Professional tilers- questions

mrs.cos

I'm tiling my kitchen this weekend. Current t flooring is shitacular .25 centsqft vinyl.

While I am putting down hardibacker after I rip out the vinyl, I am now reading some forums saying I need thinset under the cement board, this seems excessive to me considering the amount of screwing that is done to the backerboard. Am I wrong?

Also, how do I deal with tiling at my dishwasher?? ThT thing was barely squeezed in there, and, I dare to say, I'm sure at some point it wil need to come out again.

I have been reading about schluter ditra and really wish I could afford it instead of cement backer. Anyone have the hookup on that?

Last but not least, as I'm trying to do this with as little money as possible, anyone(west siders preferably) have a wet saw I could borrow, for two weeks?

I know HF has one for 44$ but if I can avoid buying, I will.

i did not do the quickset under the hardibacker, and it has been fine for 3 years, no cracks or anything.

you could tile up to your dishwasher, on my i made provisions for the tile, not sure in your case since it was not when it was put in there.

oh and buy the wet saw, its cheap and you will use it a lot.

I know it's cheap but I have a budget I'm working with. If I do t have to do the thi set under the hardibacker, I can likely swing it no problem. I am trying to get carpet and tiling done this week and next while Nathans out of town. I was given a budget, so I'm doing everything in my power to stay under it. :)

I dotn know if there is luan below (i would assume there is) the vinyl. Do i need to remove the luan too?

As far as the Dishwasher, the feet are as short as they will gow. :(

I know the saw is a must have, Im just looking to borrow one if someones got it, if i can. ;)

I am no pro, but I've done my share of tile around my house and I've always used thin set under the backer. It's what the manufacturer states as proper installation procedure in order to fully support the cement board and take up any air gaps that would flex and cause your tile to crack. My friend just squirts a small amount of liquid nails on the back instead, but there's no way I'm going to re-do parts of my floor just to skip such a simple step.

Ive laid lots of tiles, if you screw down your hardibacker and when you mud to lay your tile, I mud my joints heavy as I go and smooth it out, then back butter the tile and set it. Dont quite a few and talked to alot of installers about it. All I have talked to said enless your truly worried about give its not a necessary step. As for the saw, lowes carries some cheapies, around 50 bucks or so, they do a good job but its time consuming because they do not cut very quick but its easier to get the cut right. Lowes also will cut them for free, mark em on the back, only problem is the running, I would do all I can and map my cuts then while I was on the clock cut my own tile so i got paid twice for my work.

next advice do not tile in front of your dishwashter if its up against your countertop, problem results if you have to pull it it wont slide cause it lips on your tile edge, seen it more than one time, grab your hammer and tissue to wipe the tears cause it usually sucks. Like somebody stated, check your feet on it, you may be able to swing adjusting them up or down.

I know it's more expensive, but the Ditra is supposed to be the way to go. Much quicker/easier to install, and it's thinner than cement board. The fact that you might not have to reconfigure the dishwasher setup may also be worth the extra $$.

problem is, Ditra is 300$ for just my kitchen.. I would love to do ditra.. but its just too expensive.

well i just cut a piece of the vinyl up.. it appears to e luan under neath it.. I did get some good news though.. they did as crappy a job as they did buying it to lay it down, and its only glued around perimter.

I have never pulle dup luan. How hard is it to pull up?

I guess ill be doing thinset under the backerboard.

I dont want to have to make repairs.

I guess ill be forking out the dough for the saw. I was really hoping to borrow one, but oh well.

Dropped nathan off at the airport this morning :(

slept a little.. then got up and got to work

I decided to start on the easier side of the kitchen. See how things look.

So the vinyl wasnt glued down it looks like they attempted to do it right, but, thankfully for me, it didnt set properly.

So took me maybe 20 mins total to cut the silicon around the baseboard, yank it up and roll it for the trash. So now I am at the luan. Its nailed down (obviously) but its under the baseboards and the cabinets. how the heck do i pull it up?

http://www.thehaltermans.com/floor1.jpg

http://www.thehaltermans.com/floor2.jpg

http://www.thehaltermans.com/floor3.jpg

http://www.thehaltermans.com/floor4.jpg

http://www.thehaltermans.com/floor5.jpg

You are going to want to pull all the trim, as for the cabinets you will need to cut it with a dremel or something similar.

alll i can say to that is

)(#%)(%_)($#*()$#P)*(U#%*()ER()U)($%)(*$#%)(*$#@)(*$#@%(*&%$ #(&* #@*:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:(

well it turns out that they didnt nail the luan under the baseboards.. so i was able to rip out a section of it fairly easily with a prybar.

Now to figure out what to do around the cabinets.

A dremel seems like it would take forever, but I dont know what other tool to use to cut around the cabinets. I have a jigsaw but i dont think thats a good idea. ;)

Meh....just do the cabinets at the same time....i did and it makes this part of the process easier, lol.

have fun, i thought about doing my kitchen/bath tiling myself but when i found out how cheap i could have it done, i said F that and paid the man. Was done in 2 days and have had no issues in 4 years.

Meh....just do the cabinets at the same time....i did and it makes this part of the process easier, lol.

have fun, i thought about doing my kitchen/bath tiling myself but when i found out how cheap i could have it done, i said F that and paid the man. Was done in 2 days and have had no issues in 4 years.

Yah, i have a 400 dollar budget. No way in hell can i afford new cabinets. Besides my cabinets are nice (enough) for me.

Dremel or pull the cabinets out, which means taking the counter tops off.

Is it possible that the luan is not nailed under the cabinets either? Have you tried just pulling a small section out from under the cabinet?

Is that even luan? I was under the impression that luan was alot thinner than what is in the pics?

That looks like a different type of board.....but not sure why they put that down for linoleum I've just laid it on top of the plywood subfloor.

And yes to do tile RIGHT you need to pull the trim.

I am nto sure its luan either, its almost a pressed board, like thick cardboard.

its about a 1/4" thickness. I dotn know if its actually under the cabinets, as i havent got that far. my goal at this mometn is to prep. I can take my time with this, i have two weeks get it done.