confirm is still in the country. And I can't forget to thank the CPD for taking him home, instead of to jail.

Be careful what you wish for.....

+1 my wifes mom this spring got nailed by an illegal alien and the lady didn't have a dl, insurance, or anything. She didn't get cited or taken to jail. Mom in law got shafted in that situation.