Retired helmets- how to dispose of?

mrs.cos

So, its time for new helmets in my house, both are now completely retired, via DOT/SNELL standards, this year

I read some people just saw them in half and throw them away so they arent re-used, but, for something that we've had so much fun with, it feels slightly traumatic thing to do.

Is there someplace that recycles them, or uses them for training purposes (EMT/PD/FD)?

If these were painted helmets i would consider keeping them and making a display with them, but they are just plain old white helmets.

The helmets are no longer safe according to SCCA and DOT standards. Not just gonna throw them away, they will be destroyed before i do that, just was wondering if there was something more useful that could be done with them.

Guest Z Fag Jr.
Best thing you can do is cut them in half and toss them, I used to work Fire/Ems we had to do the same with baby seats. Edited by Z Fag Jr.

just out of curiosity, since i have no clue...how does a helmet "go bad"? ive head of bulletproof vests because the kevlar can break down, but how would a solid helmet do so?

plastics break down over time...same reason why child car seats expire after 5-6 years