New TURBO Vette!?

Main3s

:dumb:

Shit Chevrolet>Mitsu any day.

Luckily if they do it it won't be the only Engine available. However they need to start looking at their powertrains. The LS series was released in what? 1997? Designing started in the late 80's? It's time. They need to steal a few Engineers from Ford. Granted it took 21 years, but the Mod motors are finally making power. If the ZR1 had been a bigger hit in the early 90's GM would have stuck with DOHC.

LS1 is a GEN-III SBC. The GEN-IV SBC (LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9, LSA, etc) started in 2005.

DOHC is another way of doing things, but it is barely any newer than OHV motor technology. Mod motor wise, Ford still hasn't caught up top dog N/A vs top dog N/A or top FI vs top FI. OHV are a lighter, more compact way of doing things. Take a look a DOHC 4.6L mod motor vs a 7L LS7 - that mod motor is a LOT bigger even though the displacement is much smaller. GM is providing easy to work on and mod motors that make a lot of power, with room to grow and getting good fuel economy in the process for the power they make.

......Waiting for Phil from The Motor City to chime in and clarify things a bit.

Haha, glad to be the authority on these type of things.

Honestly, I don't know anything about the future of the Corvette. Although I could see two things happening.

1) We already know from the leaked Caddy ATS-V specs that it will get a 6.2L, direct injected, independantly variable valve timing, 470 HP naturally aspirated OHV V8. I would look at this being the base Corvette engine, seeing as how it appears to be an evolution of the LS3.

2) The Corvette needs to be GM's halo car, and they want it to showcase advanced technology. I could see them doing a different powertrain in the name of trying to earn a "higher-tech" reputation. I which case it would be something direct injected, DOHC, VVT, VVL, turbo.

What's most likely to happen?

Corvette will most likely stay true to its roots. The interior is going to move up-market, the handling will evolve (MagnaRide for all), the LS Gen V OHV V8 will be the engine of choice, and possibly a "DSG-type" gearbox offered in some models.

Cadillac is going to remain the "Euro-techy" brand and the XLR will get the "higher-tech" powertrain in order to relate to the European sports cars.

My last scenario has GM making a "downmarket" V6 sports car and moving the base Corvette "upmarket" to compete better with other $80-100k sports cars. i.e. Corvette becomes a brand, not just a model.

LS1 is a GEN-III SBC. The GEN-IV SBC (LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9, LSA, etc) started in 2005.

DOHC is another way of doing things, but it is barely any newer than OHV motor technology. Mod motor wise, Ford still hasn't caught up top dog N/A vs top dog N/A or top FI vs top FI. OHV are a lighter, more compact way of doing things. Take a look a DOHC 4.6L mod motor vs a 7L LS7 - that mod motor is a LOT bigger even though the displacement is much smaller. GM is providing easy to work on and mod motors that make a lot of power, with room to grow and getting good fuel economy in the process for the power they make.

True packaging has always been a problem with OHC. Don't get me wrong the LS series motors are a great base, and a prime example of the KISS principle. OHV motors won't be going away anytime soon. But just like anything else, there is always room to improve.

True packaging has always been a problem with OHC. Don't get me wrong the LS series motors are a great base, and a prime example of the KISS principle. OHV motors won't be going away anytime soon. But just like anything else, there is always room to improve.

IMO, "room to improve" means the OHV architecture with a FIAT MultiAir-like valve actuation. Nearly infinately variable valve lift and duration, with the tight packaging of the LS.

The lsx motors are based partly off of the Windsor motor ask any head builder they use a Windsor exsauhst port on those Jesus made heads...

Bed time now cuz that dosnt even make sense to me

I did hear they copied the firing order??

They just needed a 350 hp v6 option for tree hugging hippie fags, and a TT LSX for real dick swingers. Put capable traction control on it, and call it a fucking bloodbath in all of the next round of new sports car testing. The current Vette is the best version yet, period. If it ain't broke, dont fix it!

The point of the Vette is that you get a Supercar, for an Blue Collar budget. That's fucking AMERICAN god damn it.

They just needed a 350 hp v6 option for tree hugging hippie fags, and a TT LSX for real dick swingers. Put capable traction control on it, and call it a fucking bloodbath in all of the next round of new sports car testing. The current Vette is the best version yet, period. If it ain't broke, dont fix it!

The point of the Vette is that you get a Supercar, for an Blue Collar budget. That's fucking AMERICAN god damn it.

ha ha ha ha, that actually made me laugh. Couldn't have put it any better myself.

On the other hand, I do find the thought of a turbo vette to be intriguing.