Good First Cars?

Brendon

Good First Cars?

I've been looking around online for something that would be a good car or me. I looked at older Camaro's, Firebird's & Nova's. What hesitates me from getting something like that is because they're usually RWD, and car insurance rates and I don't know how well having a RWD car in the snow and rain would be for an un-experienced driver. I want something real cheap, but something that will hold up well enough that will last me a while. Any suggestions?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It says that you already own a Camaro... Good first cars. First cheap has many definetions. What is cheap to you is more than likely not going to be cheap for me bla bla bla. Give us a sure set number range that you are trying to spend. Also do you prefer auto or manual or do you not know yet? Two doors or four? There is alot you need to break down for us before we can start giving legit options for you because right now we are just shooting into the dark.

Civic or accord

Buy a Cheap to own cheap to repair and super reliable car that will always get you A to B. Once you have extra $ buy a 2nd car to work on and then when it breaks or will not ______ then you still get to school/ work

this is the best advice. everyone wants a hot-rod for their first car. there's nothing more miserable then having to repair your car because you need transportation the next day---fast cars break down all the time. usually because most people can only afford a well-used example, when they purchase their first car. get a reliable daily, and then make the fun car a non-daily driver.

Chevy S10.

They are cheap. Parts are cheap. Insurance is cheap. Gas mileage isn't bad. They are easy to work on, reliable, and practical. Not fast enough to get you into trouble, but not girly enough that you'd feel like a homo driving it.

Chevy S10.

They are cheap. Parts are cheap. Insurance is cheap. Gas mileage isn't bad. They are easy to work on, reliable, and practical. Not fast enough to get you into trouble, but not girly enough that you'd feel like a homo driving it.

while I do agree, he said car

mine was a '59 chevy pickup truck. i wouldn't recommend it.

it wasn't mine, but for a while I drove a '97 Celica. the clutch might as well have been made of cheese it was so crappy but it got from a to b and it never needed any special maintenance when i drove it between 95k and 110k miles.

I would lease a new car.

Cheap payments, a new car to fuck up that isn't even really yours, and chicks will dig it.

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/500/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Why would you try to purposefully start this kid off on the wrong foot financially?

To the OP, how old are you? I'm guessing in highschool, so financing a car is not only probably out of the question, but a really bad idea.

V6 F-bodies arent bad first cars. yes they are RWD, but have and open diff which keeps ya out of quite a bit of trouble in slippery conditions. Not mention you can get excelent gas mileage with them. back when my car was stock, i did about half city half freeway one a tank of gas and averaged 27 mpg with an auto tranny, and i have never been easy on this car.

Honda...any type. GREAT gas mileage and you can do a few small things while waiting to get your "hot rod". Throw some nice summer wheels on it, but a decent radio in it, keep your self happy doing all of the small tune-up stuff that will actually net you slightly better performance and will increase your gas money. All the money you save in gas will be more to set aside for your next toy. I would HIGHLY recommend something as stock as possible and with VTEC. The stock aspect saves you from fixing some other kids mistakes when trying to get 20 hp with this mod his friend told him about. The VTEC will make the car feel like it can actually get out of it's own way and increase your gas mileage.

The cheapest car you can find that runs well. I hate to say it but you don't need longevity out of a first car. Most male drivers will get stupid within the first year or two of owning a car and the car will not survive (hopefully the driver does). That means many first cars die a horrible death in about 10 - 12 months give or take. The faster the car the worse things end. So the smallest engine possible is a plus, and enjoy decent gas mileage while you have it.

Answer this brief questionaire and I will find you your perfect car.

How much do you plan to spend?

Top 3 color preferences?

AWD or FWD? (RWD was removed due to your post)

Will the car see any type of drag racing or auto x?

How many miles do you drive a week?

Manual or auto?

Please list the below in order from most want to do not want.

4 door, hatch, coupe, convertible, suv, hybrid, truck, semi, spaceship

Do you plan on modding the car? If so what type of mods?

Do you want a car payment or to buy it up front?

Ideal milage?

List two of your dream cars.

List two practical cars that you like to give a good idea of what type of body style you like.