What wheel to get for GT5?

Nitrousbird

I'm all about starting threads today - but here is another. I've got gift cards to burn, so what GT5 wheel should I get?

The Logitech Driving Force GT looks right up what I would want for features/price (G27 looks awesome, but the price is a bit steep).

Anything else I should consider, and if so, why? I Googled some reviews, but didn't find any good comparison reviews, just feature comparisons.

As much as I hate to say it because I love my G25, go with the DFGT. If you don't have a proper mounting method (ie Playseat) or your not "hardcore" about racing sims on the pc you might as well save the money. I am really interested to see the reviews on this T500 from Thrustmaster. I just can't believe the $599 price tag. If they want to get back into the market they need to go cheaper on this product, regardless if it's worth it or not.

For the longest time I was using the Logitech Momo force feedback wheel and really couldn't figure out why the others would be any better.

...BUT my wife got me the G27 for christmas and it's an amazing leap forward. The pedals on the G27 are sooooooooo much better particularly in brake pedal feel. There are a couple companies that take the G27 pedals even a step further adding a hydraulic cylinder to make then even more realistic. She also got me a playseat too. It's completely transformed the experience of sim racing. I've been even more addicted to iRacing since.

For GT5 I'm not sure the G27 is necessary...probably a bit overkill actually since it seems like the inputs for the PS3 are pretty limited. I think any old wheel would work just fine for GT5 play but the G27 is still pretty cool. The PS3 specific logitech wheels are much easier to configure for the PS3 though if that's all you're going to be doing. If you intend on trying out rFactor (highly recommend) and iRacing (REALLY REALLY recommend) you might want to spring for a better wheel.

Andy

There's some wheel articles right there on the first page, others with a search. Not sure if you've been to this website or not, yet.

http://www.gtplanet.net/

Also, I noticed while on GT5 yesterday or the day before, they mention the two gt5 licensed wheels in the "news" section that's on the Home, Arcade, Options, etc page in-game.

I use a Logitech MOMO for GT5. While it works well, I have not been able to map any of the buttons specifically for navigation functions in GT5. The steering, gear shifts and pedals works by default. I just make sure I use a PS controller (must be assigned to controller 1) for navigation. Like Andy, I use a Playseat and that does make it a lot easier to play. I am also sure the Logitech MOMO's are fairly cheap these days.

I am really interested to see the reviews on this T500 from Thrustmaster. I just can't believe the $599 price tag. If they want to get back into the market they need to go cheaper on this product, regardless if it's worth it or not.

Yes I just quoted myself... but thats what the wheel in GT5's news is about. I would buy G27's and Fantec wheels over this all day at it's current price point.