You Go Ford!

Mowgli1647545497

Nice to see some good news in the domestic auto space.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39786621/ns/business-us_business/

Here's my favorite line:

In addition, the unionized workers who have remained at Ford and the other U.S. carmakers have had to accept concessions to their once extremely generous labor contracts to keep their jobs.

Guest 614Streets
I refuse to buy a Subaru based on their gay commercials alone. I can't decide who's got the queerest commercials, Subaru, or Toyota.

Word Toyota commercials from the 80's is how aids started.

Subaru FTW. First digit of my Legacy's VIN is a 4.

meaning?

list of cars id like to own before im 30.(or too old to care about cars anymore. which ever comes first)

RU

another 4g63- evo, or 1st gen DSM.

03/04 cobra

BMW 7 series.

7 series is baller.. an 18 year old friend of mine has one and im jealous as fuck. granted it is a late 00s model, still classier than my POS teg.

meaning?

A 1, 4, or 5 as the first digit of the VIN means the car was built in the US. You might be surprised how many "domestics" don't start with one of those three numbers. Subaru has been steadily bringing production into the US. Right now, All Legacy models including the Outbacks that are sold in the US, and EVERY Tribecca on the planet are built by SIA in Indiana with American steel. (As well as the Toyota Camry. I'll have to look into where the Forrester is built) When the automotive industry was on the rocks, Subaru was the only company to post consistent growth instead of decline. This meant more jobs for american auto workers when the Big 3 were laying people off.

I'm not trying to say that Subaru is better than Domestic companies; I know that some of the money leaves our shores when you buy one. But just that the "domestics" aren't the only companies doing good for the people out there.

Eh?

They put a steel prop rod in a steel bracket without a bushing in between. Then they mounted it on top of the radiator core where it'll be hit with whatever weather you're driving through. What kind of idiot thought this was a good idea? We open the hoods daily to check the fluid levels so they aren't just sitting in place for months at a time, but they still seize up. Every month or so in the winter I'll pop the hood, and lift the prop rod only to have the bracket bend upwards. Then I'll have to get the rubber mallet and PB Blaster to straighten it out and get the rod un-seized. I've never had this problem in any other car because the prop-rod has always been in a plastic or rubber bushing so it won't seize.

The Colorado is the worst engineered vehicle I've ever had the mispleasure of driving. I could go on for pages on just how much of a bunch of morons the design team was citing specific examples. But we shouldn't derail this thread any more than it already is.

A 1, 4, or 5 as the first digit of the VIN means the car was built in the US. You might be surprised how many "domestics" don't start with one of those three numbers. Subaru has been steadily bringing production into the US. Right now, All Legacy models including the Outbacks that are sold in the US, and EVERY Tribecca on the planet are built by SIA in Indiana with American steel. (As well as the Toyota Camry. I'll have to look into where the Forrester is built) When the automotive industry was on the rocks, Subaru was the only company to post consistent growth instead of decline. This meant more jobs for american auto workers when the Big 3 were laying people off.

I'm not trying to say that Subaru is better than Domestic companies; I know that some of the money leaves our shores when you buy one. But just that the "domestics" aren't the only companies doing good for the people out there.

http://www.huliq.com/10281/hyundai-be-most-american-automaker-2011

Not surprising. It's really surprising how the "Buy American" argument with cars is no where near as clear-cut these days.

Hopefully with FoMoCo tightening the belt on labor costs they'll be able to bring more production back to the US. And then, who knows? Maybe Detroit will rise from the dead.