Any interest in a "Clubhouse?"

Doc1647545523

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a great idea. If tools are provided just have a camera pointed at that area and you'll know who to ask. If theres only trustworthy people allowed then the tool will mostly be returned or replaced.

Maybe people who store there cars boat etc.. has to have insurance and as for the lifts have a time limit regardless if there done or not, unless there's nobody schedule for that day and always keep the car roll able.

I would also like to have a place where people could change something on there car and have fun chatting with friends and being in a good environment .Keep us updated Doc

Personal locker,key card,background check, liability waver signed, vouches,insurance Should all be done.

All good comments. Thanks.

I hadn't thought about lockers or locking storage, Gabe. In fact, I'd like to stay away from that, although I understand your concern. Perhaps people who feel they want that can bring some means of locking up their stuff (such as in a car trunk).

There is, however, a separate room behind the office, heated but no a/c, which could be kept locked and could have tables or shelves for valuables, toolboxes, and the like. But, again, when you have more than one person with a key, there could always be the question of something being borrowed or stolen. And then there's the issue of having other people around during meets ...... will your "buddies" feel they have permission to check out your build? Most people really hate that, and I don't blame them. How about your brother-in-law who is just dying to see the Century, or the Bentley? It would be so tempting to bring him along in the spring when you pick up your bike from storage and give him an unofficial tour. :(

I think I'm resigned to going with key cards and cameras, and not trying to have individual locking storage. I'll have to figure a way of assuring security during a CR meet or open house. As you can see from the thread, some people are willing to donate items and loan tools and equipment; I don't want to have any of that put at risk.

I'm torn on these considerations. I'd still like to keep it very informal, just as I have it at my garage now: some on CR have a key, sometimes people come around in a group to work on cars, some have things in storage there. It all has an "over at a friend's garage" feel to it. No one would consider trashing the place or stealing from me. To keep this feel, it may need to stay very small, like maybe 6 or so storage/mechanic spots, all of whom know each other and trust one another. Perhaps the social members (limited to 30 or so?) wouldn't have access to the main garage unless I'm around. Still a lot to think about.

I guess the locker idea is pretty popular. Yeah, well there could be crude lockers made, or an old one located and brought in, and folks could put their own padlocks on their bin.

My prejudice against lockers is that in the event a thief gets access, it tells him where the valuables are.

Very generous idea. Heck I'd be likely to sow up for general fun such as meets and cookouts. The posts about the whole home depot experience are not shocking but are a main reason don't come out to them. I have zero interesting being around young kids not at allnassociated with my friends on CR acting like fools causing the cops to show.

I think if anything a spot for meets is a great idea. Sat afternoon cookouts and fun alone would be great.

One of my buddies has a wii he is getting rid of for next to nothing right now that i'd be willing to buy, get it modded and donate to the entertainment area. I may have an extra 360 soon as well

This would be the type of thing we should watch for, but I would hold off buying anything (unless you want it for yourself) until I make the lease and we set-up and agree on a plan. Although I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the lease, clubhouse or not, everything should be considered to be in the pipedreaming stage for now.

I have $300 right now for the year of lift use. I would just use it for oil changes and tire rotation and switching out summer/winter setups, and hanging out every once in a while. Key card access sounds like the best Idea, but I wonder how expensive that is. I have a small refrigerator and microwave at work I can move up there as I don't use it at work much anymore.

I do think a high security deposit would be a good idea if one has acess to te work bays/lifts/tools. That would insure if tools went missing there would be a fund to pull from and everyone would know that. I would think it would keep the sticky fingers out. Maybe im talking outta my ass, just a thought.

x2

x2

Not interested if ^ is a member.:gabe:

Haha My perfect clubhouse group was last night from 1am to 4am. But we missed you aaron, and doc was not there...

Dear CR,

When a good idea is presented to you please refrain from going overboard with suggestions. Although your opinion, creativity, and looking out for Doc is appreciated it has a tendency to cause a "too many hands in the cookie jar" situation. Typically when we deal with threads like this its more of a what if.... Doc can make this happen!! Going overly complex with the layout and plan will make it that much harder to execute. Thinking worse case scenario as far as insurance is concerned is great. Worse case scenario in the rules and planning can kill the idea. Doc is an extremely smart guy. Let him work his magic and I'm sure it will be awesome. After things are in full swing you can bring up suggestions like lockers, schedules, painting, etc. Add-ons are a lot easier to do once you are physically in the place and see how things are running. Face to face planning sessions to build onto the greatness will without a doubt lead to an awesome place that could easily expand with our support.

Doc, you do a lot for this site and car enthusiasts in general. It may not happen as often as it should but I want to thank you for everything you do.

I would just use it for oil changes and tire rotation and switching out summer/winter setups, and hanging out every once in a while.

+1. I think this is a neat idea. You're a heckuva nice and generous guy, Doc. I will second Brian's post of thanks.

Very generous idea. Heck I'd be likely to sow up for general fun such as meets and cookouts. The posts about the whole home depot experience are not shocking but are a main reason don't come out to them. I have zero interesting being around young kids not at allnassociated with my friends on CR acting like fools causing the cops to show.

I think if anything a spot for meets is a great idea. Sat afternoon cookouts and fun alone would be great.

Doc,

I love the idea and the willingness on your part to make this happen. I don't need the storage space or lift, but would interested as a social member. To cover you from liability you need to have the lift in a special area away from the other storage area.

Rick