Panel style interview on Thursday! Help!

Aaron

I have an interview on Thursday. It is a panel style interview with 5 people interviewing me!!!!!

I don't usually get this nervous but I am shitting my pants for some reason.

What can I expect? This will be my first panel type interview?

I envision an empty room, a straight desk with the 5 sitting there, and a single chair in the middle of the room. lol Kind of like Ben Affleck in Good Will Hunting, but with me crying instead of asking for a retainer! http://tracymueller.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ben-affleck-good-will-hunting-job-interview-300x225.jpg

Any thoughts? What can I expect?

Never done anything like that, but who cares? I mean all you can do is go in with a smile and a good attitude, and just see what happens. You never struck me as the type that would be very nervous. Hell I bet you'll still be the biggest guy in the room, and I also bet it goes well.

Never done anything like that, but who cares? I mean all you can do is go in with a smile and a good attitude, and just see what happens. You never struck me as the type that would be very nervous. Hell I bet you'll still be the biggest guy in the room, and I also bet it goes well.

I know there isn't much I can do differently. Just wondering how people reacted to them or if they too shit their pants.

Thanks for the words though, they are appreciated.

I've had a panel style interview before myself. They can really get your nerves going, man, you need to relax though. Here's the deal with interviews like this: the likelihood of everyone wanting to hire you is slim. Someone is bound to not like the way you come off. You should be able to identify the people you are meshing with quickly, when you do, tailor yourself a little more to spark up something with them, get them engaged. Pick that person(s) you are identifying well with and when you are responding to questions look toward them for the majority of the time if it makes you feel more comfortable. However, do try to address everyone.

When I've dealt with similar situations I do the obvious: learn about the company, get a good nights rest and a good meal, a haircut, and practice slangin' bs. I would suggest writing 5 questions to ask them, as well, don't let them do all the talking. When they ask "do you have any questions for us?" hit'em.

So, where you interviewing bruh?

Prep for typical interview questions. Look online for interview questions and review them all. Have an answer for everything. They will hit you with a barrage of questions, don't get caught flat footed. If you aren't prepared, they will see it a mile away.

I have had several interviews like this. Some good, some bad. The better ones were where I actually wanted the job and preped well for it.

I've had a panel style interview before myself. They can really get your nerves going, man, you need to relax though. Here's the deal with interviews like this: the likelihood of everyone wanting to hire you is slim. Someone is bound to not like the way you come off. You should be able to identify the people you are meshing with quickly, when you do, tailor yourself a little more to spark up something with them, get them engaged. Pick that person(s) you are identifying well with and when you are responding to questions look toward them for the majority of the time if it makes you feel more comfortable. However, do try to address everyone.

When I've dealt with similar situations I do the obvious: learn about the company, get a good nights rest and a good meal, a haircut, and practice slangin' bs. I would suggest writing 5 questions to ask them, as well, don't let them do all the talking. When they ask "do you have any questions for us?" hit'em.

So, where you interviewing bruh?

Thanks for the info. I will certainly do my homework on the job itself, ask questions, etc.

The job is within Huntington Bank. I work there now, so it is an internal posting.

My biggest annoyance is that I have to try to impress 5 people instead of 1. It will be difficult.

Troll did remind me of something. I'm not sure of the last time you interviewed but more businesses are beginning to use interview questions regarding how you handled certain situations. There is a term for this, I can't remember what's called. Anyway, they be like "Explain an instance where you had to analyze unknown data and how you handled doing so while short on time." They try to twist it up as much as possible too if they are real assholes, just to see how well you verbally comprehend complicated questions and statements.

Thanks for the info. I will certainly do my homework on the job itself, ask questions, etc.

The job is within Huntington Bank. I work there now, so it is an internal posting.

My biggest annoyance is that I have to try to impress 5 people instead of 1. It will be difficult.

Well, very nice man and good luck. I was kind of hoping you would say my company so I could get that phat bonus check :gabe:

I've been on both ends of the table. First time was when I interviewed with the company where I still work now and the second time was to help hire a few more people. As far as the panels that I have experienced, it's the same as being interviewed by a single person as far as the questions are concerned. We would each take a certain part of the interview and ask those questions to each candidate and depending on responses or random thoughts by the others on the panel, they may have follow up questions. Each person will pay attention to your answers and "grade" you based on them.

Be prepared for the usual character questions and make sure that you have examples to back up the answers. Example of that. Question asked is "Have you ever been involved in a situation where you felt like you knew more than your boss about something?" Have a reply with an example. More questions would be along the lines of strengths/weaknesses and ability to work as a team or an individual if need be. If you haven't prepared for these types of questions, do so now. I'll assume that this is for a job in your "field" so you should get these style of questions.

Don't try to impress with fakeness or lies. Be yourself and answer confidently. If they like you and you are a good fit you are in. If not, examine the interview and think of what you could have done better. I hope this isn't too much.

Prep for typical interview questions. Look online for interview questions and review them all. Have an answer for everything. They will hit you with a barrage of questions, don't get caught flat footed. If you aren't prepared, they will see it a mile away.

I have had several interviews like this. Some good, some bad. The better ones were where I actually wanted the job and preped well for it.

I certainly will prepare, as I do want this job.

Troll did remind me of something. I'm not sure of the last time you interviewed but more businesses are beginning to use interview questions regarding how you handled certain situations. There is a term for this, I can't remember what's called. Anyway, they be like "Explain an instance where you had to analyze unknown data and how you handled doing so while short on time." They try to twist it up as much as possible too if they are real assholes, just to see how well you verbally comprehend complicated questions and statements.

I think I could do something with that. Haven't ever done that, but we shall give it a whirl.

I had an interview like that for my current job. I had 4 people throwin random questions at me, guess I did well or my experience is good cuz I got hired the next day.

Cool. I am excited, but scared shitless!

Well, very nice man and good luck. I was kind of hoping you would say my company so I could get that phat bonus check :gabe:

haha. I wish I could help. I am in a good spot with Huntington. I want to explore my options here before I go elsewhere.

I certainly will prepare, as I do want this job.

I think I could do something with that. Haven't ever done that, but we shall give it a whirl.

Cool. I am excited, but scared shitless!

haha. I wish I could help. I am in a good spot with Huntington. I want to explore my options here before I go elsewhere.

You'll ace it brosef, and be on your way to B8 S4 purchase in no time.

Some really good advice in this thread (minus the one directly above). They only thing I can add is to echo the comment that you've got a lot of poise and you communicate well. I predict you will do fine. ;)

Thanks Doc. I appreciate it.

I've been on both ends of the table. First time was when I interviewed with the company where I still work now and the second time was to help hire a few more people. As far as the panels that I have experienced, it's the same as being interviewed by a single person as far as the questions are concerned. We would each take a certain part of the interview and ask those questions to each candidate and depending on responses or random thoughts by the others on the panel, they may have follow up questions. Each person will pay attention to your answers and "grade" you based on them.

Be prepared for the usual character questions and make sure that you have examples to back up the answers. Example of that. Question asked is "Have you ever been involved in a situation where you felt like you knew more than your boss about something?" Have a reply with an example. More questions would be along the lines of strengths/weaknesses and ability to work as a team or an individual if need be. If you haven't prepared for these types of questions, do so now. I'll assume that this is for a job in your "field" so you should get these style of questions.

Don't try to impress with fakeness or lies. Be yourself and answer confidently. If they like you and you are a good fit you are in. If not, examine the interview and think of what you could have done better. I hope this isn't too much.

The question about an instance where you knew more than your boss is an amazing question. I will have to figure that one out. I doubt the position I am applying for would ask that, but it will help in my preparation.

Thanks for the insight!

I'm not sure of the last time you interviewed but more businesses are beginning to use interview questions regarding how you handled certain situations. There is a term for this, I can't remember what's called. Anyway, they be like "Explain an instance where you had to analyze unknown data and how you handled doing so while short on time."

It's called 'behavioral interviewing'... they're looking to see if your style of problem solving meshes with that of the existing team.

As for panel interviews in general, I haven't had one like that since I applied to the Naval Academy, and I don't remember any of it besides chewing a Jolly Rancher (or was it a Jolly Roger) just before going in.

You'll ace it brosef, and be on your way to B8 S4 purchase in no time.

Thanks man. The good news is I am taking a half day on Thursday for the interview, and I am off on Friday!!!

I also should be getting my wheels tomorrow!

I was kidding.

I have no advice to offer, just my unwitty lack of humor.

As usual!

It's called 'behavioral interviewing'... they're looking to see if your style of problem solving meshes with that of the existing team.

As for panel interviews in general, I haven't had one like that since I applied to the Naval Academy, and I don't remember any of it besides chewing a Jolly Rancher (or was it a Jolly Roger) just before going in.

2 of the 5 people came from my department. One I saw daily, but never had much work interaction with, and I replaced the other. I have spoken to a 3rd individual on problems/concerns, so there should be a bit of familiarity, but nothing like a true friendship, or even a working relationship. Strictly the occasional necessity to talk on work matters. I guess it can only help though.

Don't worry about it being a panel interview. I've done a bunch of them (I have interviewed enough people to last me a lifetime). When I do panel interviews, some of my coworkers won't even speak, or only ask a single question. Sometimes the group will take turns asking questions.

Overall, it is no different than interview one person, except make a bit of eye contact with everyone in the group each time you answer the question. That said, if they are just asking you questions with you answering them, the interview is going badly. Take charge of the interview, be fresh and address things you feel would be questions they would ask. Make it conversational - interviewing a lot of people gets BORING. If you can break the boredom, that can move you up in the list even if your skill set isn't as strong as someone else.

Also, like any interview, come prepared. Know about the company you are interviewing with. How long they have been around, their Core Values, etc.

Don't worry about it being a panel interview. I've done a bunch of them (I have interviewed enough people to last me a lifetime). When I do panel interviews, some of my coworkers won't even speak, or only ask a single question. Sometimes the group will take turns asking questions.

Overall, it is no different than interview one person, except make a bit of eye contact with everyone in the group each time you answer the question. That said, if they are just asking you questions with you answering them, the interview is going badly. Take charge of the interview, be fresh and address things you feel would be questions they would ask. Make it conversational - interviewing a lot of people gets BORING. If you can break the boredom, that can move you up in the list even if your skill set isn't as strong as someone else.

Also, like any interview, come prepared. Know about the company you are interviewing with. How long they have been around, their Core Values, etc.

Care to elaborate on this part?

Care to elaborate on this part?

Group interviews are basically just sharing the job of just having a one-on-one interview. More people to chime in afterword and make a group decision. I've done them both ways, and I prefer doing a panel as I can bounce opinions off of others, and it is far easier to make a decision on someone.

One mistake I see a lot of people make is only speaking to the person that is asking a question to them. If that person is asking the majority of the questions, it seems like you are just ignoring the rest of the group (obviously a bad thing). No one likes being ignored.

Once you have performed a bunch of interviews, it sucks. I dread doing it - same bullshit, different person. Being fresh and original is key to being a success. I know I have changed how I would interview for a job after being on the other side of the table.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and DO NOT WAIT until they ask "do you have any questions." You should share who you are and your work experiences. You are going to be asked about strenghts/weaknesses - address that without being asked. If you know of technical aspects of the job they are interviewing for, discuss your experiences as they would likely to apply at the job at hand. You want to trigger questions from them that are off their normal "list" of questions. You don't have to be a charming, social butterfly. But being direct, professional, and taking charge of the interview is very refreshing.

Group interviews are basically just sharing the job of just having a one-on-one interview. More people to chime in afterword and make a group decision. I've done them both ways, and I prefer doing a panel as I can bounce opinions off of others, and it is far easier to make a decision on someone.

One mistake I see a lot of people make is only speaking to the person that is asking a question to them. If that person is asking the majority of the questions, it seems like you are just ignoring the rest of the group (obviously a bad thing). No one likes being ignored.

Once you have performed a bunch of interviews, it sucks. I dread doing it - same bullshit, different person. Being fresh and original is key to being a success. I know I have changed how I would interview for a job after being on the other side of the table.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and DO NOT WAIT until they ask "do you have any questions." You should share who you are and your work experiences. You are going to be asked about strenghts/weaknesses - address that without being asked. If you know of technical aspects of the job they are interviewing for, discuss your experiences as they would likely to apply at the job at hand. You want to trigger questions from them that are off their normal "list" of questions. You don't have to be a charming, social butterfly. But being direct, professional, and taking charge of the interview is very refreshing.

Thank you for your thoughts! This will really help me out!

I am looking forward to this, but still nervous.

I talked to my dad about panel interviews and he doesn't like performing them. He prefers a 1:1. As I suspected, its personal preference.