Stuck Torx Bolt On Rear Brakes!

Wease

It's not so much stuck, as the torx socket I'm using might just suck. I got the one off and the pin to remove the calipers. But I need to change rotors and the other two torx bolts, I just can't seem to get enough leverage, or get the torx socket to stay in there long enough to get them loose. :mad: Why the hell they used these things, I have no idea. You can't get enough grip to loosen them in this area!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get them out? I was thinking of jamming a good hex head socket in there and getting them out that way, then swapping those bolts out with a normal hex head bolt.

Can anyone give me any tips here? This is on my 1998 Contour SVT... :(

PB Blaster and heat. If you have access to a good torch, heat the bolt up then spray it while it's hot. Having a good socket is also important as the higher quality stuff has to meet higher specs.

Try to get yourself in the best position possible for leverage. You want to be able to pull smoothly without a lot of tilt either way so the socket doesn't cam out. You might have to get under the car and go from the back to make it work right.

PB Blaster and heat. If you have access to a good torch, heat the bolt up then spray it while it's hot. Having a good socket is also important as the higher quality stuff has to meet higher specs.

The only torch I have is propane. Will that work?

Could you possibly get some vice grips on it?

I probably could. I'm going to get a better Torx socket, plus the PB Blaster and my torch and give it another go tonight first. I'll keep this thread updated with my results... :nod:

If you only have propane you should soak the bolt first. Once you let it penetrate for a little while, heat it up then spray it again while hot.

Thanks, I'll try that. Regardless, I'm replacing those bolts, no more Torx! :)

I ended up using the PB Blaster, my propane torch, and vice grips to get the torx bolts off. Just could not get enough leverage to keep those sockets in there. I ended up replacing the bolts with the hex heads. Thanks to all who helped! :)