VW Jetta TDi for $2k?

zeitgeist57

A co-worker of mine is buying a new 2010 Taurus and getting rid of his 2000 Jetta Diesel. He's been the original owner since new, and it's got 132k miles on it now. It's a 5-SPEED, and he did TB/WP/thermostat service recently. Bad news? It's very, very dirty, black paint has not been well taken care of, and it's on the stock clutch. I WANT THIS CAR.

He and I have talked about the car forever, because I've always fantisized about a diesel VW. He was actually going to donate it for a tax-writeoff (he's an estate attorney:)) but he told me if I wanted it he'd let it go for maybe $2k (I'm wondering if I could get him to go lower...) For me now, I could really use 50mpg as I travel a good bit between Cleveland, Pittsburgh, WV and Cincinnati.

Even if I sold it, I could probably get more than $2k for it, right?

I would guess it wouldn't be to hard. KBB for a fair condition GL (base) with no options is $3740. NADA for a rough condition GL with no options is $2325. I would say get it, drive it, if you don't like it get it detailed and sell it for $3000 quickly if not more.

Typically the MKIV TDI's bring a premium over what KBB has them valued at.

My daily driver is a '00 TDI Jetta GLS with 205k on it, I wouldn't let it go for $2K. Used TDI's can be hard to find, most owners drive them 'til they die.

As others have stated, you should snag that thing quickly.

Last time I was looking at used Jettas I found one for $2000. It was a 2003 with 203k miles on it and the wheel bearing were shot so bad I though the tires would fall off when driving.

Dude go buy the diesel or give me the info and I will :)

It was also serviced at a reputable Euro indy shop since it went off warranty...he's got all the records. I think there is some rust spots but shouldn't be too big of an issue. It's a GL with no CD player, but PW/PL/Cruise/AC so it's got the basics...

I'm going to talk to my wife tonight. Srsly, I'll probably buy it and clean it up, drive it for the rest of the winter and sell it in the spring for a profit. More to come...

It was also serviced at a reputable Euro indy shop since it went off warranty...he's got all the records. I think there is some rust spots but shouldn't be too big of an issue. It's a GL with no CD player, but PW/PL/Cruise/AC so it's got the basics...

I'm going to talk to my wife tonight. Srsly, I'll probably buy it and clean it up, drive it for the rest of the winter and sell it in the spring for a profit. More to come...

Stop thinking. If the timing belt has been replaced recently this is awesome buy.

If you get it, this is the single best purchase you can make:

http://www.frostheater.com/

I don't have garage space for mine so it sits outside. Starting it up and having instant heat is so nice. The diesel won't warm up sitting at idle and it takes several miles for it to come up to temp, the frostheater cures this.

PAP Parts in Polaris is good for TDI parts if needed.

I could even sell you some SSR GT3's that would fit it also. They are the ones that where stolen that I got back for cheap. ;) Wheel Medic will need to do a bit of work before they go on the car.

One of my favorite wheels, those would look great on a lowered Jetta. 17's or 18's?

He said the timing belt was done recently

People's idea of recently is sometime pretty ludacris. Recently does not cut it in my book.

People tell us their car was just in at our shop for service and it has been over a year....take it for what you wish.

People's idea of recently is sometime pretty ludacris. Recently does not cut it in my book.

People tell us their car was just in at our shop for service and it has been over a year....take it for what you wish.

Yeah, but based on that mileage, even if it was last year, that's likely only 10,000 miles ago.