Help Me Decide: GT-R vs. Z06

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a BIG price difference between a 997 Turbo and a C6 Z06. Like, the oldest 997 Turbo (2007) with some miles MIGHT be found for the price of a brand new Z06. Of course that 997 makes less power, weighs 300lbs more, costs more to mod/repair/insure, is slower around a road course, etc.

It's not always about who is a split second faster than the other. It's about which car you enjoy the most. If you're going to throw down some money, you might as well throw down enough to be happy with what you got. No point in trying to save some cash here and there and ending up not being as happy as you could have been. I didn't see any mention of this being a dedicated track car, if it's going to be a street car, might as well surround yourself with a nice, quality interior. Not that the C6 has a bad interior, it's just not as nice as a Porsche's. BUT that is quite the big price difference in this case.

Don't want anything like this to happen...

http://jalopnik.com/#!5791811/corvette-zr1-owner-calls-911-after-locking-himself-in-car

Just go with the best...

http://www.wheelsbuyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/997-turbo-360-forged-wheels.jpg

http://fancytuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mansory-porsche-997-turbo-3.jpg

You seem like a classy, sophisticated dude. You don't want to look like a noob do you?

This ^^

It's also great for running errands like dropping off your kids, according to their new ad campaign. Who needs a fucking mini-van these days when you could have a perfectly capable kid-hauler such as a 911 Turbo.

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011/03/porsche-ad-schoolbus-623x389.jpg

...and this ^^

why not a factory five gtm??? Probalby close to the same comfort as a z06 if not better and the same powertrain. Also stands out in a crowd and at least in my eye makes you seem like you know a lot more than the average joe about car selection

I was dropping the SS off for a warranty repair once and saw a C6 being dropped off with that same issue. I was amused watching them get in and out of the car to move it.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5619836806_a1d6da3a16_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5619248507_226f6d2f2d_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5146/5619254547_cecbeb125c_z.jpg

:)

I much prefer the stock wheels to those, though.

Thanks for posting the pics, nonetheless. :cool:

And I think a Porsche would be a no-go. Too much money for not being in love with them. Of course, haven't ever driven one, so maybe I shouldn't pass judgment too quickly.

Word of warning....don't drive it, unless you're ready to buy it.....because after you drive it, you probably will want to :D

I love the USA just as much as the next guy, but there is something about German Engineering that is hard to resist.....just a fair warning now

Word of warning....don't drive it, unless you're ready to buy it.....because after you drive it, you probably will want to :D

I love the USA just as much as the next guy, but there is something about German Engineering that is hard to resist.....just a fair warning now

I like this guy.

To drive list:

1. C6 Z06

2. GT-R

3. Porsche (911 Turbo?)

4. M3?

To me the M3 is kind of...meh...

It's styling doesn't get me overly excited (which is surprising because I like the 335i), it's performance is good, but everyone will think you're a prick. I park near one everyday at work, and at first I would glance at it but it didn't take long until I found it looking a bit bland.

You've said through 10 pages that you just really love the Z06, yet everyone just keeps throwing out other cars that THEY think you should want more. But you don't. Go drive them all, but it sounds like you've got your mind made up. My to drive list would be: C6 Z06, 911 Turbo, Mustang BOSS 302, GTR. I bring up the BOSS again because it seems like you have an affinity for loud muscle cars that can handle well. Something with soul.

why not a factory five gtm??? Probalby close to the same comfort as a z06 if not better and the same powertrain. Also stands out in a crowd and at least in my eye makes you seem like you know a lot more than the average joe about car selection

Hardly the same comfort as a factory c6 z06 have you heard the literally 2-3' long exhaust on that thing? and their resale is piss poor at best....

That said they are sweet and if I had bill gates like dollars I would buy one to build and play with- I actually looked at them hard before I got my c5z.. the kit claims you can build it for 40K but most guys that have built one have about 80K in them.

To the OP, take this with a grain of salt, but the one car people typically buy after selling their c5z and don't look back is the lotus elise. Don't ask me why I have never driven one but I read this all the time on corvette forum... a lot of guys will buy c6s or even c6 z06s and then either sell them after a short while and get a c5z again or keep them and add another c5z to the collection. I should probably drive one but I don't see me trading mine for that carbon fibered camry (joking doc ;-) ) any time soon- they say something about the c6 missing the raw spirit of the c5z that the lotus has? I hardly call my c5z raw but I will admit my dad's ls3 c6 does feel tame in comparison and it has more hp and only a little more weight.... it probably has something to do with the "tossability" of the elise as the corvette is sort of broad shouldered and daunting from the drivers seat... points to ponder

I wouldn't even look twice at the GTR- the ZR1 is pretty sweet but unless you are going to road race it competitively, or are making a collection of rare cars, I would just put a well-proven A&A or ECS blower kit on a nice low mileage c6z and pocket the 60 grand and smoke one at the drag strip if you could hook all that power... Actually a c6 z51 ls3 car with a blower is an even closer powerplant and would cost you another 10-15 less yet but I do like the body kit on the z06 and the weight reduction measures.

I won't touch the porsche/corvette/german/usa topic- been down that road too many times on here kickass;-)

I drove a few m3s I will +1 the meh- if I were to buy something german along those lines it would probably be a used amg sl55 or sl65 as that car is stunningly beautiful IMO...

That's my .10 cents.

Edited by hpfiend

To the OP, take this with a grain of salt, but the one car people typically buy after selling their c5z and don't look back is the lotus elise. Don't ask me why I have never driven one but I read this all the time on corvette forum... a lot of guys will buy c6s or even c6 z06s and then either sell them after a short while and get a c5z again or keep them and add another c5z to the collection.

I'm not a Vette guy, but what is the biggest difference between the C5Z and C6Z? Does the 5 have better street manners, or is it easier to drive? Or are they beating up the 5 and saving th 6?

I like this guy.

I like you. And Tilley. :cool:

-Marc

I like you. And Tilley. :cool:

-Marc

In a totally heterosexual way. Don't be a dick.

-Marc

In a totally heterosexual way. Don't be a dick.

-Marc

Seriously...get this guy the fuck outta here.

-Marc

Seriously...get this guy the fuck outta here.

-Marc

Annnnnd...you should buy the Vette. :)

-Marc

Edited by nurkvinny

Annnnnd...you should buy the Vette. :)

-Marc

Quadruple. Nice.

I suggested the M3 for a couple of reasons;

A. Almost everyone I know who has driven one considers it the gold standard for performance coupes, as close to the perfect "Drivers' car" as you can get for the price point.

B. You can get one with tons of different options. SMG, Manual, or Auto, lots of color combos, yada yada...

C. In his price range, it can be had BRAND NEW, warranty and all. A lot of the other cars suggested would be purchased used.

D. It has a respectable aftermarket, if he decides he wants to go that route.

E. It is comfortable enough to do pretty much anything he wants to do with it.

I cannot speak to the stylishness quotient. In my opinion, they look sexy, but only he can decide if he likes the looks of it.

If you are looking for someone to "talk you out of" a vette, my opinion is that vette drivers have a certain stereotype, and none of them fits you very well. You are educated, affluent, have a full head of hair, and are under 40 years old* (Vette guys, hate all you want, but you know I speak the truth) and honestly, there are tons of them on the road. Nothing about a vette is unique.

Of the original two, I would have gone GT-R.

*-I did not create the stereotype, I am merely aware of it. In much the same way that I am aware of the widely held opinion that no man that drives a "new" VW Beetle is anything but a tree-hugging, candyland skipping, friend of Dorothy. Of course, not ALL of them are, but really, is that something that you would knowingly embrace?

Has anyone suggested a brand new completely loaded M3 coupe? Just a thought.

Why consider an M3 Coupe when you could have the CTS-V coupe?

I'm not a Vette guy, but what is the biggest difference between the C5Z and C6Z? Does the 5 have better street manners, or is it easier to drive? Or are they beating up the 5 and saving th 6?

Everything is different. Chassis, motor, body, interior - C5 Vette is the 97-04 cars, C6 is 05+.