Lets talk about racing

V8 Beast

Since we appear to not do it enough I wanted to talk about my car...

I'm guessing my car at this point makes 585rwhp/710rwtq. I have never fully sprayed on the dyno so as you can see I'm guessing. The estimate is based on a calculation between the numbers on motor and the numbers on a small shot (both done at dynotune). I'm right at the production weight of around 3600, and suspension has been completely upgraded with UMI parts. To keep it comfortable as a DD I went with a 3600 stall and a mid size cam.

My best time to date in a straight line is 10.72 @ 128. It was on a 92 degree day and trails prep was mediocre as it was towards the end of the rental. I did use the trans brake on the run but the dr's lost traction and it cut a 1.6 60'. Air to fuel was a little off but on the safe side so I have no plans of leaning it out any more. The best way to improve on that is more top end and traction.

Going into this year I have spent a little more on the car (as I haven't since the roll bar install) but the budget was only $750. I plan to start running the slicks again so I can spray off the line, while the car should make about 20 more rwhp putting me around 600 when I get done. Roughly 30-40 pounds have been removed from the nose of the car and about 30 from the mid and rear. Nothing major but every little bit helps. With good prep I should be able to easily beat my PB, and possibly reach my goal of 10.4..

Thanks for reading my random car blog (which is still a little gay but better than trolling)

My car did better then I thought it would last year. Ended up going 2-3 tenths quicker then my original goals. So since it runs 11s on motor and 10s on spray I have no real desire to make it any faster. I still want to do stuff to the car but I haven't come up with anything I can get fired up about.

In the mean time I'll have some fun just the way it is, it'll still beat most of CR. Unfortunatly there are only a few guys who run close to me so any real heads-up stuff at these track days never happens.

Well, as of this afternoon, I now know that a 120k 89 5.0 with highway gears is sloooowwwwww.

It will not be racing. :)

Sounds like modding time for you.

and you'll have to change your info, I thought you sold the snail. I did notice that before you said that you had the BMW, and I was confused.

Since we appear to not do it enough I wanted to talk about my car...

I'm guessing the internals for the motor are modded too. Nice times, from the few pics I've seen I wouldn't have guessed it was that quick.

My original plan was to buy a different Bimmer, do a 5.0 swap and rag it out this year. I picked up this one for a great deal, so I'm gonna skit the swap for now. While the car isn't perfectly suited for Drag Racing, there are a few mods (specifically to the rear suspension) that I'm gonna do to help it out. LSD, diff brace, and subframe braces. It's gonna need a clutch and flywheel as I doubt whats in there will hold. As far as power adders, I'm gonna do headers, exhaust, S52 (M3's) regrinds, different Intake manifold, a tune and a healthy dose of nitrous.

The more I look at the car I keep thinking Triple Threat. Be able to run at the drag strip, Road Course/Auto-X, and Mile runs. For times I'd like to see low 12's-high 11's. While keeping it fully streetable.

V8 Beast, post some pics. I think I've see your car once before in person (Silver T/A)?

I'm not building much right now, just been to damn busy. I'll get back to the bike before to long....another car would just sit in the garage right now also...

As of right now, I haven't touched the car over the winter. Still sits in the same trim it was in at the last track day when it ran a PB of 11.03@129.52mph. I have had i on the dyno twice(2007) it made 530rwhp & 513rwtq with a mail order tune. The car weighs 3925lbs with me in it.

I run a points series (bracket racing) with the Mid Ohio Ford Club and we have 7 point races through out the year. 6 races at Pacemakers and 1 at National Trails. Last year I finished 2nd in points and missed 1 race. This year I plan to make all the races and hopefully win the points championship!

Currently I am looking at roll bars/roll cages. I can't weld and I don't want a hack job done on my car. I have a linelock in the box that needs installed. I still need to order a drive shaft loop and possibly a 2step for lauching. My first race is May 7th so I need to get on the ball.

Straight-line, my cars aren't anything special.

The STI is my best bet right now, but it's still just a mid 13 second car. The power is pretty much stock however. I do think it's about time to go Stage 2+ this year. I'd like it to be a mid 12 second car. I know that's slow by the standards of most of this board, but it's where the car will likely end up with my planned mods.

So a downpipe and a tune at a minimum. But I'm also thinking of headers and an up-pipe. That should get me north of 300awhp. I may do a pump and reworked injectors for some extra oomph, but that's up in the air at the moment.

The WRX is getting "more lightness" this year. At this point it might actually hang with the STI in a straight line. When (not if) the engine goes, I plan to bump it to 2.5L and give the heads a massage. The turbo will likely get an upgrade to something smallish and ball-bearing'd, along with a switch to an external wastegate and wider exhaust piping. At that point it'd definitely get the pump and injector treatment and Ethanol is a serious consideration. Once that's all done it'll probably be a low 12 to high 11 sec car in the 1/4.

But that's way down the road.

The spec.B is staying mostly stock. I bought it for comfort, not speed. So all it has to do is look good and ride well without boring me. It's likely going to stay a 14 sec car. I do need to get it tuned though. The stock tune is utter crap.

My car did better then I thought it would last year. Ended up going 2-3 tenths quicker then my original goals. So since it runs 11s on motor and 10s on spray I have no real desire to make it any faster. I still want to do stuff to the car but I haven't come up with anything I can get fired up about.

In the mean time I'll have some fun just the way it is, it'll still beat most of CR. Unfortunately there are only a few guys who run close to me so any real heads-up stuff at these track days never happens.

That has been me to a T over the last 2 years. My best time just happened. No planning, no recorded video... I got to the rental late, was pissed at my job, and had to borrow someones nitrous bottle. This year I got 3 bonus checks, and my tax return so putting a little into the car was in the cards. Especially since its time to change valve springs anyway.

Erik the internals are still stock. I've been waiting on it to die for the last 4 years but its still ticking. Last year it dynod the exact same number to the decimal point that it did 3 years ago.

V8 Beast, post some pics. I think I've see your car once before in person (Silver T/A)?

I'm not building much right now, just been to damn busy. I'll get back to the bike before to long....another car would just sit in the garage right now also...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/xxtheonlyxx/Transam6-12-09011-2.jpg

I do want to try out some turns again. I changed the alignment on the car once and it handled pretty well. It wasnt agile like a running back per se.. more like a lineman with nice footwork :lol:

4:10's are your friend and the cobra clutch pak kit while your at it..... Or leave the gears alone and call on3 :D

I vote for call on 3, or leave the car unmolested. I plan on digging into the BMW tuesday and getting it all smoothed out.

4:10's are your friend and the cobra clutch pak kit while your at it..... Or leave the gears alone and call on3 :D

I vote for call on 3, or leave the car unmolested. I plan on digging into the BMW tuesday and getting it all smoothed out.

I think if it was mine I'd do a cheap blower and 4:10s as not to molest it. Since a blower is a easy no cut bolt on.

Ha, I kind of dig having something that sounds fast. Like I told Dan, there's a neglected S10 here that can be reborn if I want to go fast again.

Or, I'll trade the stang for a 10 second Civic tomorrow. Ya just never know.

:cool:

Ha, I kind of dig having something that sounds fast. Like I told Dan, there's a neglected S10 here that can be reborn if I want to go fast again.

Or, I'll trade the stang for a 10 second Civic tomorrow. Ya just never know.

:cool:

Interesting. You went from an impractical BMW to an impractical Mustang.

:bangbang:

KillJoy

Blah, blah, blah. This has back seats. Take that.

:)

BTW, your red Corvette is rewired and holding a charge much better these days.

Lol and Great to hear! Can it finally do a burnout? God knows Vettes suck at that!!!

:bangbang:

KillJoy