Any interest in a "Clubhouse?"

Doc1647545523

Long read -- Cliffs @ end

I had an idea something like this around 3 years ago when I was looking to rent a large space near Polaris. Just lately, flat tire and I were brainstorming on a similar theme. Here's the vague idea:

On the south side of Delaware, where I currently lease a 3,000 sq.ft. storage space, I have the opportunity to rent 5,550 sq.ft., with 5,000 sq.ft. of that in a well-lit, heated space with epoxy floors, 35' ceiling, and two car wash bays with drains. There is about 400 sq. ft. of nicely finished office-type space with individually-controlled heat and a/c. There are two huge overhead doors with openers and man doors into the office area on one side and into the "garage" space from the other direction. There is a huge outdoor parking area well-lit, not within sight of the public road. There is a slop sink in the garage area (hot and cold water), but the public rest rooms require you walk to another part of the building. Access is going to be all paved, unlike my current situation which has part-gravel.

I have considered installing a lift in the garage area and furnishing the office area with sofas, maybe a big screen TV, video game console. From my experience with my current garage, I can tell you that heating all this space and keeping it clean is more expensive and time-consuming than I can commit to alone.

So, my goofy idea would be to offer some combination of the following:

1) monthly rental space for CR members/my friends to store cars or bikes ($50 for car/$15 for bike?)

2) a monthly "mechanic" membership to allow access to the garage to work on your car, use the lift, use the indoor wash bays in cold weather (maybe $25?)

3) a monthly "social" membership ($10?) allowing you a place to hangout, watch movies, use of the fridge, sound system etc.

4) a place capable of hosting a large meet, away from watchful eyes, with plenty of indoor space in bad weather, room for a portable dyno, etc.

5) a place for RC cars in winter, maybe build a slot car track, ?????

This would have no connection to CR; it would be my responsibility and transactions would be through me. The fees are needed to offset the utility costs (huge heating bill) and help pay for the lift and the overall wear-and-tear. There could be no illegal drugs or reckless behavior on the premises, no parking lot ricer antics, no disrespectful behavior. I would like to keep the number of "members" small and the arrangements informal. I'm not about to let just anyone have access to my cars, my tools, my space. Everyone would have a key to the place.

Members who can't afford the fees would do some cleaning or routine maintenance in lieu of all or part of their fees.

I'm open to input/suggestions/criticisms. The idea is pretty vague at this point and I'm sure there are lots of things I haven't thought through. My biggest reservation is that lots of people may not be keen on having this in south Delaware, 15 miles north of I-270. However, if it's something I'm doing, it would have to be here.

Cliffs: Wanna come to my Clubhouse?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Everyone would have a key to the place.

IMO, THIS is a BAD idea. The thought is good, but in reality, I would not want random CR Members around anything of mine whenever they wanted.

I saw Dyno Brian's want to help EVERYONE turn into missing tools and supplies. I would hate to see an ebattle turn into someone damaging or borrowing something or out of spite.

The overall concept is good, but not unlimited access to all.

KillJoy

Thanks for the feedback, but we actually agree on this. It would not be open to everyone. I would have to be careful who would be allowed to do this. I guess everyone storing things with me would have to trust that no riffraff would be let in.

However, anyone who paid a cent would need to have a key.

I guess in some ways, I'm already doing this. I open my shop for people wanting to clean their cars in the winter, I have allowed people to store bikes and cars there, we've had a meet there.

My frustration is that there isn't a lot of room right now, so I've had to turn people down when they've asked to use my place to work on a car for a few weeks. I can't give up that space and also get my stored cars in & out.

I also don't have any comfortable "lounge" area to just hang-out. Having a few hundred square feet with heat & a/c would be much nicer.

If I had the funds, I'd just do it and say forget any fee. But I'm not at the point where I can install a lift, pay to heat such a big place, and keep it all clean myself. Yet I'd like to provide a space like this for my friends. I wish I'd had access to something like this when I was younger.

You know I will be 100% in to store and work on my 240 there. I could really really use this. My car is at my sponsors shop now and I love all the space and abundance of tools. I just can't handle the long drive to go work on my car. If we can get this going you can expect me there almost every day of the week since im just a rock toss away. As long as we can do something about keeping sticky fingers away then im in!

I think this is an amazing idea, but then again I am an overly trusting person. I am unsure of how you will choose trustworthy members, but I am sure there are people you don't know very well (like me) that are trusting and would love to be a part of it. Maybe having applicants pay for a background check to submit to you?

There has to be a good way in order to figure out trust worthy members. Once that is done, I think the real issue is respect! Make a mess, clean it up! Use a tool, wipe the tool clean and put it back! Respect could turn into an issue of the blame game! Maybe a few security camera's, that would also protect from theft that's unrelated to members.

BTW, I live an hour away, and would use it as often as possible. And I have no problem donating my Computer and networking skills if needed.

Good point, Jeffro. I've thought about the liability. The liability is only manageable for me if this is limited to trustworthy, sensible individuals.

I really appreciate people looking for possible problems with this idea and posting their thoughts. There are bound to be angles I haven't considered.

But, in the balance, we all have many liabilities in our daily lives that we accept and try to keep at a minimum, but we don't limit ourselves because of our fear of what might happen. I had quite a few people warn me not to have a CR meet at my shop because of all the legal risks, stuff that would be stolen, damage to the place, and trash that would be left behind. Yet, people worked together, were reasonable, respected the place, and there were no problems I was aware of. Maybe I was just lucky? I'd like to think that good people, given the chance to make good choices, will try to do that.

People I would allow in my place would have to be friends from CR I knew and trusted, just as Kill Joy said. This wouldn't be an offer open to the public, or even open to just any CR lurker who thought he could take advantage of the offer. If someone breaks the rules, they're out.

Could possibly also use a key card format that logs when people have visited and left, just in case. It may not perfectly identify a shady member, but it would narrow it down for future investigation. I think that's a good investment for a small price. It would help members feel more secure about leaving personal belongings there, and also bring an awareness that we know you where here and when!

Security Cameras. Key Card Access, or a Security System w/ Individual Codes. A Waiver of Liability on your part. How would it be if someone improperly racked a car, it fell on them, and their Family sued you. That would suck.

KillJoy

Im up for that doc, Lift is a good idea but i see people fighting over it or someone Fixing something that turns out to take a lot longer. Honestly, i would just leave it as a place for storage for the people you have and just enjoy it as a hang out. I dont mind throwing money in to hang out.

Neal, there'd be no need for background checks. If I didn't know and trust someone, I wouldn't allow him to store stuff there. It would be limited to someone I personally knew or someone that a trusted friend vouched for.

My tentative idea would be that it would be a month-to-month thing, and I'd have to see how it worked out. It will be small on the storage and mechanic end, because space isn't unlimited and we don't need people fighting over scheduling the lift.

It will have a security system, and I suspect Thorne will help me with security cameras. This would be for everyone's safety and peace of mind. He has a system that you can access on your phone to check the place when you're away.

We'd probably have to agree to a no-guest rule. Things could go bad if someone decided to start giving tours of the place. :gtfo:

Security Cameras. Key Card Access, or a Security System w/ Individual Codes. A Waiver of Liability on your part. How would it be if someone improperly racked a car, it fell on them, and their Family sued you. That would suck.

KillJoy

Very good points. I hadn't thought of the individual access codes. That would be an extra measure of accountability.

The lift adds additional problems and risks, no doubt about it. It would be so nice to have, though. Much to think about.

KillJoy

Yup ;)

We'd probably have to agree to a no-guest rule. Things could go bad if someone decided to start giving tours of the place. :gtfo:

I am working on my car. I have a bud come over to help (not on CR or the "list").......

:confused:

KillJoy

I am working on my car. I have a bud come over to help (not on CR or the "list").......

:confused:

KillJoy

My preliminary thought is, he couldn't. No guests. It sucks, but we'd have to have that understanding in advance. This wouldn't be acceptable to many people, but that's okay. I'm not interested in expanding a business, I'm interested in keeping it small, simple, safe.