Help Me Decide: GT-R vs. Z06

Dr. Pomade

Why consider an M3 Coupe when you could have the CTS-V coupe?

Because it beat out the CTS-V Coupe and RS5 in a Car and Driver comparison. Say what you will, but the M3 and M5 are some of the most coveted "performance" cars by most expert reviewers.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/2011_audi_rs5_vs._2010_bmw_m3_2011_cadillac_cts-v-comparison_tests

Would I buy one though? Probably not, I like Audi's styling more. But I'd certainly take it for a test drive and give it the benefit of the doubt if I found myself in this same situation.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had my buddy over yesterday to change the winter wheels off his S5 (he drives it all winter long here in wisconsin). took him for a spin in the vette, and he just about shit his pants. he actually lurched forward to grab the door/dash for support. its still a bit cold here, and the car was spinning at 80mph in second gear. he can't possibly imagine why i would have the need to add more power to the car. for the price of a used GTR, you can buy a brand new Z. mine is a 3LZ optioned car with heated/cooled seats, leather wrapped interior---actually looks pretty nice for a gov't sponsored car.

for the price of a used GTR, you can buy a brand new Z. mine is a 3LZ optioned car with heated/cooled seats, leather wrapped interior---actually looks pretty nice for a gov't sponsored car.

You are still talking over $10k+ difference, a 1LZ is $66k and a 3LZ is $72k...

You are still talking over $10k+ difference, a 1LZ is $66k and a 3LZ is $72k...

that's $6k difference. not sure what my wife paid for my vette, but i'm sure it was probably well over $72k. oh well, i've been fully happy with the car---except for locking myself into the car with a dead battery and not being able to immediately get out of it---at least i didn't call 911 to get out

Revised to-drive list:

1. C6 Z06

2. GT-R

3. Porsche 911 Turbo

4. M3

5. Viper

I think I'll cap the list at those five. If weather wasn't so shitty right now, I'd be temped to head a dealership right now.

Quit being a chode and get a lambo.

Revised to-drive list:

1. C6 Z06

2. GT-R

3. Porsche 911 Turbo

4. M3

5. Viper

I think I'll cap the list at those five. If weather wasn't so shitty right now, I'd be temped to head a dealership right now.

Ok, tell me again (cliffs version) with what YOU want this car to be for you.

Also-

Will it be a DD?

Do you have another ""work" driver?

Winter car?

Do you care about being "noticed", or does performance trump the pussy magnet?

JP, here are the c/n: I want a fast, refined car that I don't have to modify in order to enjoy thoroughly.

No, my plans are that it won't be a DD. Yes, I will have another work/winter car.

Great question about substance (performance) versus style (pussy magnetism). Both definitely count, though I'd probably rank style a bit above performance. Meaning, if you asked me - would you rather have a good looking car that was slower or a less-good looking car that was faster, which would you chose? I'd chose the good looking car that was less fast.

This is where the GT-R is losing points for me. I just don't like the way it looks as much as a Vette, a Porsche, a Viper, or even the M3. Not that the GT-R isn't a nice looking car, I just don't think it's as good looking as the others.

So, I just thought of some of the things that will matter to me in terms of this next car:

Performance - 1/4 mile time, 0-60, track abilities

Looks - subjective aesthetic appeal

Price Tag - the lower the cost the better

Maintenance - expected upkeep, reputation for being costly

Insurance - amount to insure on a yearly basis, on average

Resale value - what I can expect to get out of the car in, say, four to five years

And here's how I'd rank those things in terms of importance for me with respect to the car:

Looks - most important factor to me; 10 out of 10 on scale of importance

Performance - 8 out of 10 on scale of importance

Price Tage - 7 out of 10 on importance scale

Resale - 6 out of 10 on importance scale

Insurance - 5 out of 10 on importance scale

Maintenance - 3 out of 10 on importance scale

So, for instance, while Looks is the most important factor, it's not exceedingly more important than the Price Tag, which could be the undoing of a car in my analysis. A perfect example of this would be a Murcielago - great in Looks, but waaaaay too expensive.

While I was originally saying GTR, with all the swaying factors you keep listing leaning towards the Z, I can't help but change my vote. You think its sexier, it is more recognizable as sexier from non-car folks, is less expensive all-around (upfront purchase, maintenance, parts), and is superbly capable all around performance wise bone-stock, and if desired has tons of mod potential. Z06.

Revised to-drive list:

1. C6 Z06

2. GT-R

3. Porsche 911 Turbo

4. M3

5. Viper

2 / 5

:thumbup:

KillJoy