Looking for Work - Bachelors in Finance

Bam

Just branching out a bit more, and figured I'd post here in case anyone knew of anything.

Just graduated w/ a degree in financial management and looking to start a career.

Anything related to finance or business preferred, but feel free to post/PM me anything.

Much appreciated,

Matt

Check Chase or another bank for entry level positions. Did you graduate from OSU? If so, use their career services center.

Done and done. Been interviewing this week and still have a few more tomorrow and next week.

Graduated from Franklin and have looked into the career help center.

Appreciate it, just looking go see what else is out beyond the typical retail branch positions.

Check out the employment sites (careerbuilder.com, monster.com, etc...) and sort for positions requiring a degree.

http://jobs.brassring.com/en/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?SID=^GSTi7NPbO1lJQeqfJshTsrZZBQavtnOc2L2Dy/AB9EStGuinRwsfLw==&jobId=570775&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=151&JobSiteId=20&JobSiteInfo=570775_20&GQId=0

I really liked the finance people at Mac, with only a few exceptions. Following Stanley's acquisition/merger of/with Black and Decker, there are a million places you can move on to following a year or two of good work.

I too am looking for work with a similar degree. I am currently employed with Huntington with 1 year of operations experience. As 06busa has said, it seems like until you reach 3 years experience, most moves are lateral.

I have applied for 2 positions that require high school diploma and 1-3 years experience and gotten denied for lack of experience! REALLY? Unless they had candidates with more experience AND a degree, I think its ridiculous that my degree wouldn't make up for the experience.

You need to look around more, as do I. We can do a lot with these degrees, it just takes time looking. I am going to apply for a personal banker position at Huntington and then branch out to all other companies.

• 4 weeks later...
You won't get far into Finance without acquiring certifications. Start looking into those now. Series 3, 6, 7, CFP certification.

This is good advice along with what you are already doing by applying at Chase. There is a very specific career path up through the branch and into other areas of the business at Chase. You can work your way up pretty quick in the branch system and being a branch manager is really cool because it's like running your own business. It also gives you experience with a broad range of services and you can jump to a non-branch area pretty easy. If you have the degree, certs, plus ground-level experience from the branch perspective...you will earn a lot of respect in interviews for higher-level jobs in any financial services specialty. They love to see that.

Avoid Chase if you want a job that will pay for the degree you have! Once you are in at the entry level job they still consider everything a lateral move.

true story, careful when applying to chase for any entry level position. When I worked there i was side by side with plenty of college graduate's and they didnt really reward you for education, but they hold experience in pretty high regard. Also, most moves after you get into the company will be almost lateral, not much in a pay raise and if your hoping to make more via pay raises while staying in the same position dont, the max annual raise is like 3% so the only way to make more is to transfer to a better job.