financial crew: best points/perks?

copperhead

What are the best credit cards out there all around? I get a pile of 0% offers weekly so my credit isn't a worry. I'll be doing a $6,000 balance transfer that I will start making a large dent on starting here in the next few months when I sell my jeep. After that I plan on using the card for day to day expenses and monthly bills to rack up points and just using my entire paychecks as payments to it. I'm wanting something that will still be worth keeping once introductory rates are over which means a reasonable interest rate and I'd like to stay away from Citi since they can't keep hackers out. Online banking would also be a plus.

If it matters, I currently bank with pnc and ing

Been rocking the new BOA Cash Rewards card, really liking it. Simple 1% back on everything regardless with no limits. Got $250 in there already. At this rate, It will pay for the next vacation.

Discover also has great rewards, but with more "catches" and more work involved.

Discover also has great rewards, but with more "catches" and more work involved.

^^ this. They are running a promo now for charging $3k per month x 3 months you'll get $500 in rewards. I'm now using it for all my business expenses as my company could care less. I'll pay it off each month and come Sept, $500 comes to daddy :)

^^ this. They are running a promo now for charging $3k per month x 3 months you'll get $500 in rewards. I'm now using it for all my business expenses as my company could care less. I'll pay it off each month and come Sept, $500 comes to daddy :)

I don't make that much in a month so I probably shouldn't spend that much in a month

So, you've got unsecured credit card debt that you want to switch to a 0% interest card so you can pay it off but continue to use it for daily expenses and dont mind a 'reasonable' interest rate? Did i get that right?

Please dont take this to mean im insulting you in anyway but there's no such thing as a 'reasonable interest rate'. An interest rate is simply a way for a bank or institution to make money off of you. So if you want to use said card for day to day expenses aswell as monthly bills just to get the perks im sure you could use a regular check card/debit card and save the money you would pay in interest as your own 'perk rewards' of sorts. Just an idea. Theres no such thing as free rewards or free money, they're going to make a profit off of if in some way or another. And before people jump my shit and tell me all the cases in which they have a 0% interest card and make shit tons of money off of it, Im sure there are instance's of people getting cash back but in some way or another the bank issuing the card will make their money back eventually.

pnc and chase and I believe all banks are doing away with points on debit accounts in the next couple months.

I know that any interest is a bad idea, but I'm already paying interest so it would be hard to be worse off. A 0% intro rate seems pretty standard any more, and my point was that once that is over with, moving into an interest rate that is somewhere around 7% would be acceptable to me. If it jumps up to say 17% then I wouldn't consider it. Also, I'm paying down my credit card now as it is and in a few weeks I'm putting up for sale my jeep that I have a loan on. I already have something in place to replace it that I paid for in cash, which means the $350 a month I was spending on it will also go into paying down my debt. I'm expecting to be debt free with the exception of the mortgage in under a year, which is also why 0% for a year would be nice. After that, I would be paying it off every month so interest shouldn't really matter, but I'd rather the rate not be insane because you never know.

I use one of my AMEX cards for everything. Gas, food, clothes, pay all my other bills online with it.

I pay it off every month and never pay any interest. The points rack up fast using it to pay literally everything I spend. A multiplier hits after the first couple months of every year, and over a 12 month span it ends up with around a $1500 cash rebate. Sometimes I check the other "redeemable perks" because sometime you can get say $300 worth of a gift certificate for $200 worth of Amex dollars already accrued.

You just have to make sure you really pay it off EVERY month. If not, your always on the losing side.

I travel for business and find that I get the points card for what I am doing. I am currently using a Hilton Amex, for the Hilton points. I now have so many I don't need more, so I will probably switch to United as I want more reward miles.

What do I do with all of this? Simple. I am taking my wife and two boys (4 of us total) to Hawaii for a week in a pretty sweet resort. Hilton Waikaloa Village. Cost, Airfare = free, Hotel = free, Car Rental = $200, Food = TBD. Looking at maybe $600 total for 4 people to hawaii. Current airfare to Kona is $700pp. Do what you want to do with the points and don't lock into a single card if you don't want to.

Good advice there. Another question - how do you redeem miles and what all can they be used on? If the answer is "not much" then I might just go with the priceline card since I can do everything involving travel and vacation with it

Good advice there. Another question - how do you redeem miles and what all can they be used on? If the answer is "not much" then I might just go with the priceline card since I can do everything involving travel and vacation with it

With and airline card, or hotel card, they just go into your miles account with the brand. Then you go to the mile/points redemption page and book a flight or hotel. I will say that it isn't always the flight you want, and you have to work at it a bit. I booked this trip 7 months ago, but I know when I am going to want to go so its easy.

Capital One has a card that does points for travel. Seems easier because you can use it on any airline, hotel or rental car. I travel ~130,000 miles per year so I stay on one airline as the perks add up faster.

Now, what problem do you want to solve? What is the goal?

Have a personal and business Capital one Venture card... Double points on every purchase for travel. We use the card for EVERYTHING then try to pay off every month, earned enough last year for 3 free flights to maui, and 6 free flights to Orlando.

Now, what problem do you want to solve? What is the goal?

not sure that's there is any problem to solve. I'm wanting to go on cruises but also be able to use points for the flights there and back. I hardly ever travel so I can't use that kind of purchase to build points so I'll need to use regular spending to get there. Also, I figure if I'm going to be spending money every day then I may as well be using that spending to my advantage.

not sure that's there is any problem to solve. I'm wanting to go on cruises but also be able to use points for the flights there and back. I hardly ever travel so I can't use that kind of purchase to build points so I'll need to use regular spending to get there. Also, I figure if I'm going to be spending money every day then I may as well be using that spending to my advantage.

No Hassle rewards card is what you want.