looking for a new ride, have questions about audi,ford, ect.

OGRE

Looking for a family vehicle under $10K with either 4wd or AWD.

prefer not much over 100k or less.

I keep seeing audi A4 & A6's around 2003-ish for about 7-8 grand and want to know what are the inherent problems, how reliable they are up to 200k. Some of these are only about 80k on the clock at this price. Which is better as far as being trouble free, the turbo 4 or the v-6?

see a few 2003-2005 explorers and mountaineers, i have an expedition and mechanically can't complain, but what are some of the problems with the smaller truck, i do know they like to eat wheelbears, so i've heard.

subaru forresters, legacy, imprezza ect. N/A 2.5L cars? i've heard they have head gasket issues, but people love them in the winter, any input would be great.

Any other suggestions that fit in the 4 door, AWD/4wd, under $10k catagory would be helpful.

I'm leaning toward a CR-V but they are too dame expensive looking at $11k for a 03 with like 120,000 on the odometer is high to me. and automatic 4wd i do not like, by the time your in trouble and the 4wd kicks in it's too late.

As faras the 1.8t goes make sure there are documented oil changes, sludge from 10k intervals with Dino oil. Most will say v6 is more reliable but there is less room in the bay to work on them. If you want to mod its 1.8t only. If you are doing auto then 3.0 only. 1.8t is deathly slow with auto.

Coil pack issues window regulator issues and sludge issues.

Ps make sure timing belt has been done.

I'm just going to go ahead and advise the Ogre avoid Audi all together.

Stick to the explorers, parts are 99cents and they are common enough to find spare engines in every wrecking yard.

is this sarcasm? i was hoping you would reply:) I'm looking for a vehicle to putt 100K miles on without major repair and not have to worry about taking my wifes truck in bad weather; not drag racing ogre style.

I'm just going to go ahead and advise the Ogre avoid Audi all together.

Stick to the explorers, parts are 99cents and they are common enough to find spare engines in every wrecking yard.

agreed he will probly spend more on maintenace/repairs than the car after a while. Which I don't mind on my audis but I also save more than 50% doing the work myself and getting discounted oem parts.

Joe

really? wow, i thought being german they would be damn near bulletproof.

Meh, it's hit or miss with any higher mileage car. Just need to find that one that's been taken care of. Depending on what goes wrong and needs replaced, generally the Audi is going to cost you more in parts and labor. Totally worth it IMO.

I vote Audi, but just make sure to change timing stuff every 60,000 miles, and oil changes 4-5with 0-40 euro. If you get the oil change stuff when on sale for 19-25 for the oil and filter stock up when the sale is.

I vote Audi, but just make sure to change timing stuff every 60,000 miles, and oil changes 4-5with 0-40 euro. If you get the oil change stuff when on sale for 19-25 for the oil and filter stock up when the sale is.

no mobil 1? went to audi site and they had a thread for that generation typical issues, holy crap lol. yeah i'm not that patient.

is this sarcasm? i was hoping you would reply:) I'm looking for a vehicle to putt 100K miles on without major repair and not have to worry about taking my wifes truck in bad weather; not drag racing ogre style.

No sarcasm at all.

Euro cars are not for everyone. You really have to appreciate the car to feel like spending the money necessary at times. If it's just a form of basic transportation you'll hate life when something breaks and really have a bad taste in your mouth.

No sarcasm at all.

Euro cars are not for everyone. You really have to appreciate the car to feel like spending the money necessary at times. If it's just a form of basic transportation you'll hate life when something breaks and really have a bad taste in your mouth.

If you dont got the heart for VAG cars, Run AWAY:cool:

I have an 02 explorer with 230,000 miles V6. Only major issue i have had is that the rear tow links (kinda like tie-rods for the rear diff) are worn down and at the moment Ford doesnt have any in-stock as they are on back order.

Besides that the Exploder has been good and I still use it as the daily and will until the wheels fall off.

IF some rumors are true, i might be heading to florida for a week this month, the possibilities are endless, big SUV's are cheap and diesel trucks.

saw a couple CLEAN police interceptors with 60-80k on them for under 5k.

question for anyone . . how reliable are SRT-4's?