Hit by police car, then beat by policemen

jeffro

damn. video inside

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/05/texas.police.beating/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

(CNN) -- Houston's mayor and police department were on the defensive Friday, two days after graphic video came out showing several police repeatedly kicking and beating a 15-year-old burglary suspect as he lay on the ground.

An internal police investigation of the incident last March led to the firing of seven police officers, said spokesman John Cannon of the Houston police department.

Two successfully appealed and returned to their jobs, said Houston NAACP President D.Z. Cofield.

Five other officers were disciplined in other ways, Cannon said. And a Harris County grand jury indicted four of the officers this summer, based in part on the video.

Harris County District Attorney Patricia Lykos opposed the video becoming public and felt doing so might prejudice potential jurors and force the indicted officers' trials to be moved out of the county.

Quanell X, a local activist, got hold of the surveillance tape showing the scene outside a storage facility and gave it to the media.

He said he had every right to obtain the footage and make it public.

"I will show my people what they deserve to see, and let the public see what you don't want them to see," Quanell X said.

Mayor Annise Parker said the police leadership and city acted properly.

"I resent any implication that we were trying to hide the tape," she said.

After viewing the footage, Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland Jr. fired the seven officers and a grand jury called for misdemeanor charges against four of them in June.

Lykos told reporters Thursday there was not sufficient evidence to pursue more serious charges, such as aggravated assault.

"Without revealing what was presented to the grand jury, in order to have aggravated assault you have to have serious bodily injury or impairment or use of a deadly weapon," she said. "None of that was apparent in this case."

The tape, first shown Wednesday on CNN affiliate WTRK, shows the 15-year-old boy -- being chased by police and falling to the ground after being upended by a moving police car. He then falls face first and places his hands on the ground.

A disciplinary letter from McClelland, dated June 23 and posted online less than two weeks later by CNN affiliate HTRK, says that the boy had his hands behind his head and neck area, in an obvious position of surrender.

Then, the letter adds and the tape shows, Officer Raad Hassan "then ran toward (the boy) and kicked him a total of 15 times," then later kicked him more times in the groin area even after he "was handcuffed and no longer a threat."

Several other officers, repeatedly kicking and punching the 15-year-old, who barely moved the whole time.

Like Parker, the head of Houston's police union said the incident did not reflect on the make-up or usual activity of officers on the force.

"We have thousands of officers who do a great job every day and they're not involved in this," said Mark Clark, the union's executive director. "It's serious and it's a reflection on the department."

Cofield sharply criticized the police officers' actions as well as how civic leaders had handled the case afterward during a news conference Thursday. That includes officials' unwillingness to make the tape public.

"For us, what seems to be a tragedy (is) repeated one more time in Harris County," he said.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because running from the police deserves getting beaten like a fucking animal by 7 people. I dont care if he murdered someone, or was just running from the police because he was scared, that is undeserving in any society. Especially our so called highly civilized modern society we call the USoA. It sickens me to think this shit happens.

Young black men in this country already know whats going to happen if they run, suspect or not. They are hoping for the big payday. The beating is something they want so why not give it to them.

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/thats-racist.gif

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5572897/Racist-guy-is-racist.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Pissed-off-Obama

A few of you in here are fucking idiots and have no idea what you're talking about. I can understand if the guy had just shot a cop or something, but there's no excuse for that treatment. IT's that fucking simple. You cannot argue it. Morals and beliefs aside, a police officer has certain codes and laws they must abide by, as well. Period.

A few of you in here are fucking idiots and have no idea what you're talking about. I can understand if the guy had just shot a cop or something, but there's no excuse for that treatment. IT's that fucking simple. You cannot argue it. Morals and beliefs aside, a police officer has certain codes and laws they must abide by, as well. Period.

Just to play Devil's advocate...

What if I said:

Morals and beliefs aside, a citizen has certain codes and laws they must abide by, as well. Period.

Like, not running from the law.

Adrenaline is a heck of a drug. And no, that is not an excuse for the suspect or the police. We don't know what led up to that moment on tape. Another thought - someone running - and then in turn, cop cars racing through city streets to catch them - put lots of innocent people in danger.

So because one person errs, another person is allowed to? Two wrongs certainly dont make it right.

Obviously.

Weird to think that in a lot of other countries, the guy would have been shot in the back the second he turned to run from the authorities. AND OMG NO, I'M NOT SAYING THAT IS RIGHT EITHER.

you guys are only seeing a small portion of what happened... you have NO IDEA what happened up to this point.... he was fleeing, but what else did he do? A group of cops aren't going to just hit someone with a car and then beat the shit out of him unles he did something very bad to deserve it.