Nelson Ledges June Track Day

theweiser1

Question - Looking at the Lotus/Caterham 7 - are race tires/race prepped cars permitted? I may be able to make this - but the Cheverra will (probably) not be back to full "street legal" status by then.

Just thinking to see what I would need to do to have it in an "acceptable" level of trim to participate!

can't imagine why any organization would disallow them...they're safer with roll cages, proper seats and harnesses........I wouldn't recommend at all a beginner go out on race rubber....they give minimal warning when they get overwhelmed and lose grip

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobra brakes front and rear, springs/shocks/camber plates, and wheels and tires. Brakes are the most needed, they we're really overwhelmed at VIR.

Nelson doesn't require the same level of braking as VIR. In fact if you're doing it right, there are really only two hard braking areas - turn 5 (Oak Tree-the left hander leading to the Carousel) and turn 12 (again a left hander, hmmm, before the right hander onto the front straight).

Yes, there are some other places where you need a tap to settle the car, but your not really on them hard or long except in those two spots.

Again, this is in an IT car w/DOT race tires....

Does Nelson still stick an instructor in the car for the group C drivers? Just curious since I have heard they are very lax on rules and what not, I assume they wouldn't slam people onto the track without some sort of instruction of track ettiquette?

-Crossle

Does Nelson still stick an instructor in the car for the group C drivers? Just curious since I have heard they are very lax on rules and what not, I assume they wouldn't slam people onto the track without some sort of instruction of track ettiquette?

-Crossle

They don't require you have an instructor in group C. For about 30 min before any of the groups go out on the track they go over track etiquette and the rules. If you would still like someone to go out with you im sure we can find someone to ride you.

Last year we had 18 people in group C. Of those 80% had never been on a track before. We didn't have anyone go off track or anyone leave with damage, again in group C. I was in group C last year. To be honest, if you just take it easy and relax and drive within your limits you will be fine. Your only allowed to pass in 2 places. The back stretch and the front stretch.

PM me for more info. I can find someone to ride with you. We had a few instructors there last year.

I want an instructor....

don t want to waste my precious track time by not learning properly

how many groups are there? can you break em down/explain them in terms of skill level?

thanks

There will be 3 groups like last year. A, B, C. A group is for drivers with an SCCA license or 10 or more track days. Group B is drivers between 4 -10 track days and also depends on the car they are driving. Group C is drivers with 0-3 track days and car type. As with all groups we evaluate the car and driver.

To be honest we are flexible. We had a few drivers that wanted to move up or down a group and we moved them. Also if your assigned to group B and the staff at nelson determines that your holding up drivers or you should be running in group C then they will bump you down a group. Same goes if your a C group driver and you need bumped up to B group.

The goal is to give every paying driver the most enjoyable track time as we can being as safe as possible.

They don't require you have an instructor in group C. For about 30 min before any of the groups go out on the track they go over track etiquette and the rules. If you would still like someone to go out with you im sure we can find someone to ride you.

PM me for more info. I can find someone to ride with you. We had a few instructors there last year.

If you can have someone in the car "if you want" and they aren't assigned by the track I'll just ask my Dad to do it considering his "relatively" extensive experience.

I want an instructor....

don t want to waste my precious track time by not learning properly

Agreed, especially considering it would be my first track day. Rich, you realize that Craig71188 is my Dad and was your "novice day" autocross instructor back when you had the Jetta? You may know, but just wanted to check lol. He may be willing to ride a session as an instructor possibly if you ask....that's if he is going.

I

Awesome! ... I will tell you this. My cousin as a 95 gt ... he went with the Cobra front brakes. Thought they were awesome. Then he rode with me the last session at nelson last year and wished he would have went with the brembo's. I put a set of brembos on the front last year before the event. Even rigged up cooling ducts. Under hard braking in the back stretch going from about 120+ to about 80 or even down to 60 they felt awesome. Never faded just insane grip. That being said my cousins 95 with the cobra brakes did very well. He did not have cooling ducts and said they never really faded through out the 20 min sessions. So they are good choice as well if you can't get a hold of some brembos.

http://www.torquedfords.com/mustang-custom-brake-cooling-ducts-under-100/

Trust me, I'd prefer the brembos but for a lot less than a front set of brembos I can run cobra brakes front and rear as I already have ducts for the stock brakes. Plus, brembos only on front would put way too much bias up front, need to keep it balanced and I can swap the slightly bigger stuff from an older cobra.

Craig, I won't be running just nelson, planning on going back to vir or headed to road america this year.

If you can have someone in the car "if you want" and they aren't assigned by the track I'll just ask my Dad to do it considering his "relatively" extensive experience.

Agreed, especially considering it would be my first track day. Rich, you realize that Craig71188 is my Dad and was your "novice day" autocross instructor back when you had the Jetta? You may know, but just wanted to check lol. He may be willing to ride a session as an instructor possibly if you ask....that's if he is going.

Rich/Sean,

I have PM'd w/Shawn and told him I may be available to instruct. Need to finish this project in Cleveland, finish up karts and look at my schedule. If at all possible, I am planning to go and instruct (and hopefully bring a car along as well).

yes,I realized that. thanks buddy!

Fuck I want to do this, but I feel like the Legacy would burn to the ground.

why would it?

Rich/Sean,

I have PM'd w/Shawn and told him I may be available to instruct. Need to finish this project in Cleveland, finish up karts and look at my schedule. If at all possible, I am planning to go and instruct (and hopefully bring a car along as well).

dibs!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2011/03/db7af12c64e4daca6845774cb67438d4/340x.gif

It's a subaru, they tend to catch fire at the track, just ask my old roommate, he had 2 brake fires on his wrx! The only subaru that can handle the track is the sti(which don't have brakes made by subaru) or a wrx with majorly upgraded brake system.

Meh, sounds like a ventilation issue more than anything......I mean obviously they are getting too hot for some reason. Solution....make sure they stay cooler. I mean unless I am missing something...

That's about it, ray had 2 fires on his brakes before having to add even higher temp pads, ducts, dot 4 fluid, and remove all the dust boots to keep it from happening again. If you go to a parts store and look at the brakes even on the new wrx, they're the same as almost all the base subarus dating back years. Can't do that when you add that much power.

Like craig mentioned, Nelson is pretty easy on brakes. Rally Pat, hard to say with an older car like that. Of course you don't have to go full tilt the whole time, racing is as much about making it to the finish sometimes as winning. I'd at least do a radiator flush and run some water wetter in it to help and go have some fun!

I was referring to the motors themselves. Without something like an aluminum radiator, they tend to run hot. Ask the rallycross guys what their car's temp gauge looks like after 1 run.

A little bit different environment. Solo & Rallycross are both lots of (relatively) slow speed hard accelerations. Road racing you still have hard acceleration, but more speed (and hence more airflow). Certainly you have to mind the gauges, but as Ben mentioned - driving style can acommodate a lot of "issues" without taking away from the fun. With Nelson being more of a momentum track - it can teach you to be smoother to go fast!