What's a modded car worth?

Cordell

Okay serious question, I know prabably not much, but my car specifically. 2002 Camaro Z28 fully loaded, leather, ect, LQ4 forged bottom end (370ci), Perfomabuilt 4L60 lvl 3, Circle D 4000 stall converter, Moser 9" set-up 3.70 gears, posi, NOS plate kit, NX Maximizer progressive 150 shot, plus all supporting mods. Car is solid, everything is in great shape, drivetrain is less then 6 months old, Engine is just over a year old with about 10k miles on it. Car made about 400rwhp all motor, and over 500 on spray.

I'm getting tired of the car, its paid off, and I'm thinking of moving on. This is not a for sale thread, this is a what if thread. Most of you have seen the car, and here's the project managment thread http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1133337#post1133337

Just give me your honest opinion.

Honestly, cars are never an investment... sure you can increase the value, but you'll never get back what you put into a car. The only way to sell something that you've put that much time, money and sweat into is just put an honest price on it, that you can personally sleep with at night, after it's sold.

Remember, I sold my old Corolla that I happily dumped twice as much into as what I sold it for? I knew realistically I'd never get the 14-16k out of it that I put into it. But I also told myself, If I could at least get 7-8k for it.. I would let it go, and be fine with that.

Honestly, cars are never an investment... sure you can increase the value, but you'll never get back what you put into a car. The only way to sell something that you've put that much time, money and sweat into is just put an honest price on it, that you can personally sleep with at night, after it's sold.

Remember, I sold my old Corolla that I happily dumped twice as much into as what I sold it for? I knew realistically I'd never get the 14-16k out of it that I put into it. But I also told myself, If I could at least get 7-8k for it.. I would let it go, and be fine with that.

Well said. While you might be able to get better than blue book your limited as to who will buy it. Only an enthusiast will buy an enthusiast car, mostly b/c they know their getting a deal. You never get out of it what you put into it. If its money you want back, part it out and take it as close back to stock as you can. If its not about money and your just bored, find a figure that your willing to settle on but keep it realistic.

This I am very aware of, perhaps the title was a little deceiving, maybe it should say whats my modded car worth.

The body has about 60k miles on it.

Look at book value first, then browse what other people are "trying" to sell theirs for. Remember that if you see someone asking 15K it does not mean that they are going to get that. Price it in with the majority. Modded cars are tough to price, it's worth what someone is willing to pay since they know it has been run hard, plus in my eyes it is tough to trust someone elses work.

Obviously I know you, but to someone else they have got to trust the work was done right.

Keep it and put a supercharger, or turbo on it, then you won't be bored again for a year or two.

I'd really like to, but I'm tired of sacrificing to mod my car. I really don't think I'll be selling it, my wife sure wouldn't let me anyway, I'm just at a point where I won't let myself keep modding and the thought of selling came up.

I lost my ass in my car :) fuck modded cars!!!!!

Well you relied too much on people who shouldn't have been doing the work in the first place. I knew I would never get half the money back I put into this car, but if I had to pay labor like you did I'd be saying fuck modded cars too. Even with all the parts I've broke I bet I haven't spent near as much as some (not directed at you Dover) to go this fast, but I enjoyed doing it and I will do it again in the future.

I lost my ass in my car :) fuck modded cars!!!!!

^^ THIS!

I'd really like to, but I'm tired of sacrificing to mod my car. I really don't think I'll be selling it, my wife sure wouldn't let me anyway, I'm just at a point where I won't let myself keep modding and the thought of selling came up.

I'm in the same boat, its more of a hassle than anything anymore, but I refuse to sell my car, so I'll just hang on to it and get it out every so often to cruise around with

If you do your own labor you dont lose as much. I know scott has done alot of work on his own car so he prolly wont lose as much. Mostly all you will lose is just your time you had working on the car plus parts money.

I know, the first time was hard to do my own labor when I was deployed hence the $20K bill from Precision. The other misc. stuff here and there was nothing I wanted to tangle with. Then the motor/rearend/tranny I just did not want to fuck with as, myself and some friends had weeks before swapped the IRS and did a clutch all on jack stands in a garage and I did not want to do that again. Maybe if I decide to do another car it'll come from the factory with enough power to be suffice on the street and do basic bolt ons I can perform in my garage.

hell 300whp is enough to have fun now a days cause people dont race shit anyway.. there was a time i remember when 500rwhp was fast and people were getting faster and faster, but it seems as though we have back tracked and no one really cares what the car makes or how fast it really COULD be cause no one races anyway..