Help Me Decide: GT-R vs. Z06

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

65-85ish I think he said. And at that price point, it's such a heavily contested Luxury/Performance market really. I don't think he'd be disappointed either way.

Exactly....but my point is where are GT's in that price range price range ?

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/108300/5425.jpg

IMO ^^^^ is HOT! I wish they were in that price range as honestly, while I've never driven one, it would be 10x cooler to have as a weekend car than a ZO6 or even a ZR1. That's just me.

IMO ^^^^ is HOT! I wish they were in that price range as honestly, while I've never driven one, it would be 10x cooler to have as a weekend car than a ZO6 or even a ZR1. That's just me.

No idea. Tijuana maybe? Police Auction?

They still fetch upward of $130K. I guess the Viper was already mentioned aswell, since it's within that region of $$$$. I think both cars are awesome, but bang for buck is obvious with the Z06. I can assume it's better on fuel vs the GTR aswell.

Went to look at both today. Looked at a super silver 2009 GT-R and a 2006 black Z06. Neither dealership was open, so wasn't able to test drive them. The asking price for the GT-R is $69K and the asking price for the Z06 is $48K. The GT-R has about 28k miles and the Z06 has about 14k miles. Here's my first impression: I'm kind of blown away by how much more the GT-R is than the Z06. Granted, I know, it's not really and apples-to-apples comparison (and probably could never be?), but still it was something that made me take immediate notice.

Here's my second impression: the GT-R seems like a huge car. Like it's just a lot of bigness. It's long. It's wide. The front end goes on forever. The ass end goes on forever. I found myself wondering if I'd become annoyed with how big the car is.

In comparison, wow, the Z06 just seemed so much smaller, so much more compact, so much more...pleasing. Where I wondered if the GT-R was too big, I found myself thinking the Z06 seemed the perfect size.

I'm planning on test driving both and I'll hold off on passing the ultimate judgment until then. However, I have to admit, just going and standing next to both of them puts the Z06 way ahead of the GT-R in my book.

Well from a performance standpoint, they both deliver and hell, even minor mods change the pecking order. Now if you like to get crazy on the street quite often, you'll enjoy the AWD launch more than trying to hook a Z06 from a light or having to focus as much at controlling it on the highway.

You sounded as if 99% of the time you'll be on the street vs track so Style really comes into play quite often. I see far fewer Z06's than plain C6's so while it's not as unique as the GTR, it's a classy unique. I did the style vs the more obnoxious "come look at me I'm different" style the GTR brings to the picture.

It's just me but I think the style of a Vette is way more timeless. The GTR is going to get old in terms of how it looks in a few years. I mean when I see a Z06 it really doesn't matter what year it is. It's classy sex. I don't see that with many imports coming from Japan. Germany yes, but not Japan. What are you thoughts there?

Look at the style on the Vette. Just changing out the wheels and stance, which are very basic and simple, offers a ton of looks with relatively little to change out. The GTR Is almost too unique. I think it's much more difficult to make it even more unique without going to the ricer side.

I find myself having to talk myself into liking the way the GT-R looks. However, I don't have anything even resembling a second thought when contemplating the aesthetics of the Z06.

I was facing the same decision about 5 months ago. I did a lot of research on the GTR at Nagtroc.org. The service costs on the car are much higher than one would anticipate for a Nissan. A lot guys were paying $1800-$2000 for the 18,000 mile service which is basically changing the trans. and diff. fluids. If you change it yourself you can buy the fluids for around $750.00. The transmission can be problematic even in the 2010-11 models but it seems like they have worked out a lot of the bugs. If you don't modify the car Nissan certainly seems willing to replace the entire transmission when problems do arise. If you decide to modify and they deny you warranty work be prepared to shell out some serious coin to repair/replace. I prefer the GTR over the Z06 even with all of it's quirks and higher service costs. The Z06 would probably be a more reliable and cheaper car to maintain but the uniqueness, awd, and rear seating drew me towards the GTR. I came very close to buying a grey 2010 in December but ultimately decided to go a different route. You can't go wrong with either car. Hope all is well.

Matt, long time, buddy - hope things are well with you too. Thanks for the input - yeah, the maintenance is something that I'm starting to worry about when it comes to the GT-R.

Went to look at both today. Looked at a super silver 2009 GT-R and a 2006 black Z06. Neither dealership was open, so wasn't able to test drive them. The asking price for the GT-R is $69K and the asking price for the Z06 is $48K. The GT-R has about 28k miles and the Z06 has about 14k miles. Here's my first impression: I'm kind of blown away by how much more the GT-R is than the Z06. Granted, I know, it's not really and apples-to-apples comparison (and probably could never be?), but still it was something that made me take immediate notice.

Here's my second impression: the GT-R seems like a huge car. Like it's just a lot of bigness. It's long. It's wide. The front end goes on forever. The ass end goes on forever. I found myself wondering if I'd become annoyed with how big the car is.

In comparison, wow, the Z06 just seemed so much smaller, so much more compact, so much more...pleasing. Where I wondered if the GT-R was too big, I found myself thinking the Z06 seemed the perfect size.

I'm planning on test driving both and I'll hold off on passing the ultimate judgment until then. However, I have to admit, just going and standing next to both of them puts the Z06 way ahead of the GT-R in my book.

were they sitting next to each other? the few gtrs i have seen didnt seem big. Had one in our parking lot and seemed small actually. huge awe factor in the gtr and not so much in the z06.

Personally, I would go with the Z06 without a second glance. The GT-R to me is over priced for what it is. With the 'Vette, you get a nice level of class along with the outstanding performance and looks. I've also seen more GT-R's down on campus than I have Z06's, or even standard Corvettes.

I guess it goes without mentioning, you have a history with Corvettes. Is that something that should be easily cast aside?

Nope, my history with Corvettes is something that counts for a lot. And I'm now finding myself increasingly concerned with how much more the GT-R is. I would have to like the GT-R substantially more than a Z06 to justify paying $20k more for one, and at this point I don't like it any more than the Z06. If anything, I think I like it less.

were they sitting next to each other? the few gtrs i have seen didnt seem big. Had one in our parking lot and seemed small actually. huge awe factor in the gtr and not so much in the z06.

No, they weren't, so I wondered if I just thought the GT-R is bigger when, in actually, it isn't. Weird that you had the opposite reaction. Yeah, for me, the GT-R just seemed...too big? I dunno, maybe it was just an illusion.

http://www.vividracing.com/forums/gallery/files/5/5/4/3/FordGT794RGlossBlack1920a.jpg

Fucking gangsta, but out of my price range for what I want to purchase now. If I was looking into Ford GT's, then I'd also be looking into Lambos and GT2 and a bunch of exotics.

CTS-V. Man I missed posting that one. Sexy as fuck, rare and IMO more than worth any tradeoff in performance. It's not like it can't be made faster either.

CTS-V. My final answer.

Saw one of these today as well. Definitely cool, but just not my thing.

No, they weren't, so I wondered if I just thought the GT-R is bigger when, in actually, it isn't. Weird that you had the opposite reaction. Yeah, for me, the GT-R just seemed...too big? I dunno, maybe it was just an illusion.

the gtr looks to be 9 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and 4 inches taller. so, maybe it is big, just not compaired to normal trucks and 4 door cars.

the gtr looks to be 9 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and 4 inches taller. so, maybe it is big, just not compaired to normal trucks and 4 door cars.

Much easier than what you originally posted lol.

My vote is to get the Z06. Tried and true American horsepower, and I am not all that impressed by the GTR or its looks.

The asking price for the GT-R is $69K and the asking price for the Z06 is $48K.

At these price points, the Vette should be a clear winner. It screams the statement, "Just because you have it, why spend it?"

If you're looking at mods in the future what could you do for even half that difference?

Went to look at both today. Looked at a super silver 2009 GT-R and a 2006 black Z06. Neither dealership was open, so wasn't able to test drive them. The asking price for the GT-R is $69K and the asking price for the Z06 is $48K. The GT-R has about 28k miles and the Z06 has about 14k miles. Here's my first impression: I'm kind of blown away by how much more the GT-R is than the Z06.

unfortunately, that's what all GTR's are giong for. i've looked recently but steered clear (not a big enough back seat). they hold their value well, apparently. there are guys on corvetteforum who recently found brand new '09 z06's for $65k---that's a brand new car with a 5 year, 100k mile warranty that could (potentially) be serviced at any gm dealership. not sure if any '09's are left. parts on these cars aren't overly expensive and the aftermarket support is excellent. you can modify the car as far as you want ($10k for a blower, or h/c/i--600rwhp), or you can leave it bone stock and still beat supercars.

buy the GTR and you'd likely be forced to buy some sort of extended warranty. sure, you can mod the GTR as far as you want, and i'm sure there's an aftermarket following if parts break--but not nearly the same as the vette.

At these price points, the Vette should be a clear winner. It screams the statement, "Just because you have it, why spend it?"

If you're looking at mods in the future what could you do for even half that difference?

Excellent points all the way around.

there are guys on corvetteforum who recently found brand new '09 z06's for $65k---that's a brand new car with a 5 year, 100k mile warranty that could (potentially) be serviced at any gm dealership.

Yeah, the '06 Z06 that I looked at is certified: for the first year/12k miles it's fully covered and then the drivetrain is covered for an extra 5yrs/100k miles and can be serviced at any GM dealership. I thought that was impressive.

Went to look at both today. Looked at a super silver 2009 GT-R and a 2006 black Z06. Neither dealership was open, so wasn't able to test drive them. The asking price for the GT-R is $69K and the asking price for the Z06 is $48K. The GT-R has about 28k miles and the Z06 has about 14k miles. Here's my first impression: I'm kind of blown away by how much more the GT-R is than the Z06. Granted, I know, it's not really and apples-to-apples comparison (and probably could never be?), but still it was something that made me take immediate notice. .

Honestly, other than a test drive I wouldn't even consider that GT-R for that price. With those miles it should be in the $50k's for an 09. You can get cars 09-10 with under 10k miles for that price with zero haggling. Mid-low $60k's for a clean low mileage GT-R is pretty normal. I looked at a Red 2010 local to me with under 2k miles for $69k (it was Red though). I wouldn't buy the first model year of either personally...

It really depends what you are going to use the car for and how modded you plan to take it?

Then again, you may drive the GT-R and hate it. Have fun test driving both... :D