A thread for the hardcore grill guys

XChris1632X

I have mentioned it in a thread or two but I am in the market for a new grill. In my quest to pick out a new one I stumbled on this.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

The green egg is similiar to the Primo, and the Grill Dome. I have read nothing but outstanding reviews on this thing, other than one person bitching about cost. I am not the best at grilling but I love it. I want a better grill to improve my food but I have to draw the line on cost somewhere. Would anyone here even consider an $800 grill? I have done a lot of reading about them here.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2767&highlight=green

Some people have two, a large and a medium for side dishes. Thats a shit load of money for a damn grill!

Anyone have any experience? Am i completely retarded in even considering dropping $800 on one of these?

I haven't found a grill that is worth paying that much for. In my opinion you should just build one.

That was my initial thought. My wife is going to buy me one for fathers day. She said to pick out a $600 one but I was originally looking at a few $300 gas/charcoal/smoker combos when I found this.

Cousin has the primo and loves it, sure it was costly but he says he likes the food way better on there then anything else he has cooked with.

Everything I have read about people who have one say the price is easily justified. That is just a big price to pay. So far I have not been able to convince myself to take that leap.

If I paid $800 for a grill you can bet your ass I'd tell people it was the best thing since sliced bread. Kamado style cookers are efficient so they'll hold heat better and are pretty versatile. They however won't magically make your food better. :D You have to practice and experiment for that to happen. More dollars doesn't always mean better food. You're usually paying for efficiency and convenience.

I would say you need to define what you're looking to do with it. Are you going to smoke food more than grill or grill more than smoke? Do you want convenience or are you willing to make it a process? Are you going to be cooking for groups of people or just you and your gf/wife?

What I'm getting at is define what you're looking for and then get a list together that fits those requirements. You don't have to have the latest greatest thing out there to make good food on the grill/smoker. I paid like $180 for my smoker which I also use as a grill. I can buy a lot of meat with that $620 difference in price. :D

haters will hate, but I have a big green egg and love it. the key behind it is the way it cooks at such an even tempeture yet can get upwards of 750* and yet cool to the touch on the outside.

we use ours mainly for very slow cooking and smoking of meats. key is to use real lump charcoal. not that shit you buy in a bag from Kroger. I can cook all day long on a lump of charcoal the size of a common brick.

we keep ours at the farmhouse as we don't have a stove out there. no problem, I use it to make pancakes on sundays and my wife even makes pizza in it. it's awesome.

I can't imagine it being worth that much, but whatever floats your boat. I have no expierence with them.

If you decide to get one, they carry them at Strader's, at least at the one at Riverside and Hayden. It's the only place I've noticed them.

On the rare occasion I feel the need and have the time to cook something over real heat I make a fire.

They were using the BGE grills on Pitmasters. Apparently they really like to hang on to lighting fluid fumes, so always use a chimney starter.

I would love to pick up or build a smoker. But I really don't need another hobby. At most, I want to pick up a simple little grill for the back of the ambulance.

my brother just bought a brickman smoker from walmart for $38. its not too bad for starting out. same shape and size of the green egg. Also I know that Bobby Flay uses the green egg on his TV show BBQ addict.

I have a charcoal and a propane and 9 times out of 10 i use the propane just cause its so much easier.

I had the Big Green Egg. I loved it. I could get it up to about 875 degrees. Love cooking steaks on it. It is a great smoker also. Due to the ceramic it will run a full load for around18 hours. I agree ONLY use lump never briquette.

However I still stand by my last recommend on your other thread. Get a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300 and a Weber grill. I sear by that smoker. I have tried offset, electric, gas, puck fed, BGE. I fell in love with the Weber.

Either way you go you will love smoking ;).

The BGE is the best grill I have ever eaten anything off of. My Dad has that and a propane grill. My Dad can cook too. Cook the same steaks on both grills and the BGE will taste better every time. Everything that comes off the BGE will have a smoke ring too... Its beautiful. Its worth the money.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjFsJHaY08p5XhLK1lp3-yzBSKVj58J7OweeM04QBXYRm-71piRQ I had this grill for over 5 years. IT sits outside with no cover and it is not rusting. Uses propane to start charcoal so your food does'nt taste like lighter fluid. Best grill i have ever owned.

i got a $160 chargrill grill with offset smoker, love it and can make some awesome smoked food and grill what ever too.

that's the one I got.....I really like mine. My buddies have the charbroiler like you see at wal-mart. Those arent' bad either. I like their firebox better because you can open the end and just rake the coals out into a bucket but overall the chargriller cooks a little better with the shorter and fatter barrel. Both pretty decent smokers though.....and don't cost $800. :D

I have a weber performer and love it. Use it almost every nice day without any issues. I made a smoker out of 2 55gal drums after having the brinkman smoker. A friend of mine has a primo xl but only got to use it 2 times before the lid fell off. Primo is a stand up company and they are sending him all new stuff to repair it. Although they made the plate in the bottom of the heat box too big and the bottom cracked.

really?!?!?

Fuck you winters, like I haven't seen or heard of your own fair share of ideas of retarded buys lol.

P.S. hurry up and come home already

I have a weber performer and love it. Use it almost every nice day without any issues. I made a smoker out of 2 55gal drums after having the brinkman smoker. A friend of mine has a primo xl but only got to use it 2 times before the lid fell off. Primo is a stand up company and they are sending him all new stuff to repair it. Although they made the plate in the bottom of the heat box too big and the bottom cracked.

Primo xl?! That's well over $1000!!!!!!

I think I'm going to stick to something in the 300-400 range.

chargriller duo.....it'll do everything you'll ever need it to do. If you shop around and look for deals you'll get it with the side box for $300ish or less. Very versatile. Has a smoker on one end that you add a side box too, a propane grill on the other end, and a gas burner next to that. You can also grill directly over the coals in the side box. Not sure you can get any more versatile than that out of one set up in that price range.

Just put on hold my char-griller trio at TSC to pick up tomorrow. Think I'm going to smoke some ribs for fathers day.

Sweet, even better, TSC is the best store known to man.