I need Air Tools.... what do I "need"...

KillJoy

1/4" ratchet

3/8" ratchet

3/8" Gun

1/2" Gun

I know it's 4, but those IMO are the "essentials" if I was working at home the 3 I would want in order are

1/2" Gun

3/8" gun

1/4" ratchet

That's the order of most/least used for me. If you get the new 3/8" gun from snap-on it almost provides enough torque to eliminate the 1/2" gun except for axles nuts, crank shaft pulley bolts, etc.. but at home I would use a breaker bar.

I usually don't need a cut off tool except when "fabricating", and most DIY garage people have an electric drill already. A blow gun is handy, but it's super cheap and wouldn't consider it a major expense like an air chuck.

your makita grinder kills the need for a cutoff tool. i say

1/2 impact

3/8 air ratchet

angle grinder(can double as a cutoff wheel with the right arbor)

you could probably get all 3 for 125 bux at harbor freight, lemme know when you wanna go and i'll show you which ones to get

ahh hell here's some links

1/2" http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-impact-wrench-2623.html

this has been our "shop gun" for the last year and a half with no issues

3/8" http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ratchets/3-8-eighth-inch-air-ratchet-wrench-47706.html

1/4" if you want it http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ratchets/1-4-quarter-inch-air-ratchet-wrench-34900.html

angle http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/grinders/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html

once again has seen shop use for the last year and half with no problems

A 1/2" impact for sure, I bet I use my 1/4" air ratchet, 3/8" air ratchet, and 3/8" impact about equally, but when I need an air hammer or cut off tool I'm so glad to have them. I'd suggest the 1/2" impact, 3/8" air ratchet, and cut off tools first, but plan on buying the others because once you have them you'll find more uses for them.

i've found the largest need for the air tools (for me, personally) is to remove lug nuts. if that's the case i don't even break out the air impact tools. 10 years ago i bought a $50 corded 1/2" electric impact driver from harbor freight. i've only had to change the magnetic brushes out once, but this thing has worked forever---i use it every time i have to take a wheel off. you can also use it to remove exhaust clamps, suspension bolts, etc. it won't fit into tight places, so i'd suggest getting all the impact tools mentioned above as well. its strong enough to remove all but the most stubborn lug nuts, and i've found you can even use it to put the lug nuts back on the car---once you get used to using it, you can pretty much get each lug nut to 100-110lb/ft of torque without even checking. i liked this thing so much, i bought a second one for absolutely no reason at all.

I only have 3 air tools, but it was a package set and they have been great.

1/2 impact

3/8 ratchet

hammer

But there are a small slew of other little attachments that are as handy

air chuck for tires

blow gun for cleaning (mine has an extend-able wand)

etc...

The neighborhood kids are always coming to me to fill bike tires, basketballs, etc... so I keep all the inflation tools handy in the tool box.

A portable air tank is a nice thing to have around too.

+1 to Derek's post except I would never buy less that the top of the line impact and you get what you pay for in that area. go either Mac snap on or I/R no other

+ 1. Once I can afford a MAC impact gun, that's what I am getting. I use Harbor Freight right now but a MAC will out perform anything out there with the same psi. I couldn't get a bolt loose while using a craftsman last year so we put the MAC on and kept the settings the same and it worked like a charm.

I want to echo several posts above...when I bought my 80gal stand-up compressor back in 2003, I also bought an "all-in-one" impact kit...both from Lowes.

The compressor has serviced me well in 3 different houses over the last 8 years. However, when I was rebuilding a rear axle for my older truck in FL, I couldn't get the leaf spring bolts off witht the 1/2" Impact gun. I went to Sears and bought one of their premium guns for $170. Went back to the bolt, and ripped it right off without a twitch from the gun. I was wide-eyed for a few minutes as this thing pulled apart nuts and bolts like butter. It was awesome.

Definitely, DEFINITELY spend the right money getting at LEAST the Impact gun. I still use the air ratchet and air hammer I got from Lowes with no problem (I mean, what's to an air hammer? Harbor Frieght will be fine), but I swear by my Sears gun.

I have all my air tools and they work great for the nuts and bolts that wont come loose at all. But my everyday goto tool is actually my SnapOn cordless impact, it will take off lug nuts and use it for an entire engine disassembly. It has all the power needed for most applications.

3/8 ratchets are certainly not pointless. I use mine very regularly at work. Im kinda suprised no one has added an air hammer to this list. That's one of my favorite tools ever.

I turned a wrench for a living for about 8 years at a dealership flatrate. If a 3/8 gun did not fit it then I used a 1/4" air ratchet. If you buy a quality 1/4" air ratchet it is as strong as a mid grade 3/8 ratchet but fits in tight spots. I did work for vw though were there are a shit ton of 8 and 10mm fasteners so I did not work on trucks or domestic stuff where there is alot more room for a large ratchet.