Any interest in a "Clubhouse?"

Doc1647545523

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if retards like codyh join count me out. i dont work 40 hrs a week to have assclowns like him fucking with my stuff.

Well it seems he is making all the rules and running the books. If that's the case, I'll pay in broken crayons and pocket lint.

No, you are right. I wont be a member if faggets like you are there.

Its spelled faggot, and yes I would know. And yes it is hurt full.

And dont tell me I am right, I know I am right.

Its spelled faggot, and yes I would know. And yes it is hurt full.

And dont tell me I am right, I know I am right.

Sweet Jesus, you may be a bigger idiot than I originally thought. Every time you post you keep digging that hole bigger, and bigger.

Ya guys.... A social membership will NOT give you access to the lifts or work on your car areas.

Maybe the washbay?? IDK. Also a social member will not even have access to the shop portion of the garage.

I am fine with that. I already have a lift and space.

if retards like codyh join count me out. i dont work 40 hrs a week to have assclowns like him fucking with my stuff.

No, you are right. I wont be a member if faggets like you are there.

Sweet Jesus, you may be a bigger idiot than I originally thought. Every time you post you keep digging that hole bigger, and bigger.

Shut the fuck up.

I agree with all of these statements.

If you guys wanna argue, take it in the kitchen. Leave Docs thread clean. On a more serious note, I don't mind paying a monthly membership for a place to hang out and not worry about some idiot doing a burnout in the parking lot in his 95 Saturn station wagon. Just like stated before, it would be a good idea if the people attending are trustworthy people.

This sounds like something that I would like to be in also. Only thing I would love to have again when ever I needed would be a tire mount/dismounter and balancer for swaping out wheels and tires. If there was an area that allowed for a small inground lift for just changing tires would be sweet. Kinda like the ones from Discount Tire but into the floor 1-2" for us cars that like a little more low. I've seen them installed in some peoples personal garages just to swap out tires so I don't think they are to pricey. Plus I think it will limit the amount of damage people can do if they are new at using lifts.

I'd be in for whatever fee to try and schedule time on a lift. It's a PITA working in a 10x22ish garage on drive-up ramps. I can't go under the car at 90°!

I'd be up for storing a car there as well, if it wasn't so far away. Who knows though, my opinion might change there as well.

All of this is pretty irrelevant since I have no vouch anyways.

BUT, if you install this, I'll double my rent ;)

I appreciate that you have all thought about how this might happen and some of the things to avoid.

I got a quote from the landlord with some creative plans. He is trying to accomodate me, but there are certainly some hurdles. This is quite a large space (62' x 90'), not well insulated, and is heated by 150' of radiant gas heaters putting out 525,000 btu's. I love the idea of heating with waste oil, but there's the cost of the unit, installation, and running it can become complicated when multiple people are involved. We might need the United Nations to decide what temp the place should be, who can crank it up when he wants to work on his car, how high it should be set, blah, blah, blah. Just to give you some idea, my current space is 3,000 sf, generally kept at 40F, fairly insulated, only heated up when I am present, and I had a gas bill one month of $600. The new place could easily cost double that to heat.

I am going to post photos of the place, perhaps this weekend.

This project may have to occur in steps, starting with just storage. People renting storage would have the right to work on their cars. That would be all at first -- no mechanic/washing memberships, no social memberships. Very simple.

Another idea that has been proposed is to have an automotive-related business take some of the space. This provides on-site supervision when I'm not there. There could still be some storage rental and perhaps a common tool/mechanic area which I would provide free of charge to anyone on CR. However, either the business staff or I would have to be on-site when the mechanic area is in use. I am negotiating with the business owner this week.

The lift is on hold for now.

Some people are getting a little tense that they might be excluded. As I envision it, when I'm on-site or when there's a meet, then everyone from CR is welcome, but anything in storage is completely off-limits, probably locked away from public access. When I'm not around, then only people with cars/bikes in storage have any access to the place.

As I've said, everything's tentative right now. It's not going to turn out EXACTLY like you want it or I want it. There will eventually be a proposal, and it will be sign up or don't sign up; no hard feelings. I hope to have a plan to present to the group by July.

Just to muddy the water a bit, I've also considered a much simpler plan:

I might sell a car or two, re-arrange my current shop, and just loan out the entrance bay to any CR member who needs it for washing or wrenching, no charge. I've done that a number of times, but with the current inventory, it's pretty tight for me if I let someone leave their car there overnight. I can rent the office adjacent to my shop (in the front of the building, where we served food during my meet), set up a small office area there, and have social meets there anytime we want. There is a kitchenette, separate heat/AC, and an excellent view of the paved/lit parking lot where our cars are. The front lot holds 20 cars and it would be easy to put 100 cars along the side lot. I think the room can accomodate a big screen and about 20-25 people. Two restrooms are right there in the hallway. This might meet the needs of the "social members" who want to be able to watch their cars, get pizza, watch a movie or play video games, in bad weather or good. I wouldn't charge anything for this, of course, and I wouldn't care if a few CR members have keys to the office area.

I few final things I should mention:

No one speaks for me. Nothing's been decided yet. No one will be excluded from the premises when I'm there unless they're being a jerk. The rules will be simple: respect others, respect yourself, respect the premises.

I appreciate that you have all thought about how this might happen and some of the things to avoid.

I got a quote from the landlord with some creative plans. He is trying to accomodate me, but there are certainly some hurdles. This is quite a large space (62' x 90'), not well insulated, and is heated by 150' of radiant gas heaters putting out 525,000 btu's. I love the idea of heating with waste oil, but there's the cost of the unit, installation, and running it can become complicated when multiple people are involved. We might need the United Nations to decide what temp the place should be, who can crank it up when he wants to work on his car, how high it should be set, blah, blah, blah. Just to give you some idea, my current space is 3,000 sf, generally kept at 40F, fairly insulated, only heated up when I am present, and I had a gas bill one month of $600. The new place could easily cost double that to heat.

This project may have to occur in steps, starting with just storage. People renting storage would have the right to work on their cars. That would be all at first -- no mechanic/washing memberships, no social memberships. Very simple.

Another idea that has been proposed is to have an automotive-related business take some of the space. This provides on-site supervision when I'm not there. There could still be some storage rental and perhaps a common tool/mechanic area which I would provide free of charge to anyone on CR. However, either the business staff or I would have to be on-site when the mechanic area is in use. I am negotiating with the business owner this week.

Some people are getting a little tense that they might be excluded. As I envision it, when I'm on-site or when there's a meet, then everyone from CR is welcome, but anything in storage is completely off-limits, probably locked away from public access. When I'm not around, then only people with cars/bikes in storage have any access to the place.

As I've said, everything's tentative right now. It's not going to turn out EXACTLY like you want it or I want it. There will eventually be a proposal, and it will be sign up or don't sign up; no hard feelings. I hope to have a plan to present to the group by July.

I might sell a car or two, re-arrange my current shop, and just loan out the entrance bay to any CR member who needs it for washing or wrenching, no charge. I've done that a number of times, but with the current inventory, it's pretty tight for me if I let someone leave their car there overnight. I can rent the office adjacent to my shop (in the front of the building, where we served food during my meet), set up a small office area there, and have social meets there anytime we want. There is a kitchenette, separate heat/AC, and an excellent view of the paved/lit parking lot where our cars are. The front lot holds 20 cars and it would be easy to put 100 cars along the side lot. I think the room can accomodate a big screen and about 20-25 people. Two restrooms are right there in the hallway. This might meet the needs of the "social members" who want to be able to watch their cars, get pizza, watch a movie or play video games, in bad weather or good. I wouldn't charge anything for this, of course, and I wouldn't care if a few CR members have keys to the office area.

No one speaks for me. Nothing's been decided yet. No one will be excluded from the premises when I'm there unless they're being a jerk. The rules will be simple: respect others, respect yourself, respect the premises.

With summer just around the corner i dont see having any type of AC or heat being needed. However when the winter months come around instead of trying to heat a big area, i dont see any reason why a space heater couldnt be used for the person working on their car or doing whatever. This could cut down on costs and make it easy.

How much is a waste oil unit? the people that will be storing their cars there can go in on it equally and when/if a person leaves the next person coming in has to pay that portion, so the person leaving gets their money back? just an idea.

I get what your saying and back you in this endeavor but other people is what scares the living shit out of me. The Liability alone is what steers me away from something like this, I wouldnt my stuff stored there and something happen to it because of anothers actions.

• 1 month later...

I thought you might want an update. I'm proceeding with the plan I've outlined above. I've arranged to lease the office space connected to my shop, which is around 900 or so square feet. It has two outside entrances, one from this parking lot (as seen from the front windows of the office):

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/office/viewfrontlot.jpg

and the other entrance is from this very large parking lot (as seen from the small office in the suite):

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/office/lookingeast.jpg

This arrangement gives the office an excellent view of two lit, paved parking lots which are empty at night, outside of the City of Delaware, and a good ways from the road (but not hidden from the road).

My plan for the larger room

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/office/viewfromdoor.jpg

is to make it an informal patient reception room with comfortable furniture, and a large TV on the wall. It will probably only get used one or two nights per month as a free psychiatric clinic.

For CR purposes, tables for food can be added, a gaming console hooked up, refreshments brought in to the kitchenette. There is a drink machine and two restrooms in the entry hallway, right outside the glass door:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/office/frontroom.jpg

The smaller office is where I'll have my desk and better furniture.

Both offices have excellent views of the cars outside:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/office/view1.jpg

I think it would be an accomodating place for a meal and a meet, especially when the weather isn't cooperating.

The office has an inside door into my existing shop. The plan is for me to rearrange the space so that I can accomodate two spaces for CR members to use to work on their cars, at their own risk. The new spaces shouldn't interfere with access to my stored cars, so if a project needs to go on for a week or two, it shouldn't be a problem. Washing cars in the winter should also be a lot easier with the additional space.

I'm not going to rent spaces or memberships--it'll be free. I'll have a few spare keys with people who need them, but I'll be on site when the office area is in use. People working on cars in my shop can come and go as they please.

I think this will be up and running in the first part of August. I'd like to replace the carpet, which is glued down, no pad. Anyone have experience installing carpet or can get a big discount? I've got about 900 square feet to do and the vinyl baseboard to replace. I'll also be looking for a nice TV which can be mounted on the wall, and a decent video console and games. If you can get a deal, PM me with details.

We'll have another open house when I get this completed. Perhaps a cookout, we'll have to see. ;)

Edited by Doc

this kind of thing works great for a small community....for something as bg as CR, I don t believe it is wise or logistically sane at all

'

edit: but of course, I am ready and willing to be proven wrong, with delight.....and a side of cole slaw

this kind of thing works great for a small community....for something as bg as CR, I don t believe it is wise or logistically sane at all

'

edit: but of course, I am ready and willing to be proven wrong, with delight.....and a side of cole slaw

You're right, of course, Rich. The last open house I had for CR at my garage drew 160 members, fed 90 at lunch, and was such a disaster. :p

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67087

A few of the pics:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=970983&postcount=180

Doc, I am incredibly impressed by all that you're willing to do. I think what needs to happen soon is a list compiled of goods people are willing to donate. I for one know I have tons of extra amenities that could use a new home.