What is the purpose...

FourString

...of a delay on a dishwasher? Just bought a new dishwasher that has a delay in hourly increments with a limit of four hours. My previous dishwasher had one as well. I never used the delay on the previous dishwasher, and I have no desire to use it on the new unit either.

Feel free to discuss. This is serious business.

...of a delay on a dishwasher? Just bought a new dishwasher that has a delay in hourly increments with a limit of four hours. My previous dishwasher had one as well. I never used the delay on the previous dishwasher, and I have no desire to use it on the new unit either.

Feel free to discuss. This is serious business.

We've had it on our last two and use it occasionally. I don't love it, but it has it's place. It really all depends on your schedule and environment. Our kitchen is off of our great room and the house has an open floor plan, so while the unit is relatively quiet, if I'm trying to watch a movie and keep the surround system low in volume, often times, even the hum of a dishwasher is annoying. So I'll set it to run 1-2-3 hrs in the future, say at midnight and thus I don't have to worry about remembering to turn it on.

On the same note, I'll often load it up in the morning but with the kids eating breakfast, I want to load up their dishes when they are done, yet if we're running late, I might not and certainly don't want to forget to run the thing while I'm gone. I also may set it to run 2-3 hrs later so that it's not running when my wife jumps in the shower. Again, one less thing I have to remember to turn on as I leave the house for my day.

With the new systems that will heat up the water during a high temp wash, there's no longer a need to run the hot water at the faucet to prime the unit with hot water. Back in the day when the units didn't have the high temp setting, often the first rinse was with warm water vs pure hot. Now though, the systems all run at 160 degrees or better.

That's how we use it.